News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt Langan

Golf Club Atlas Member Intro (Matt Langan)
« on: May 01, 2010, 11:39:53 PM »
Hi all. My name is Matt Langan and I am new to Golf Club Atlas. I'm a senior at Washington and Lee University where I am the co-captain of the men's golf team. I'm from Prospect, Kentucky (which is just outside of Louisville) and I play out at Harmony Landing Country Club in Goshen, Kentucky. I've been a Golf Club Atlas visitor over the last few years and I have a lot of respect for the site's high quality content and loyal readership. I'm really looking forward to getting to know more people who share my interest in golf course architecture. If you are ever passing through Louisville or Virginia (where Washington and Lee University is located), feel free to get in touch with me, and I'll be sure to do my best to point you in the right direction if you are looking for some treasured tracks.

langanm10@mail.wlu.edu
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 11:59:27 PM by Matt Langan »

Jordan Wall

Re: Golf Club Atlas Member Intro (Matt Langan)
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 11:44:36 PM »
You and Tim must be a hard team to beat in a match.

Welcome, Matt, always good to see some younger generation get some representation on the board.

Cheers,
Jordan

Ed Oden

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 11:50:16 PM »
Matt, welcome!  Always good to have another General on the board.  What are your plans after graduation?

Ed
W&L Law '86

PS - You and/or Tim need to do a course profile of Lexington CC.

Matt Langan

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 12:16:17 AM »
Jordan and Ed,

I'm really glad to finally be a part of this great site and its community of members as well. Tim has definitely blazed the trail on the site for me; he knows his stuff! It's too bad this year will be my last at W&L, but it's been great fun and we've improved a lot as a program in recent history.

Ed, I'm not exactly sure what I will be doing post-grad (unfortunately). I've been applying for jobs over the past couple of months, but I haven't had a great deal of success (likely due to the fact that I'm looking for a rather specific type of job). I'm a Business major at W&L and I'm really into entrepreneurship. I've been applying for analyst positions at venture capital firms or angel investor groups and will continue to do so, but it's been a rough go of things so far. As of now, the plan is to head back to Louisville and continue the search while working on my game. Where are you guys from?

Tim and I will definitely get to reviewing LGCC before the end of the year - that's a promise. It's a fun little track - it deserves to get more attention than it currently does.

Ed, were you by chance in Lexington this weekend for Alumni Weekend? Tim, Wilson (another W&L golfer), and myself are in Louisville for the Kentucky Derby.

Ed Oden

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 12:36:11 AM »
Nope, I didn't go to alumni weekend.  But next year is my 25 year law school reunion (I can't believe I just said that).  There will undoubtedly be a party at Beans Bottom that weekend.  Let me know if you come Charlotte, NC way.

Ed

Anthony Gray

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2010, 10:37:03 AM »

Welcome Matt.........Cardinals or Cats?

Anthony

John Mayhugh

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2010, 10:37:33 AM »
Matt,
Welcome to GCA.  Hopefully you were in the stands yesterday instead of the infield.  It looked pretty wet over there!

JC Jones

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2010, 11:30:36 AM »
Welcome Matt!

I told Mayhugh to bet Super Saver but he insisted on the filly.  If only he'd listen to me.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

BCrosby

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2010, 12:38:24 PM »
Welcome Matt. Say hello to Joe Gibson for me.

Bob

Mark Smolens

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2010, 01:10:44 PM »
Matt, my best friend is the IT Director at W & L, Rick Peterson.  Stop by his office and say hi for me. . . Welcome.

Matt Langan

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2010, 08:59:40 PM »
ED: That sounds like a GREAT plan. If I make my way back to Lexington this time next year, we should get in touch and play LGCC. This is the time of year where the course really ripens up.

Anthony: It's the Cards all the way. I cannot wait for the new YUM! Arena to open up in downtown Louisville. Do you have a team?

John:  We actually WERE in the infield and boy was it wet and muddy. I can't afford the big boy seats in the stands just yet. Hopefully being able to do that will happen sooner rather than later!

JC: You're not alone! The night before Super Saver won I was set on betting on him, but I wasn't as interested when his odds fell through the floor. I was sooo frustrated I didn't end up backing him. Have you ever been to the Derby? If you haven't, you've gotta go!

BCrosby: I will definitely tell Joe "Hi." How do you know him?

Mark: Will do.  If it weren't for his work, I probably wouldn't be able to make this post!

John Mayhugh

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2010, 10:15:42 PM »
I told Mayhugh to bet Super Saver but he insisted on the filly.  If only he'd listen to me.

If only!

Eric Smith

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2010, 11:12:15 PM »
Matt, welcome to GCA!

Quick question: What was the most interesting thing you saw in the infield at The Derb?

Thanks,

Eric

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2010, 11:36:17 PM »
Matt, welcome to GCA!

Quick question: What was the most interesting thing you saw in the infield at The Derb?

Thanks,

Eric

A Perfect opportunity for me to formally welcome my great friend and golf teammate Matt to GCA as well.  I urged him to try and join the DG a little while ago and I'm glad he did.  I just hope he doesn't embarrass me with any asinine posts!  ;D  Welcome Matt!

I can't speak for Matt, but as his guest in the infield (my first Derby), the wildest thing was when patrons were throwing portable chairs at some guy as he was trying to dash across the tops of a row of port-a-johns out by the first turn.  Quite a spectacle (the horse racing was cool too!).

Welcome aboard Matty!
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Matt Langan

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2010, 11:39:31 PM »
Matt, welcome to GCA!

Thanks,

Eric

Haha that's almost an impossible question to answer with a single response. It was a photo finish between the mud fights, slides, and wrestling, the people running across the the tops of the port-o-johns while having to dodge beer cans and folding chairs being pegged at them, a dude smoking a joint while placing his Derby bet, and a really sketchy old dude who was wearing a shirt that read, "Voted Best Muff Diver" with his home phone number underneath (he was posing with every young girl he could get his hands on - which was way too many considering just one was more than enough). It. Was. Crazy. It was my second time in the infield. Although I hope to be on the other side of the fence come this time next year, the infield still has soooo much to offer (as noted).

Matt Langan

« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2010, 11:41:24 PM »

A Perfect opportunity for me to formally welcome my great friend and golf teammate Matt to GCA as well.  I urged him to try and join the DG a little while ago and I'm glad he did.  I just hope he doesn't embarrass me with any asinine posts!  ;D  Welcome Matt!

I can't speak for Matt, but as his guest in the infield (my first Derby), the wildest thing was when patrons were throwing portable chairs at some guy as he was trying to dash across the tops of a row of port-a-johns out by the first turn.  Quite a spectacle (the horse racing was cool too!).

Welcome aboard Matty!

Thanks Tim! Asinine posts? Pleeease. 8)

Anthony Gray

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2010, 07:15:42 AM »

Matt...I was born Big Blue, but do enjoy the Cards success. Always a great game. At my age I remember when they refused to play. Welcome to GCA.

Anthony

Matt Langan

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2010, 10:10:02 AM »
I never realized that was the case. When was their inaugural game?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back