News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

George_Bahto

Re: Who was Joe Bartholomew?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 02:39:49 PM »
Joe worked for Seth Raynor for a while and when he (SR) buillt Metairie CC in New Orleans he left Joe in charge of construction. Joe went out on his own from there on and built many courses in New Orleans area - great story

I thinkthere is a statue of him in the city

sort of a protege but as far as I could tell did not strictly follow the  "famous hole" concept of Macdonald and Raynor

lots about him in the Raynor book
If a player insists on playing his maximum power on his tee-shot, it is not the architect's intention to allow him an overly wide target to hit to but rather should be allowed this privilege of maximum power except under conditions of exceptional skill.
   Wethered & Simpson

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 02:51:02 PM »
Hi George.

When might we see the Raynor book?
jeffmingay.com

George_Bahto

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 03:07:41 PM »
Jeff - been pretty busy over the past three years. A lot of it is done but still a lot to do. And as yu can see, there is still a lot in flux .... itz like shifting sands sometimes.

I'll be sitting down with Gib at Bandon - Old Macodald - in a couple weeks and we'll see if we can get back on track.

Jerff, it is a really good story and must be told.

thanks for asking
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 06:49:36 PM by George_Bahto »
If a player insists on playing his maximum power on his tee-shot, it is not the architect's intention to allow him an overly wide target to hit to but rather should be allowed this privilege of maximum power except under conditions of exceptional skill.
   Wethered & Simpson

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 03:26:37 PM »
I know it, George; which is why I asked.

As I've told you in the past, your Macdonald book is stunningly excellent. Look forward to "Raynor".

Best,
jeffmingay.com

Tiger_Bernhardt

Re: Who was Joe Bartholomew? New
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 03:35:43 PM »
I think this distinguished man also did City Park in New Orleans as well. However that work in being undone by the redo of City Park post Katrina
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 09:27:41 PM by Tiger_Bernhardt »

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2010, 05:37:37 PM »
I'm pretty sure there was another thread here, years ago, about Joe Bartholomew... I just did a search, but nothing was found. Too bad, as I recall Bartholomew's story is very interesting, as George alludes to.
jeffmingay.com

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2010, 06:03:11 PM »
jeff i agree. i had drinks with kelly gibson a few months back. he is part of the design team on city park. i spoke to him about bartholomew contributions to the city and its golf history.

George_Bahto

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2010, 06:46:28 PM »
Without looking up all the details right now, after he built the course according to the Raynor plan he stayed on there as the super

listen to this: he never played the course!!! the black thing in the south

if I remember correctly he went on the build 15-2O courses in and near New Orleans

nearly all of these courses were munis

in the book, Forbidden Fairways by Calvin Sinette, Dr Sinette and I spoke before the book was complete and I think there are any number of references about the esteemed Mr Bartholomew

funny story about our conversation: Sinette got my number, called me asking the following; "i am under the impression Joe Bartholomew graduated ("graduated" ??? ) from the Seth Raynor architecture school?"  .....  I said yeah Calvin, that was called pick, rake and shovel

I think I have his story imbedded in the Metairie CC story

could never understand how they got Raynor to go to New Orleans until I followed a note I had about one Wm Stauffer who had Raynor build a course on his private estate in New Orleans - this info before I turned up the Metairie story. So that was even worse; how did you get Raynor to build a estate course in LA?????????

When I uncovered Metairie was indeed a Raynor course, it then made some sense

then I found out that wealthy Mr Stauffer also had a home in Southampton and had a small course on his property there

from a friendship that developed at Metairie came this:  "Stauffer was a member of the Exec Comm USGA in 1924 and according to an article in Golf Illustrated in late 1916, W E Stauffer was part of a 2-day  "Bankers' Tournament" held at the National, October 30 and 31, 1916"

then it all made sense - obviously a member NGLA and a friend of CBM

Good Lord - why do I have to finish the book - it is being written here on golfclubatlas!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 06:51:02 PM by George_Bahto »
   Wethered & Simpson

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back