News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom MacWood

Re: Macdonald and/or Raynor 1910-1916
« Reply #200 on: April 22, 2010, 10:28:38 PM »
There is a wonderful chapter on Ocean Links in the out-of-print "To the Nines."

Tailer purchased the land over a number of years while trying in unsuccessfully trying to convince the Newport membership upgrade their Donald Ross layout that included what is now the driving range, an area that turns to swamp with just a little rain.

Raynor, as proven by a letter in club archives, did substantial work at Misquamicut in 1914.

Rocco Nocco Rules!

Anthony

Tony
What is the story with Raynor and Misquamicut?

TEPaul

Re: Macdonald and/or Raynor 1910-1916 New
« Reply #201 on: April 22, 2010, 10:52:25 PM »
"Raynor, as proven by a letter in club archives, did substantial work at Misquamicut in 1914."

Tony:

Is that right? That's interesting because when I was playing up there in their member/guest over a few years I was interested in their architectural history and I thought I was speaking with the right people. At that time they thought that little stick routing of the course hanging in the locker-room was from the late 19th century and was Willie Park (a nine hole very short glorified par 3-4 course) and they thought the rest as it is today (other than the Forse work) was Donald Ross.

I've never heard about that letter in their archives that indicates Raynor did substantial work (design) to the course in 1914. Have you actually seen it and what it says? If so don't feel you need to prove it or explain to me----if it's in their archives I'll just get it from the people I know at the club, some of which are right here in Philadelphia and at Gulph Mills.

By the way, today we have at GMGC sort of a fairway cut coming right off our clubhouse and over to our 18th green that was done ten years ago because of my total fascination with how that fairway cut at Misquamicut merges off the clubhouse and around the practice putting green and right over to the 18th green!
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 11:11:57 PM by TEPaul »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back