News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mac Plumart

Paiute
« on: March 21, 2010, 09:03:14 PM »
I just got back from my Vegas trip and played Shadow Creek, Cascata, Bears Best, and Paiute Wolf.

And I must say, I think Paiute (Wolf) was one of the most "fun" courses I've played.  It was a very challenging course, with crazy bunker placements, tricky twists and turns, and rumpled fairways...but it was a blast.  Here is the par 3 8th.  It plays 180 yards from the black tees (206 from the tips), the green is partially hidden by the mound on the left, quirky bunkers line the right side of the fairway, and friggin' death valley is even more right of those quirky bunkers.  

Has anyone else played it?  Did you like it as much as I did?

Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Charlie Goerges

Re: Peyote
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 09:11:00 PM »
I have never even seen peyote. I wouldn't even know where to find it.
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Ryan Admussen

Re: Paiute
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 09:23:08 PM »
I just got back from my Vegas trip and played Shadow Creek, Cascata, Bears Best, and Paiute Wolf.

And I must say, I think Paiute (Wolf) was one of the most "fun" courses I've played.  It was a very challenging course, with crazy bunker placements, tricky twists and turns, and rumpled fairways...but it was a blast.  Here is the par 3 8th.  It plays 180 yards from the black tees (206 from the tips), the green is partially hidden by the mound on the left, quirky bunkers line the right side of the fairway, and friggin' death valley is even more right of those quirky bunkers.  

Played it in Feb 2009, it was my first Pete Dye experience, really enjoyed it.

I was curious if Pete Dye chose to put the island green in or if the customer wanted it?

Where would you place it with the other vegas courses you played?

Cory Brown

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 09:31:35 PM »
I played the Wolf course at Thanksgiving, and also really enjoyed it.  Unfortunately I didn't bring my camera along as I didn't think that I would see anything other than a golf course in the desert, but it turned out to be much better than that.  The course had a lot of short grass "chipping" areas around the greens that allowed for a wide range of options with short game play.  I missed a lot of greens so I had many opportunities to show off my skill with putter from well off the green.  The course was well bunkered as well, with many bunkers placed where they could be carried to shorten the distance for the next shot, but still providing enough room to play around them if necessary. 
The fourteenth was an island green, which felt more than a little borrowed from Sawgrass, but seeing as all the courses were Dye designed, I guess that was okay.  While the hole did feel a bit "gimmicky" I will admit that there is a certain thrill involved with carrying all that water and landing safely on the green.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 09:48:01 PM »
Ryan...

On my favorites list, I would rank the courses I've played in the Vegas area as follows...

Shadow Creek
Cascata
Paiute (Wolf)
Southshore
Bears Best
Rio Secco

Cascasta isn't a better course than Paiute, but to me the immaculate conditions and the privacy really add to the "experience" of playing the course.  But that is simply my opinion and feelings.

As an FYI...the 15th at Shadow Creek is an awesome hole.

Here is the tee shot...

and here is the approach...

It is a challenge, but it is FUN!!

However, let's not forget this...you spend about the same money and play Paiute (Wolf) 3 times or Shadow Creek once.  So, on a value basis...Paiute blows away Shadow Creek...in my opinion.

Frank Pasquale

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 01:16:51 PM »
I was just at Paiute a couple of weeks ago.  I had my wife (and my "c" game) with me, so I opted to play the Snow course.  Even that was a lot of fun, and I love the mountain views out there.  Definitely worth the drive from the strip.

Tim Nugent

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2010, 01:48:17 PM »

Mac, why do you define those bunkers as "quirky"?  They just look like something to save a short shot from a terrible fate. (Although, I would rather see a "kicker" ridge to let one bounce a draw into the back-left pin and still help out an errant short shot)

Coasting is a downhill process

Mac Plumart

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2010, 01:56:55 PM »
Tim...

I guess I called them "quirky" because how strange they look.  3 big circles, getting smaller, and smaller, and smaller...kind of like an artsy design rather than a natural formation of wind and erosion over time.

I understand why they are there and I don't dislike them at all...they simply look weird to my eye.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2010, 01:59:16 PM »
Cory...

I agree the island green hole was quirky and I don't really like island greens that much, but it was neat playing it the day I did as the wind was between 20 and 30 mph all day and the routing of the course was really highlighted as holes played downwind, upwind, crosswind, etc.  Fun!

I'll try to post a picture later tonight.

Ted Cahill

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2010, 02:06:44 PM »
I really enjoy Paiute.  Many on this site enjoy playing in the wind- this course is the windiest I have played, second only to Bandon.  I like this course far more than Bears Best- the housing surrounding that course is a serious distraction.  Paiute is in the middle of nowhere and the visual contrast of the golf holes to the surrounding desert and mountains is a real site to behold. 
“Bandon Dunes is like Chamonix for skiers or the
North Shore of Oahu for surfers,” Rogers said. “It is
where those who really care end up.”

Mac Plumart

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2010, 02:41:53 PM »
Ted, I agree about Bears Best.  In my opinion Bears Best is not even in the same league as Paiute Wolf...I haven't played the other Paiute courses, so I don't know...but Wolf was a true treat to play.  Bears Best is a fine course, I am not talking trash about it...but Paiute is really good and fun!

Will Spivey

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2010, 09:37:09 PM »
For several years I did an annual "buddies trip" out to Vegas with my b-school friends.  Once it opened Wolf became our favorite course (we never played Shadow or Cascata -- neither had been built yet).   Vegas is that odd combination of crazy high prices and little architectural merit. 

We enjoyed all three courses at Paiute.  Having a few beers in the clubhouse at sunset is great.  However, Wolf is clearly the superior of the three courses.  I agree with other posters that the island green (number 14?) is gimmicky, but it does fit right in in Vegas.  Also, the valley where Paiute is located is ALWAYS windy.  So if you chose to play, just be prepared for the wind.

Chris Wirthwein

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2010, 09:44:52 PM »
Love Paiute -- especially the fact that there are no houses on the course. The visual effect is striking and unlike most desert courses. (Although similar to We-Ko-Pa in Scottsdale.) Paiute = beautiful setting, 3 great Pete Dye designs, and a very reasonable cost.

George_Bahto

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2010, 10:28:26 PM »
I've played Paiute (Wolf) two years of the my last four visits and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Tom Doak told me Perry Dye actually designed the course although Pete's name is on it (so much for all the credit discussions on this site)
If a player insists on playing his maximum power on his tee-shot, it is not the architect's intention to allow him an overly wide target to hit to but rather should be allowed this privilege of maximum power except under conditions of exceptional skill.
   Wethered & Simpson

Mac Plumart

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2010, 08:03:39 AM »
George...that last sentence is interesting to me.

When I was playing Paiute, I thought some of the mounding reminded me of Secession's mounding.  Not all of Secession, just some places here and there.

Didn't Perry Dye have a hand in Secession?  And then you are saying that Tom was saying that Perry actually did Paiute Wolf.  Interesting.

I don't know why this type of stuff interests me so much...but it does.  I've played Kiawah Ocean, TPC Sawgrass, Pete Dye GC in WV, and Harbour Town, prior to Paiute.  And I saw some Pete Dye trademarks (island green, semi-forced water carry par 3, etc) but I also saw some unnatural (a bit over the top) mounding at Paiute, which did remind me a bit of Secession...but also a bit of Sawgrass...so I was wondering about it.

As an FYI...here is a picture of what I refer to as a semi-forced par 3 carry.

It is the 12th at Paiute, you can go for the pin and carry the water or play up the fairway and avoid the water...but there is an obvious risk/reward associated with both plays.  I've seen this strategy employed on Dye courses many times.

Ville Nurmi

« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2010, 08:08:10 AM »
I played there last year in February.
In my opinion it is quite hard to remember the individual holes, when you have so many mounds around the place.
I also think that the Fazio course at the Strip is really could, but maybe the waterfall :)

At the moment these are the only courses I have played in the US.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2010, 01:32:05 PM »
Mac:

I've played all the courses at Paiute -- and the key to playing The Wolf is at what time of day do you play it.

Those playing in the AM have a far different course than when battling in typical afternoon winds that can fly through the property 15 40-50 mph.

I like The Wolf because it does offer a good bit of hole variety -- although the island par-3 on the back nine is simply miscast.

The 18th though is one of Pete's best closing holes.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back