News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mark chalfant

Columbia's CC bunkering (Maryland)
« on: March 17, 2010, 09:22:21 PM »
A recent  aerial  shows  new bunkering that has a modicum of random quirk  in shape and placement.  Has anyone played at  Columbia recently  ?

Carl Nichols

Re: Columbia's CC bunkering (Maryland)
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 11:25:59 PM »
Mark:
The last time I played Columbia was probably 2 years ago (though it might have been 3), and they were in the middle of doing some bunker work on a few holes.  The ones I remember were the fairway bunkers on #11, which seemed very well placed and aesthetically pleasing -- but I wouldn't have described them as quirky.  (For reference, #10 is the hole with the extremely two-tiered green, which borders on the gimmicky.)  I think they've continued to do work there, and perhaps the more recent work is quirky.

What aerial are you looking at?

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 06:15:57 AM »
A good friend of mine - Bob Walton - redid the Columbia bunkers as part of a large (mostly clubhouse) restoration of Columbia.  I'm probably going to have an article in GS this summer on the redo.  Mr Flynn - TE Paul - knows a lot about the redo as well.  JC

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 09:49:51 AM »
Mark: I play Columbia a couple of times a year and I would not call the bunkers random or quirky.  They may not be uniform in shape but they are not quirky - they are certainly strategically located and make for a challenging but fair recovery.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back