News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Carl Nichols

Would Pebble be any better (or more fun) if . . .
« on: February 14, 2010, 10:19:32 PM »
they could put a new clubhouse near the 10th green and 11th tee, keep the overall routing, but have 11 would play as 1, and 10 as the finishing hole?  The holes that are currently 6-10 would be 14-18.   

Bob_Huntley

Re: Would Pebble be any better (or more fun) if . . .
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 10:33:31 PM »
Carl,

Quite possibly the strangest suggestion on the changes that could be made to Pebble Beach I have ever heard. The place is there to serve the Lodge and provide funding for the 800 million dollar investment made by the current ownership. Why on earth would you want to change the alpha and omega?

Bob

Michael Huber

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 10:56:37 PM »
I cant imagine the course not ending on the 18th

i mean, its the 18th.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 11:18:07 PM »
And then there's the trek to the current 1st from the current 18th. Yuck

Horrible idea, but we do give credit points for ideas. No matter what. ;)
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 12:06:03 AM »
I think it would be more fun if it were cheaper. 
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Carl Nichols

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 08:56:22 AM »
Ok, the post was inartfully written -- I certainly wasn't trying to suggest that they should actually move the entire resort, or anything crazy like that.  It was just a setup for the real question:  if you kept the routing the same but made #11 the first hole, would the course qua course be better or more fun?  That hypothetical question isn't much crazier than a lot of other posts around here!  You wouldn't end on the current 18, and you'd have to walk from current 18 to current 1 [I'm not sure how long that is exactly], but you would end with the stretch of current 6-10. 

Tim Bert

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 09:27:25 AM »
Carl

I'd put a small starter shack on the beach between 9&10. Then you could start on the coast and end on the coast.  This would make 18 the new 9 and you could leave all the facilities that currently exist in place. During the 5.5 hour rounds of the late afternoon you could stop in at the bar for a quick dinner between nines.   

Mike_Young

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2010, 09:36:37 AM »
Seems like this weekend was a huge golf nerd weekend especially involving PB.  I have often thought that the routing might be better if it was backwards..for example  playing #8 backwards w #7 green being it's green...#18 backwards with the green in the tee location, #14 green as a tee...all sorts of situations....and of course the clubhouse to the left of present #17 being the lodge location.... ;D ;D ;D
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Tim Bert

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2010, 09:45:35 AM »
Mike would you use the heavy sloped portion of the 14th green as part of the box?  I like it!

What if you combined 9&10 and had them play as one glorious par 6 or 7 along the coast?

Or just kept going down the coast after #10 instead of circling back so all remaining holes could be on the ocean... With a shuttle ride back to the existing #18 to finish.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2010, 11:54:40 AM »
Here's another thought..........why is it that my favorite courses are out and back routings?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back