News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kirk Gill

Fox Acres
« on: February 03, 2010, 06:47:36 PM »
I've been invited to play the Fox Acres golf course in Red Feather Lakes, Colorado, this summer. I've never played the course, and I don't know much of anything about its architect, John Cochran.

Has anyone played it? Any opinions? Any information on the architect?

Thanks in advance.
"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

Kalen Braley

Brian Joines

Re: Fox Acres
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 11:13:21 PM »
My uncle used to be a member here and I played it once, many years ago. Unfortunately, I don't remember too many specifics about the course. It was a little bit before my GCA craze. I do remember the club being quite remote. I don't think there were too many houses there at all when I played. I'm not sure what how it's changed since.

I do remember is finishing with a long par 3 over water. That hole is featured on their website.

Scott Szabo

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 10:23:09 AM »
Kirk,

I've played there quite a few times the past few years.  The scenery is spectactular, and I look forward to a return every time.  However, the golf course itself leaves a bit to be desired.  The course feels cramped, with many severe doglegs at times forcing layups off the tee.  It's certainly not a course I would want to play on a regular basis.

I enjoyed the par 3s for the most part as the views from these holes in particular are spectacular.

Hole #14 is a long downhill par four with a lake on the left in the landing zone and heavily treelined down the right.  This may be the best hole on the course.

You will enjoy your round, but I would imagine the course itself will leave you scratching your head....

"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010, 10:34:17 AM »
I spent a weekend there a few years ago and we had a BLAST!  The course is no great shakes in terms of "architecture" - Kirk describes it perfectly, and Brian is right, the 18th is a LONG par 3 over water that can be pushed back far enough to replicate Cypress Point 16 (in terms of heroic carry) - it's a sorta weird course, but definitely FUN.

If you are staying overnight up there, man there's a dive bar about a mile from the course that should not be missed... just your basic burgers/beer/shuffleboard but man we had a blast there... can't remember the name, but hell it's the only one within miles so you can't miss it.  I'd recommend that more than the golf course.

;)

Doug Wright

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2010, 10:28:24 AM »
Kirk, I played there a few times several years ago with a friend who was a member. The club was owned and developed by a fellow named Ray Stenzel; I'm pretty sure Ray had a hand in the golf course design too because it has a "home grown" feel. Ray's not around any more--his family sold the club to the members in 2002.  I've heard that since his involvement with the club ended its gone through some hard times.

The course is quite short and has some decent holes and some boring holes, including some repetitive par 4s on the back nine. The 5th green almost makes the course worth seeing by itself. It's a very accurate replica of the 14th at Augusta National. Of course it makes no sense in the context of the rest of the greens on the course but if you build your own you get to do those sorts of things! I thought some of the other greens were decent too. A nice out of the way place to visit that involves a scenic ride to get to and is scenic itself. If you're a fisherman they stock the lakes up there too.
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back