News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mac Plumart

Shooting Star
« on: January 28, 2010, 05:22:22 PM »
Has anyone played Shooting Star in Wyoming?

If so, what did you think?
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Sean Leary

Re: Shooting Star
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 05:40:44 PM »
I drove though it as it was being built but have not played it. The site was almost dead flat to start, but the views of the Tetons incredible...

Mac Plumart

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 06:04:36 PM »
Fazio's ideal site, right?  Totally flat...so he can create on a blank canvas.

Sean Leary

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 06:21:25 PM »
Mac,

I don't think it is ideal for any architect. But he is good at it, yes. But so are others.

I do think Fazio may be the best at taking difficult sites and making it good however, especially mountain courses.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2010, 07:16:29 PM »
Okay...

Here are some shots of this course...holes 1 and 8. 

Has anyone heard any thing good or bad about this course?

B. Mogg

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2010, 08:04:19 PM »
Fazio's ideal site, right?  Totally flat...so he can create on a blank canvas.

Hmm - how can that be called totally flat - looking at the surrounding land I bet this land had a nice tilt and roll to it before Fazio started? Looks like it would have started as a beautiful site for a golf course. Flat!?

Mac Plumart

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2010, 08:19:42 PM »
I've never seen that land...just responding to Sean's comment...then adding in a story Tom Doak shared a few days ago about something Fazio said.

The course looks cool to me and someone earlier today said that there are no new courses to discuss and they seemed frustrated...so I thought I would post this and see what people know and how much they wanted to talk about a brand new course.

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2010, 10:27:15 PM »
The course is at the base of Jackson Hole Mountain Resort near Teton Village.  Anyone who has been out that way would state that most of land between the resort and Wilson is flat.  Mostly old caw pastures.  There's a great book on the topography of Wyoming called "Rising From the Plains" by John McPhee that describes how the Snake River bed is about the flatest area you'll find in the state, despite being yards from some of the most rugged mountains this side of Nepal.

I'd venture Fazio and crew moved quite a bit of dirt to create the course, including the mounding and requisite lakes.  Teton Pines down the road was built on similar terrain, but looks and plays like its on the salt beds of Utah.

Not mountain golf, but certainly mountainview golf.
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Mac Plumart

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2010, 10:41:13 PM »
Sven...

That is interesting as heck.  If I am remembering correctly Tom Fazio likes to work with flat land so he can create something from nothing.  So, wouldn't he be the perfect choice for the architect for this course?

Secondly, will this course be one that is talked about for "Best New" next year?

It looks really cool...but so does Dismal River.

mike_beene

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2010, 10:46:26 PM »
I stayed next to it two summers ago and it was just dust and trucks.It looked like a flat pasture.The views would be incredible.

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2010, 11:12:02 PM »
Mac:

Not sure what Shadow Creek looked like before construction, but I'd guess that site wasn't much different from what he was presented with for Shooting Star.  I believe the course opened for play last summer, haven't played it so can't speak to the design much other than a view from up on the hill enjoying a cold beverage at the top of the gondola.

"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

mike_beene

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2010, 11:25:40 PM »
Did they rebuild or at least change the gondola?

Garland Bayley

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2010, 11:41:39 AM »
Mac,

I don't think it is ideal for any architect. But he is good at it, yes. But so are others.

I do think Fazio may be the best at taking difficult sites and making it good however, especially mountain courses.

Sean,

Mac meant to say Fazio's preferred type of site. As Fazio has been quoted as saying he prefers totally flat sites. What kind of site was Aldarra before Fazio got a hold of it?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Sean Leary

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2010, 02:24:07 PM »
Mac,

Sean,

Mac meant to say Fazio's preferred type of site. As Fazio has been quoted as saying he prefers totally flat sites. What kind of site was Aldarra before Fazio got a hold of it?

Hilly. He moved less dirt than many of of his courses, but still some.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back