News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill Shamleffer

Golf Architecture in America by Thomas reprint
« on: December 14, 2018, 05:01:57 PM »
Found this through twitter today.  Appears Golf Architecture in America by Thomas is available as a re-print from an India book.
This is being sold through Abe Books.  Other commented on Twitter per this item, that they had purchased other books through Abe Books from this India bookseller, and had always received their purchase (although it took a few weeks).
Purchased my copy today.  I will report back when I get my copy.

https://www.abebooks.com/book-search/title/golf-architecture-america/

Golf architecture in America its strategy and construction 1927Thomas George Clifford -

New
Softcover
Quantity Available: > 20From:
Gyan Books Pvt. Ltd. (Delhi, India)
Print on Demand

Add to Basket
US$ 13.57
Convert currency

Shipping:
FREE
From India to U.S.A.
Destination, rates & speedsAbout this Item: 2018. Softcover. Condition: New. 396 Lang: - eng, Pages 396, Print on Demand. Reprinted in 2018 with the help of original edition published long back [1927]. This book is Printed in black & white, sewing binding for longer life with Matt laminated multi-Colour Soft Cover {HARDCOVER EDITION IS ALSO AVAILABLE}, Printed on high quality Paper, re-sized as per Current standards, professionally processed without changing its contents. As these are old books, we processed each page manually and make them readable but in some cases some pages which are blur or missing or black spots. If it is multi volume set, then it is only single volume. We expect that you will understand our compulsion in these books. We found this book important for the readers who want to know more about our old treasure so we brought it back to the shelves. (Any type of Customisation is possible). Hope you will like it and give your comments and suggestions. Language: eng. Seller Inventory # PB1111010686414
“The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.”  Damon Runyon

Greg Smith

Re: Golf Architecture in America by Thomas reprint
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2018, 07:40:29 AM »
Please bump this thread when (if?) you get your copy.  I have seen this seller before but I have been suspicious.  I'm wondering about the physical size of the book too.  It says "hardcover available", but I don't see any way to order one.  Maybe materials you receive with the book will enlighten the viewership....
O fools!  who drudge from morn til night
And dream your way of life is wise,
Come hither!  prove a happier plight,
The golfer lives in Paradise!                      

John Somerville, The Ballade of the Links at Rye (1898)

Bill Gayne

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2018, 01:41:07 PM »
I've ordered from Abe's Books a couple of times and there's never been a problem.

Bill Shamleffer

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2018, 09:23:59 AM »
Please bump this thread when (if?) you get your copy.  I have seen this seller before but I have been suspicious.  I'm wondering about the physical size of the book too.  It says "hardcover available", but I don't see any way to order one.  Maybe materials you receive with the book will enlighten the viewership....

Greg:

I will report back, via this thread, once I receive my copy.  I am assuming it might be a few weeks (i.e. early to mid Jan.).
“The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.”  Damon Runyon

Bill Shamleffer

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2019, 04:24:30 PM »
Received my copy in the mail today.  Took about 5 weeks.  It is paperback.  Very good quality and paper stock.  The pictures look as good as they probably looked in the original version.  The front and back are almost as solid as if a thin hardback.
Very pleased with this purchase.  For $13.57 a GREAT price.

Great timing since I have a 3-day weekend with possible snow & ice.

John Emerson

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2019, 08:34:27 AM »
Seems like, to me, that “The Evangelist of Golf” has enough demand for reprint??  Any thoughts as to why this hasn’t happened?  The prices for this book are astronomical
“There’s links golf, then everything else.”

Bill Shamleffer

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2019, 03:58:30 PM »
Seems like, to me, that “The Evangelist of Golf” has enough demand for reprint??  Any thoughts as to why this hasn’t happened?  The prices for this book are astronomical

I expect that the issue is that "The Evangelist of Golf" is only 17 years old, and the copyright will be in place until 2084.

Nevertheless, I emailed the company that created the copy of Golf Architecture in America, and requested if they are able to create a printing of "The Evangelist of Golf".
Will wait & see if I get a response.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 04:40:14 PM by Bill Shamleffer »

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2019, 04:09:08 PM »
John
I assume the first run was not profitable.
Sleeping Bear Press stopped printing and sold their remaining inventory on ebay.
I gave away a couple Evangelist's some time ago.
Cheers
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

MCirba

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2019, 04:17:43 PM »
Just ordered mine...thanks for the heads-up, Bill!
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Ross Harmon

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2019, 10:41:07 PM »
Thanks for the review Bill - glad it's a nice reprint.

I have an original copy, but it's fragile - so I will be ordering a reprint as a "study version".

Niall C

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2019, 08:40:50 AM »
As an aside this thread caused me to go looking for a copy and I came across a bookseller selling an old copy signed by AW Tillinghast and an inscription saying that Thomas had been a protege of his. While I was vaguely aware they knew each other, I had thought Thomas was more his own man but maybe I'm wrong.

Niall

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2019, 09:50:35 AM »
As an aside this thread caused me to go looking for a copy and I came across a bookseller selling an old copy signed by AW Tillinghast and an inscription saying that Thomas had been a protege of his. While I was vaguely aware they knew each other, I had thought Thomas was more his own man but maybe I'm wrong.

Niall

Now that is pure wickedness...!
 ;)
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back