News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

bstark

When are Greens TOO Fast??
« on: October 19, 2010, 07:41:36 AM »
    Just finished a fall round at Laurel Links on LI.

Played with 2 single digit handicappers (both of whom played the course before), 10 - 20 mph wind, sunshine throughout. All agreed the greens were for the most part unfair in their present condition.  Hole after hole the slopes were not receptive to normal shots. A few times we got to our balls and they moved right before address. I know this course has received much love here, but imho it would be a better course if they either let the greens grow a bit, or shaved some of the contours down to accomadate the stimp they like to put on them. I know Kelly Moran frequents here and would love to hear his opinion on this difficult setup.  Also would like to know if he routed the course around the houses or the houses around the course.....???

Steve Kline

Re: When are Greens TOO Fast??
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 07:55:46 AM »
I think the answer this is I know when they are too fast once I've putted on them. Not being an architect, I can't give slope percentages, stimp speeds, etc. that result in this. But, if it's almost impossible to get the ball close to hole from anywhere but directly below it, you know the greens are too fast. If you are putting reasonbly straight downhill (break makes judging the speed harder) and you can't get the ball to stop within 6 to 8 feet I think they're getting too fast for the slope.

To give an example, I played a very good mid-am tournament in Houston a few years ago. In I was told the greens were running 14 and I'm inclined to believe it as they were the fastest I've ever putted on. In the first round I just happened to get paired with a member of the club. The third hole was a par 3 aout 170 yards all carry over water. The pin was in the front, the bank was shaved, and the wind was 10-15 mph in our face. I hit a 4-iron to the back of the green as did the member. We were on similar angles but the member was slightly farther away and he had just a little more side slope to deal with than me. We were putting down hill, down grain, and down wind. The member putted his ball off the green into the water! I hit my very easy and my putt still went 12 feet past the ball and stopped 1 foot short of going in the water. That green was too fast for the conditions. Although I did not encounter a problem anywhere else on the course for the rest of that round or the other played on that course.

Robert Emmons

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 08:56:27 AM »
The past week many courses on Long Island have increased green speeds. After the extremly hot summer, when green speeds were dropped dramatically to create less stress, it was easy to see courses move back to 10.5-11 as the weather has cooled down. With the dry very windy past few days i expect greens were running 12-13, which for most courses is too fast. Rain today which will pull them back to a more reasonable speed...RHE

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 09:05:31 AM »
14 on the Stimpmeter. For greens to work in excess of this they must have virtually no contour.
13 on the Stimpmeter. Greens must have flat areas, at this speed greens are almost impossible.
12 on the Stimpmeter. Generally workable although some slopes will make the ball speed up.
11 on the Stimpmeter. Probably about the right speed for tournaments.
9 on the Stimpmeter. Probably about the right speed for normal competitive play.

Add wind to 12-13 and 14 and you got serious problems in keeping a ball in play.

I think a green theoretically stimping at 15 a ball will fall to the lowest point.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Craig Sweet

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 09:27:03 AM »
Greens can be "tricked up" to run at almost any speed...but is that the right thing to do?  Why not just mow them and leave them alone? Why expect consistency? Is the wind constant from day to day?   Is manipulating a green to stemp at 11 or 12, or higher, any different than the issue of using a modern ball and club? 
LOCK HIM UP!!!

PCCraig

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2010, 09:50:54 AM »
I think greens are too fast when if you're putting downhill you have virtually no chance of stopping the ball around the hole (let alone on the green). A skilled player hitting a putt should be able to hit a perfect stroke and at least keep it around the hole.
H.P.S.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2010, 09:52:29 AM »
Pasatiempo.   ;D

Jason Connor

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2010, 09:58:25 AM »
I think when a mere 15-20 mph wind blows balls off greens it's a problem.

I've played my home course on days when this hard but not terrible wind meant you had to be so careful that a ball wouldn't move on the putting green.  It's no fun.

I also think when you have to flatten greens to make them playable.

We discovered that in good company there is no such thing as a bad golf course.  - James Dodson

Tom_Doak

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2010, 10:05:28 AM »
I think greens are too fast when if you're putting downhill you have virtually no chance of stopping the ball around the hole (let alone on the green). A skilled player hitting a putt should be able to hit a perfect stroke and at least keep it around the hole.

This is just a bit too reasonable for my tastes ... I think it is okay to have a couple of holes a round where hitting it above the hole is a real mistake.  However, if you get to the point where an uphill putt that misses turns around and comes back to you, that is obviously unfair.  (That can happen because the greens are too fast, or because of a really bad hole location.)

In the rule that Jason proposed below ... 20 mph wind ... If you have 3% tilt on a green I am guessing the maximum speed to prevent ball movement is 10 or maybe less ... but everyone in America wants greens faster than that on an everyday basis.

Rory Connaughton

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2010, 10:21:41 AM »
Isn't the answer to this question also dependent on firmness?  I have played greens that are blazing resulting in balls running off the green from certain spots above the hole etc., but if the ball can be stopped on an approach I don't worry much. I just focus on controlling the distance of the approach. If the greens are extremely fast and a well played approach cannot be controlled, I get nervous.
That said, when our greens are very fast, the best in the architecture comes alive simply because the approaches become so critical especially on the short par 4's and par 3's

Mac Plumart

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2010, 10:28:17 AM »
Rory...I think you make a GREAT point!  I played East Lake the other day and they were stimping 12 to 13, but the greens were hard as bricks and not one player in our group could get the ball close to the hole on their approach...and if you were hitting out of that thick bermuda rough, forget about holding the greens at all.  But then I played the Golf Club of GA the next day, same speed of the greens except they were softer and we could stop shots inside 10 feet.  This was much less frustrating.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

PCCraig

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2010, 10:28:51 AM »

This is just a bit too reasonable for my tastes ... I think it is okay to have a couple of holes a round where hitting it above the hole is a real mistake.  However, if you get to the point where an uphill putt that misses turns around and comes back to you, that is obviously unfair.  (That can happen because the greens are too fast, or because of a really bad hole location.)

A common expression is "you want to make sure you don't leave it above the hole" but in my limited experience I've seen that players are rarely good enough to hit greens consistently let alone hitting specific areas 1/4 the size of a total green and most players are more concerned with just getting on the green because their short games aren't skilled enough to get up in down more than half the time, uphill chip or not.

When it comes to setting up a course for a low handicap/Tour event, I think faster greens keeping the players approach shots in check makes more sense, but for an everyday course set up anytime you can't hold a putt on a green either the greens are too fast or there is way too much slope in the green.

Also, was "make sure you leave it above the hole" a concern with classical designers? Even on severe greens was it ever an issue with the slower green speeds of the time?

How fast was the average green in 1920 or 1930?
H.P.S.

Jim Eder

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2010, 10:50:14 AM »
I agree that they are too fast when a nearly perfect stroke does not allow the player to have a tap in if missed. The discussion about slopes is interesting, on fast greens the ball tends to roll to the flat area and depending on the pin position may make for an easier putt as your next shot.  If the green was slower the ball could hang up on some of the slopes creating a more difficult putt as your next shot. Also, on fast greens the stroke tends to be shorter therefore possibly causing less risk of error in the stroke. Now misses in the wrong area tend to be penalized more on faster greens as the chip or pitch is unable to be stopped if coming from above the hole etc. If the wind is blowing the ball on the green they are too fast, if one is unable to stop a well struck putt near the hole they are too fast. However, if a club slows down the greens an unfair stigma seems to appear. I agree mis-hit shots should be penalized but a great recovery should be rewarded and very fast greens don't always allow this.

Sean_A

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2010, 11:17:39 AM »
I have no problem at all with a green that if the golfer is in wrong position (either on or off the green) then it is nearly impossible to stop a ball close enough for a gimme or even a grinder putt - isn't this one of the keys to defending a course at the greens?  However, I want this to be because of firmness and slope, not the cut of the green.  I think 9ish is a good compromise between the archie being able to create interesting greens, the green keeper having reasonable expectations that can be met on a daily basis without sacrficing the health of the turf and for the golfer facing interesting recovery shots or putts.  I have rarely played greens that are too fast for the design of te greens, but my idea of too fast is when the maintenance bill for tending the greens becomes out of whack.  In other words, there should be plenty of space between daily speeds and the max speed.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Ashridge, Kennemer, de Pan, Blackmoor, Eindhoven, Hilversumche, Royal Ostend & Alnmouth

Tom_Doak

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2010, 01:08:22 PM »

A common expression is "you want to make sure you don't leave it above the hole" but in my limited experience I've seen that players are rarely good enough to hit greens consistently let alone hitting specific areas 1/4 the size of a total green and most players are more concerned with just getting on the green because their short games aren't skilled enough to get up in down more than half the time, uphill chip or not.

When it comes to setting up a course for a low handicap/Tour event, I think faster greens keeping the players approach shots in check makes more sense, but for an everyday course set up anytime you can't hold a putt on a green either the greens are too fast or there is way too much slope in the green.

Also, was "make sure you leave it above the hole" a concern with classical designers? Even on severe greens was it ever an issue with the slower green speeds of the time?

How fast was the average green in 1920 or 1930?

Pat:

The average green in 1920 or 1930 was maybe 6 or 7 on the Stimpmeter, as near as anyone can guess.  So, as you imply, the game was not as difficult around the greens in the old days ... but, it WAS more difficult from tee to green, so there is some balancing of interests with faster green speeds today.

Your question made me go back to the best contemporary account of architecture in the 1930's I could think of ... Bobby Jones' description of the design intent of Augusta National, from his book GOLF IS MY GAME.  The quote I was thinking of is this one:

"It is not our intention to righ the golf course so as to make it tricky.  It is our feeling that there is something wrong with a golf course which will not yield a score in the sixties to a player who has played well enough to deserve it.

On the other hand, we do not believe that birdies should be made too easily.  We think that to play two good shots to a par four hole and then to hole a ten-foot putt on a dead-level green is not enough.  If the player is to beat par, we should like to ask him to hit a truly fine second shot right up against the flag or to hole a putt of more than a little difficulty.  We therefore place the holes on tournament days in such locations on the greens as to require a really fine shot in order to get close.  With the greens fast and undulating, the putts from medium distances are difficult and the player who leaves his ball on the outer reaches has a real problem to get down in par figures."

Mr. Jones' fuller description still never mentions "staying below the hole," though from the end of the quote above, it is clear that he considered the danger of three-putting a legitimate defense of the hole.

I can only wonder what Bob Jones would make of modern golf and of Augusta if he were alive today, but I do not think he would cry for more fairness.  The problem with the standard that you and Jim Eder are proposing is that most Tour players hit near-perfect putts as a matter of course, so there would be little if any concern for them if they wound up above the hole.  The great thing about faster greens is that by requiring players to worry about staying below the hole, you check their aggressiveness and make them aim ten feet away from the hole instead of RIGHT AT IT.  Anywhere they get to aim right at it, you're going to see a lot of scores in the low 60's.

Jim Eder

« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2010, 01:18:51 PM »
Tom, very fair point on the tour players.

What do you think about my contention that because of the speeds of the greens the ball tends to end up in the lower points (as opposed to on the sides of slopes) therefore at times makings puts a bit easier in this case.  For example, if there is a false front then a flatter area (where the pin is placed) then a slope up to the back of the green any shot past the pin on fast greens will come back to the flat part of the green allowing for a putt that breaks less than if the greens were slower and the ball stayed on the slope back to the back of the green? This probably doesn't make up for the difficulty of being above the hole etc but it seems to be a benefit. It seems rare (Augusta, Muirfield Village etc excluded) that tour players have tremendously breaking putts and I wonder if it is the design of the greens or the green speeds.

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2010, 01:38:39 PM »
Largely, I think you should be able to stop a ball short of the hole if you want to. I think when the best you can do is to go 8 feet past the greens are too fast or the hole is cut is an unusable position for the speed.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back