News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_Roths

From Mac to Scratch
« on: January 06, 2010, 04:55:22 PM »

JC Jones

Re: From Mac to Scratch
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 04:58:23 PM »
I couldn't agree more.  I never thought I'd switch from my current set, but the clubs from Scratch make it really hard not to.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 05:02:22 PM »
I have a SW from them, and it's really good -- but you certainly pay a premium.  (I'm still trying to figure out whether the extra $$$ matters at all with my crappy short game.)

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 05:03:55 PM »
I understand the hand-made cachet, but at 2.5 times the price of a top-of-the-line set of blades I think they may have to change their name to "Lot-o-Scratch Golf".  ;D
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Matthew Hunt

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 05:55:38 PM »
After meeting Ari. I believe he deserves every success in the future!

Rob Rigg

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010, 05:55:54 PM »
Why do what everyone else is doing?

Scratch are building a great brand for themselves in a niche market - seems like the best forged clubs in the world are being made at Scratch and Miura - Mr Miura has been around for a LONG time and there is probably enough room for both of them in that space so it seems like a lot better idea than peddling cast cavity back irons at $500 like everyone else.

Chapeau Ari!

john_stiles

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2010, 09:55:24 PM »
I do like my Scratch wedge, has a nice soft feel, nice weight.

And the Scratch irons, they have three lines of forged irons  SB-1, AR-1, EZ-1,  are very good and priced at other forged clubs on the market.  Being made from soft 1018 carbon steel, all are very good.

And of course,  they offer the hand made tour custom $2500 for the ultimate.

They are a small company, and everyone is knowledgable and enthusiastic about clubs, not to mention GCA.

mike_beene

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2010, 10:47:05 PM »
Is SeeMore in Chatanooga(cant ever spell that place) also?

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2010, 11:47:10 PM »
The clubs are expensive but you can pay $150 for a suit or $3000 for a bespoke suit, a Mercedes can be $25000 or $200000.
I'm sure Ari's clients get great service, quality equipment and value for money when the whole package is considered.
Cave Nil Vino

Jason Walker

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2010, 11:56:10 PM »
 couldn't agree more.  I never thought I'd switch from my current set, but the clubs from Scratch make it really hard not to.

JC--just curious, but on another thread you lament the cost of joining a private club, yet the $2500 cost for some custom irons are in the ballpark?  I'm lost.  So many here lament golf as too expensive, yet a niche club maker emerges and all is good again?  You can PLAY a lot of golf for $2500.

john_stiles

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2010, 11:57:45 PM »
SeeMore Putters is located in  Franklin, Tennessee which is just south of Nashville.

Ari Techner

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2010, 12:16:55 AM »
Thanks for the kind words guys!  We could not be more excited about adding Don to the team.

Our hand made forged clubs are on the high end price wise but each club is hand made to your exact specs by the games premiere Master Craftsman and you get to choose all the specs and aesthetics.  Its not for everyone but if your looking for the highest quality personal made golf clubs look no further.

If that is not your cup of tea, we also offer off the rack wedges in 6 different grinds for $149 and $99 each depending on the model.  Both offer many custom options at no upcharge.  We also offer pre ground hand made forged irons for $1199 in 3 different sole grinds.   

Rob Rigg

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2010, 01:07:15 AM »
Jason,

Sorry for showing my frustration here and I might be misinterpreting you but the recent negativity on the site has me a bit on edge.

$100k for a membership at RCCC or many of the other recent high end privates that made the "best new" list or $1,200 for a set of forged Scratch irons ($2,500 is for the totally customs) - I am not seeing the logic here. A new set of "top of the line OEM made in Asia" forged irons will set you back $700 to $1,000 versus $1,200 - that is 2 to 4 rounds of golf at a public course that you leave on the table if you buy hand ground clubs made in the US vs machine made mass produced clubs made in Asia.

Scratch currently grind 8 to 10 heads a day according to the article - for the same amount of money they could probably put out several hundred heads a day at a factory in Asia. They are doing it the hard way and supporting an almost dead culture of craftmanship which they sell at a very reasonable premium. This might not make sense to some, but the growing success of the company shows that many of us believe in what they are doing.

What is wrong with JC getting excited about or going with the little guy who makes better product? Why crap in his sandwich?

The industry needs its high volume low cost producers just like it needs public courses - they are vital to the game, no doubt about it - but you usually get what you pay for.

A small company that makes premium product is as nice to have around as NGLA, Oakmont and Cypress Point - and a lot more accessible for many of us (even if you buy a half set like I did - totally worth it).

This is a great story.

Jud_T

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2010, 06:20:56 AM »
Here Here Rob,

I will definitely consider Scratch next time around...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

JC Jones

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2010, 09:36:28 AM »
Jason, I'll defer to Rob for most of my response because, well, he is right.

Let me straighten things out a bit, I have no problem with private clubs and their fees/dues and I hope someday to be in a position to join one.  I was simply answering Mike Sweeney's question as to why my generation "wasn't interested in private." 

Moreover, I don't express grief or regret deeply the high cost of golf.  Even a value club is $2500/year.  That is a reoccurring cost.  If I buy a set of Scratch clubs for a bit more than I purchased my Mizunos, not only will I be supporting a fellow GCAer and an American small business doing things the right way, but I will also have the clubs for 10 years or longer.  So, there is a difference between nice clubs that cost me $100/year and a private club that costs me, at a minimum, 25x that.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Kevin Cahoon

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2010, 11:35:21 AM »
I was able to play with Ari at my club this summer and it was a wonderful day, except that my partner and I got thumped 5&4. On the third tee my caddie pointed out what great looking clubs were in Ari's bag. That led to explanation of the Scratch golf story. I was amazed that in the age of the mega manufacturer that someone was trying to buck the trend. One month later, I decided to get a set of wedges. The process was fantastic. The wedges I got were exactly what I was looking for. The cost was well within reason for the quality of the design and the customization that I wanted. The clubs have been great, exceeding my expectations.

I can not wait until spring so I can put the Scratch irons into my bag. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back