News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Its Been An Interesting GCA Year
« on: December 29, 2009, 07:22:15 PM »
2009 was a good year for golf by my standards.  Other than my usual staple visits such as Beau Desert, Kington & Huntercombe I became re-acquainted with several lovely courses which included Rye, Portrush, Portstewart, St Enodoc, West Cornwall, Little Aston and Formby. Without question the highlight among these wonderful courses was St Enodoc: http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,39199.0/. Though I was very impressed by West Cornwall's http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,39193.msg819987/#msg819987 ability to remain very playable despite some harsh wind, a trait which Portrush is sadly lacking.  It still remains a mystery to me as to why Portstewart  http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,40300.0/ and Formby http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,32146.0/ aren't more highly thought of on this site.  I would say Rye http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,41494.0/ was a very pleasant surprise as it was better than my memory suggested.

I also played at least 12 new courses this year including a few in the Carolinas.  I am not sure how that stacks with previous years, but it seemed a lot.  Like St Enodoc stood out as the highlight of re-visits, Cavandish http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,41162.0/ stood out as a huge surprise.  What a superb course and certainly worthy of far more paraise than it receives.  The Governors Club in North Carolina was also a surprise.  I didn't have high expectations for this Nicklaus design, but there are several very good holes. Yeamans was my first Raynor and there was a lot to like, but I walked away a little unimpressed by the singular green/bunker complexes. Comfortably, the best course on that Carolina trip was The Ocean Course http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,39442.0/ even though I thought there was room for improvement especially on some of the par 4s.  

Back in the GB&II got to play several other good, but not outstanding courses for the first time such as Prestbury, Northamptonshire, Sherwood Forest, Bearwood Lakes and Portrush Valley.  I spose The Valley http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,40282.0/ was my favourite of this lot in which Colt featured heavily.  Northamptonshire http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,41336.0/ was neat example of early Colt and very difficult to boot.  

Surprisingly, in my list of new plays there were a few clunkers which included Weston S Mare, Stratford and Goring & Streatley.  Easily, the most disappointing was G&S because it came recommended.  That isn't to say there weren't aspects of these courses which weren't good because there were, but they are not worth a car journey.  

In the end, the one course I played this year which I would strongly urge other first timers to see is Cavendish.  Its worth a detour from the tourista trail.

Anyway, I don't have all that much lined up for next year, so if folks are interested in get togethers at interesting places like Berkshire, Alwoodley, Notts, West Hill etc let me know.

Happy New Year.

Ciao
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 05:49:25 AM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

JC Jones

Re: Its Been An Interesting GCA Year
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 07:38:08 PM »
Great stuff, Sean.  I always enjoy your write ups.  I notice 3 Michigan gems on your next up list.  You ought to return to your home state next summer and we can tee it up!
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Willie_Dow

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 07:46:33 PM »
Sean -

It's good to look into the history of why we are here .  GCA was an infant when I arrived.  I didn't know who I was talking to, and I didn't wonder what it would say.

Should I say more ?

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 09:54:08 PM »
2009 will no doubt go down as one of the most bizarre in any of our lives. The depression generation had 2 world wars and the great depression.  We now have 2 limited wars which likely have no chance of being won and a world economic crisis only surpassed by TGD. By the by WAr is helll and the concept of a limited war is fundamentally flawed by definition if victory is ones goal. Golf wise the world developement of golf courses has slowed to a crawl except for China, India and a few other small markets. Yet most of us had memorable years with moments to be cherished. My golf life and friendships within GCA is only getting better and better. We have the opportunity to be part of an introspective period where restorations, modifications to existing courses, concepts of how to maintain quality of play and lower maintenance costs will rule the next few years. Happy New Years and a healthy happy golfing year to one and all

James Boon

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 05:41:08 AM »
Sean,

A good year indeed, especially with your discovery of Cavendish. It truly is a hidden gem. Next time you, or anybody else, is heading that way I'd be happy to join you, as its been several years since I was there myself and your photos only show me what I'm missing!

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Jud_T

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2009, 10:56:48 AM »
Sean,

Great stuff as usual...Please give Raynor a few more tries before passing final judgement! Happy New Year....
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Matt_Ward

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2009, 11:13:20 AM »
Sean:

Interesting point on Dunluce at RP.

I have always questions it's overall greatness when the fairways are kept especially narrow and when you have hay-like rough just waiting off the edges. Would be dobale if the wind were not as persistent as it often is. Unfortunately, too many people give the layout a quick and e-z pass because of its history / tradition and would do far less so if any other course were set-up in a similar manner.

Sean_A

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2009, 12:27:11 PM »
Sean,

Great stuff as usual...Please give Raynor a few more tries before passing final judgement! Happy New Year....

Jud

For sure I would like to see more Raynor courses.  Despite my less than enthusiastic feelings about Yeamans' green complexes, the idea is a good one even if over-done.  From tee to green I thought the course was marvelously varied and fun and this is why I am perplexed by the green complexes being so much of a similar cast.  In many ways it reminds me of Pinehurst #2 with its greens so similar to each other in terms of the penalty for missing the green.  In spite of my misgivings, I am sure I missed some cool stuff at Yeamans and want to see it again.  Lets just say I am intrigued.

Matt

Its a great shame about Portrush because the narow fairways negate what is one of the finest sets of holes I have ever experienced.  The player gets it all Portrush which is really rare for championship course.  I have heard some suggestion that the course was always narrow and indeed it was menat to be thus - same for Muirfield. 

Ciao  
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 12:35:17 PM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Ed Oden

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2009, 08:32:46 PM »
Yeamans was my first Raynor and there was a lot to like, but I walked away a little unimpressed by the singular green/bunker complexes.

Sean, I see things a bit differently.  In my opinion, Yeamans' green complexes are extremely varied.  I see very few similarities one to another except for the style of bunkering.  Even there, its just a matter of aesthetics as the bunkers themselves vary greatly in terms of depth and positioning.  And the greens?  For starters, there is a double plateau, a redan, a short (complete with horseshoe), an eden, a punchbowl and a biarritz.  The rest range from subtle (#2) to terrifying (#4), but all are uniquely superb.  I can see a number of reasons why someone would be unimpressed by Yeamans.  But the singular green complexes isn't one of them.  I can only assume your playing partners were such dolts they distracted you from the quality of the design. [multiple emoticons intentionally ommitted]

Ed

Sean_A

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2010, 02:38:30 AM »
Ed

I don't know, I thought we played with a couple of proper chaps.

I think we are looking at the green complexes from different perspectives (macro/micro).  By not terribly varied I mean nearly all the greens are raised and heavily bunkered.  I would agree that once on the green that they are varied.  Although, the use of the ridge bewteen fronting bunkers to create a false front effect seemed to be prevalent quite a bit.

Ciao

Bill_McBride

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2010, 03:57:35 PM »
Ed

I think we are looking at the green complexes from different perspectives (macro/micro).  By not terribly varied I mean nearly all the greens are raised and heavily bunkered.  I would agree that once on the green that they are varied.  Although, the use of the ridge bewteen fronting bunkers to create a false front effect seemed to be prevalent quite a bit.

Ciao

Sean, one could say that Huntercombe's greens are "not terribly varied," but what a great set they are!  I do agree that 18 raised greens with deep bunkers at 5 and 7 would be terribly boring.

Happy New Year!

Sean_A

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2010, 05:58:34 PM »
Ed

Ciao

Ace

Think back to your game.  The first five greens are about as different from each other as they can be.  Chuck in #s 8, 9, 10, 13, 15, 16 & 17 and I think there is an excellent case for Huntercombe's greens being some of the most dynamic around especially considering they are essentially grade level and/or rely heavily on grade level elements.  Suffice it to say that I firmly disagree with you.

Ciao 

Sean, one could say that Huntercombe's greens are "not terribly varied," but what a great set they are!  I do agree that 18 raised greens with deep bunkers at 5 and 7 would be terribly boring.

Happy New Year!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back