News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mitch St. Peter

Golf Within an Hour (or so) from London
« on: January 09, 2010, 11:02:30 PM »
My Mom is moving to London and you can imagine why I'm exciting, it means checking out some English Golf! 

I know many of the great heathland courses are a stone's throw away from the city.

So here's the question: if staying IN London for 3-4 days and armed with a rental car, what (accessible) courses are must-plays?  36 hole combo suggestions are encouraged!

Thank you in advance for you feedback!

Tim Gavrich

Re: Golf Within an Hour (or so) from London
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 11:40:54 PM »
Sunningdale!
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Deucie Bies

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2010, 11:53:47 PM »
Walton Heath, Swinley Forest, Woking

Scott Warren

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 03:30:45 AM »
If daylight allows, you could do a 36-hole day at Royal Cinque Ports and Royal St George's to enjoy some links golf. If you're visiting before the end of winter rates RSG is doing £60 green fees this winter. If the dates work out, I'd be happy to host you at Deal.

Fast train is 1h30 from London (Kings Cross station) or you can drive in about the same time.

The Addington for mine is more than worth the time, despite being far less heralded than others.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 04:48:12 AM by Scott Warren »

Sean_A

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2010, 04:28:31 AM »
I spose other than Wentworth the only other good club not mentioned offering at least 36 holes is Berkshire.  Although, for Woking, Worplesdon and West Hill the courses are so close that hopping over isn't a hardship. 

1. Woking, Addington & St Georges Hill would be the three I would recommend a visitor see first.  Woking because of its architectural pedigree/history and because it is a very comfortable course and club.  St Georges Hill because of the width on offer in an area that has most of its courses crowded in a bit by trees.  Addington because it shows how heathland golf can get on the wild side. 

2. West Sussex is probably busting your 1 hour limit depending on where your mother lives, indeed, so could the above three!  In any case, its been a long time since I saw the course and I have no specific memories, but my overall impression of how cool the place is still remains.

3. Swinley would be next recommendation, but like Sunningdale, you are getting into serious money for a visitor.  Eventually, however, you will have to belly up and have a go at both clubs. 

4. Its already been mentioned, but Walton Heath is a grand day out.  As stated earlier there are 36 holes, but in truth I think you are better off not playing the 36 in one day because I think the holes may have a tendency to melt together.  The same could be said of Berkshire, but the great 6-6-6 configuration for the Red makes this course stand apart from the Blue despite the similarity of design and terrain.

5. New Zealand isn't quite in the class of any of the above mentioned, but I have a lot of time for the course because of the great bunkering and the club is just what any visitor would want to come across. 

6. Its well outside the 1 hour limit and this is why it wasn't mentioned earlier, but Huntercombe will repay you handsomely for your time and effort.  It is a throwback bridging course between Victorian and Colt-modern architecture which absolutely stands alone as unique whereas a great many holes in the heathlands proper do sort of flow into one general style.

7. There are plenty of lesser courses around London that are perfectly wonderful for a game of golf.  Don't be afraid to stray off the tourista trail and have a look.  Two of the better known of these are Liphook and Hankley Common and to my great shame I have yet to play either.

If you are looking bridge out a bit and want to play a links, give me a shout and if diaries work I am happy to give you a game at Burnham & Berrow.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Cristian

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2010, 04:49:37 AM »
....St George's Hill, play all 27!

A little bit further away, the bunkerless Royal Ashdown Forest is not to be missed.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2010, 04:54:54 AM »
Mitch - Where are you from? I would say London is one of the best cities in the world for golf, this is because of the variety of golf available within an hour or so of the city.

If you lack exposure to links golf then head for the coast, if the heaths rock your boat you are in heaven, we can even find some above average parkland courses if this is your (unfortunate) aim in life.
Cave Nil Vino

Mark Pearce

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2010, 06:04:53 AM »
All of those mentioned are good suggestions.  For 36 holes of heathland golf The Berkshire takes some beating, though.  You could also consider Denham (which has its own railway stop) and Sandy Lodge (very convenient from Moor Park tube).
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Gary Slatter

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2010, 06:14:14 AM »
London has so many great courses nearby, however getting to them can take 3 times as long as you might expect, especially in a rental car.  I parked my rental and took a taxi.
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2010, 06:16:01 AM »
Mitch welcome to London and please get in toutch when you have some dates.

As stated above  there's a bunch of great golf to be played, but if you limit yourself to 1 hour travel the the quality could be quite wonderful, SW London, or limiting NE London! It's abig palce and transport is an issue.

Let's make GCA grate again!

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2010, 06:24:37 AM »
New Zealand in the morning, then lunch at St George's Hill and 18 holes  (Red & Blue) there. NZ and St GH are in very close proximity.

Woking & Worpleson are another good 36 hole a day combo

Scott Warren

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2010, 06:31:09 AM »
On the topic of the rental car - many clubs are faster to get to thanks to the fantastic public transport, and it will cost you less, to boot.

If it's a trip to the seaside, I prefer to have a car, but if you're ducking down to the heathlands, the rail links are hard to beat.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2010, 07:33:30 AM »
On the topic of the rental car - many clubs are faster to get to thanks to the fantastic public transport, and it will cost you less, to boot.

If it's a trip to the seaside, I prefer to have a car, but if you're ducking down to the heathlands, the rail links are hard to beat.
And you can then enjoy a drink in the bar afterwards, which at places like Swinley Forest, Woking or Denham is a must to really experience the club.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2010, 08:33:30 AM »
I have a sentimental preference for Walton Heath as it was the first course outside the USA I ever played. Not only is it super convenient to get to/from (a bit too close to the Motorway for comfort, in fact) it has the further advantage that between the New and Old courses it is quite difficult to say which is better.

I like playing at Huntercombe even more but it's a bit further afield and not a 36-hole club. Of course on a weekday you could probably do three times around Huntercombe, never break a sweat and be back in London by dinner time quite easily even given the loner drive.

But if I were you I'd compare calendars with Muldoon and induce him to join you at Walton Heath.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2010, 08:51:45 AM »
At most UK clubs it is far better value to play 36 holes, enjoy your lunch then see the course in the afternoon from a different perspective. For example on 18/36 hole green fees; Woking £60/75, Walton Heath £115/145, St Georges Hill £115/145, The Berkshire £95/125, Worplesdon £75/95, West Sussex £70/90, Deal £100/130 & Royal St Georges £140/180.

Comparing 2 clubs in one day maybe fun but it's usually a very expensive way of enjoying your golf and you miss out on relaxing and enjoying the ambience of the club.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 09:01:56 AM by Mark Chaplin »
Cave Nil Vino

John Shimp

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2010, 09:10:54 AM »
Having played Woking and The Addington this summer.  I heartily recommend per Sean Arble's guidance.  Very different courses and places but unique and fun in their ways.  Woking is superb.

Scott Warren

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2010, 09:33:06 AM »
I had wondered to myself how you and your sons got on with your trip, John. Glad to hear you had a good time.

Jud_T

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2010, 10:20:19 AM »
Don't forget the finest 9-hole course on the planet, 60 pounds all day ticket:

http://www.royalworlington.co.uk/
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

John Mayhugh

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2010, 11:10:38 AM »
Mitch,
All of these seem like great suggestions so far.  I visited the London area for golf last year for the first time.  The more you study, the harder it becomes to decide on where to play. Whatever you do, make an effort to have a game with some of the GCA guys that have posted.  You won't be sorry.  And by all means, go down to Deal & Sandwich.

After a while, just be prepared for your mom to say something like "Mitch, I'm adjusting fine to living in London.  It's really not necessary for you to come back and check on me every two months." 

Brad Tufts

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2010, 06:09:57 PM »
Does she have an extra room available for former golf teammates?

Tell her I will knock three times and sing Cheer Boys Cheer...
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Mitch St. Peter

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2010, 10:43:27 PM »
Brad, she's got plenty of room and teammates are welcome.

Thank you all for the responses, very helpful.  Pretty clear you can get a lot of great golf and do so without renting a car.  I look forward to a match or two with some of you when I make it over, although it might not be for a few months.

Mark:  I'm originally from San Francisco and play out of Olympic. However, I've lived in New York city for the last 2.5 years.  I've played in Ireland and Scotland so I've seen a fair amount of links golf. That said, you can never see enough.

I've always wanted to explore heathland golf, just as long as its firm and fast.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back