News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rich Brittingham

Re: Getting out of deep bunkers
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2009, 02:36:29 PM »
While you can't see the steps in this photo, I thought it was a good excuse to post.  This is the 16th at Dye's PGA West Stadium Course.  The stairs are great as the run up the side slope of the bunker back towards the fariway, keeping them hidden from view as you aproach the green.

jim_lewis

« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2009, 02:46:39 PM »
Instead of worrying about getting out of a deep bunker, time is better spent practicing the shot that put you there.
"Crusty"  Jim
Freelance Curmudgeon

Dean DiBerardino

« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2009, 03:21:10 PM »
Stairs, but not all deep.....

Lenny Polakoff

« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2009, 03:31:39 PM »
I can't remember if the the 2nd at GCGC has steps?

Bill_McBride

« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2009, 11:04:08 PM »
Instead of worrying about getting out of a deep bunker, time is better spent practicing the shot that put you there.

Now you tell me!   ;D

Actually it was an unanticipated puff of wind that knocked down a pretty solid iron shot - twice!

Joel Zuckerman

« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2009, 01:24:23 PM »
Regarding Pete's famous bunker on the 16th of the Stadium Course at PGA West--here's the story behind it:

Most of the mayhem on this ultra-penal GC was done on purpose.  But as has often been the case in his remarkable career, what has become one of the most memorable junctures on the course came about by accident.  “I had envisioned a greenside bunker of medium depth on the par-5 16th,” explains Dye.  “I told the bulldozer operator to dig until he hit water, but that didn’t happen until the pit was more than 20 feet deep.”  The developers were dubious about the penal nature of the hazard, but Dye extricated a golf ball onto the putting surface on his very first attempt, so they let it stand.
   Of course, Pete Dye was skillful enough to play in the U.S. Amateur, British Amateur, and U.S. Open.  The overwhelming majority of golfers stuck within this cavern of doom most assuredly are not.  So the 20-foot-high wall of grass that must be carried to reach the putting surface is as imposing as the Berlin Wall and inspires more praying than the Wailing Wall.  Dye once remarked: “No one can describe the jubilation of hitting a shot over the 20-foot-steep bank of that bunker.”  Perhaps he meant that literally.  No one can describe it because virtually no one can do it.

BCrosby

« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2009, 01:57:33 PM »
That thing looks as frightening as the front left bunker on the 17th on The Honors Course. I'd guess Dye built both about the same time.

I like these mega-bunkers. They work especially well on par 5's where reaching the green with your second shot is an option. They are much more interesting than some sort of water feature.

Bob   

Rich Brittingham

« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2009, 02:31:32 PM »
Regarding Pete's famous bunker on the 16th of the Stadium Course at PGA West--here's the story behind it:

No one can describe it because virtually no one can do it.

I'll admit in the picture I bladed it pretty good, hitting hard into the side of the slope, which popped it gently up into the air, ending up about 8 feet from the cup.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back