News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom Birkert

Normal weather in San Fran / Monterey in January / February
« on: October 29, 2009, 12:43:59 PM »
A spot of advice please people, especially from those of you fortunate enough to live in California...

What does the weather tend to be like in January and February? I'm not bothered by cold, wind or rain individually, but all 3 at the same time are a bit much.

I'm planning on flying to San Fran and then heading down to Monterey before heading to LA and Palm Springs, but if the weather at the start of the year tends to be pretty bad then I might re-arrange.

Thanks in advance.

Kalen Braley

Re: Normal weather in San Fran / Monterey in January / February
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 12:59:01 PM »
Its hit and miss....

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 01:06:41 PM »
Tim,

Having lived here for quite some time I would say that I haven't a clue. I am sure you have seen the 'Crosby' on television with blue skies and brilliant sunshine; checking in a year later you might find that the whole thing has been postponed because of severe weather and Spyglass being waterlogged.

If I had a second home in Palm Desert, I think I would prefer it to PB in January and February.

Bob

David_Tepper

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 01:10:30 PM »
Tom -

I have lived in San Francisco for 37 years.
You can have some glorious days in those months, with blue skies and temps into the 60's or even higher.
However, the vast majority of rain we get in Northern California falls between November 1 and March 31.
You could arrive and find it rains every day while you are here.   
Figure the temps will be in the low 40's at nite and the high 50's (hopefully higher) during the day.

The biggest problem with golf in NorCal during those months is that the courses (especially the older courses) do not drain very well and  tend to get very soft and play heavy during the winter months. Even if you get good weather while you are here, you may find the courses very sloppy if it has rained much within the prior week or two.

DT 

Jed Peters

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2009, 01:12:25 PM »
Sometimes it rains.

Sometimes it's sunny.

Sometimes it's warm.

Sometimes it's cold.

It doesn't snow though. So that's nice.

Tony Weiler

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2009, 01:27:09 PM »
The same can be said, of So Cal, too, but maybe not to the same degree.  A Feb. a few years back, rained so hard for about 4 straight days, then finally it got sunny.  Around 70, and played Torrey So.  Really, really long course when wet!!

Adam Clayman

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2009, 01:46:19 PM »
On the peninsula, Fort Ord and Pacific Grove drain the fastest.

You'd have to be pretty unlucky to get skunked for more than one day, if you were there for a few days. That's assuming there's not a major weather system predicted.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Tom Birkert

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2009, 01:59:34 PM »
Thanks all. Looks like I'll just have to take a chance and see what the weather brings...

I can handle bad weather, especially on some of the courses I intend to play, and I'll have Palm Springs and Vegas to dry me out / warm me up after if needed!

Adam Clayman

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2009, 02:02:44 PM »
Tom, Do not expect Vegas to be warm either.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2009, 02:27:57 PM »
Tom, Do not expect Vegas to be warm either.

Adam,

Even so, the fairways on the Shore play firmer.

Bob

Tim Leahy

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2009, 02:32:02 PM »
I have always found the weather in January is usually better at the beginning of the month. Also, it seems that the weather in January usually is the same as the weather on Thanksgiving. Also if it's cold and windy at Pebble it might be cliear and warm at Pasatiempo.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

rchesnut

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2009, 01:45:03 AM »
You can't predict what you'll get that time of year, but if you're tolerant of decent golf conditions, odds are overwhelmingly good that you'll be able to play.   It might rain, but a lot of the courses drain well...and you'd be pretty unlucky to get cold and windy weather.  I'll play at Pasatiempo every weekend all winter, and I might miss one or two weekends a year due to heavy rain (none due to cold or wind), and most of the weekends I'm teeing off at 8am in shorts and a light jacket, and I'm often taking off that jacket on the back 9.  As US golf vacation spots go that time of year, you won't get much better outside Florida or Arizona.   

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2009, 12:06:48 PM »
Rob,

I have only played Pasatiempo in wonderful weather but isnt Santa Cruz  much warmer than the Peninsula? Pasa surely is never as windy as the Pebble Beach courses.

Bob

rchesnut

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2009, 04:35:56 PM »
I think you're probably right Bob...I'm a little spoiled here at Pasa, I think the winter weather is usually warmer and less windy here than at other spots in the area.    I'd certainly tell Tom to plan to play Pasatiempo if he wants to improve his odds of good weather. 

Damon Groves

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2009, 11:50:27 PM »
Tom -

I have lived in San Francisco for 37 years.
You can have some glorious days in those months, with blue skies and temps into the 60's or even higher.
However, the vast majority of rain we get in Northern California falls between November 1 and March 31.
You could arrive and find it rains every day while you are here.   
Figure the temps will be in the low 40's at nite and the high 50's (hopefully higher) during the day.

The biggest problem with golf in NorCal during those months is that the courses (especially the older courses) do not drain very well and  tend to get very soft and play heavy during the winter months. Even if you get good weather while you are here, you may find the courses very sloppy if it has rained much within the prior week or two.

DT 

I agree with the above regarding course conditions. The weather is simply hit or mis with no rhyme or reason during that time.

Tom Birkert

« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2009, 12:20:23 PM »
Thank you to everyone for the advice.

I've taken the plunge and gone for the first two weeks in March along with a friend of mine who is an Royal St George's Member. Now working on an itinerary.

If anyone fancies a game please send me a PM. Plan is as I stated in my original post - to start in San Francisco, head to Monterey, then LA and Palm Springs before finishing in Vegas.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back