News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jud_T

Re: Another hole ruined with a stupid tree
« Reply #50 on: November 04, 2009, 02:41:30 PM »
long putters that touch the torso.....
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Mac Plumart

« Reply #51 on: November 04, 2009, 03:43:52 PM »
Alright y'all...here is my first attempt to put some photos on the site...

First his is the image of the tree in question...it is the only one on the fairway side of the cart path.

You can't really see it from the tee box because of the hill and the dogleg.  Here's the view of the hole from the tee box...

As I see it you have two choices...hit a drive longer that 265 down anywhere in the fairway except left as you will be in the bunker or hit a 220 yard shot to the left of the fairway.  If you hit 250ish down the middle of the fairway here is your approach shot...

Those branches seem to catch a number of balls and the 170-180 fade to an elevated green isn't easy.

But if you play to the left side of the fairway here's your apporach, which is about 20 yards further than the prior one.

And once you do make it to the green, here's what you have left...

So, is this tree simply adding to the strategic interest of the hole or is it a bad idea to have it there?
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #52 on: November 10, 2009, 05:02:49 PM »
Man...

I sneak out on the course to snap these picutres and while taking the pictures a seniors group steps up to the tee, which I don't notice.  They have to wait on me as I stand in the middle of the fairway taking pictures.  After waiting on me, they finally tee off, and drive up the fairway, where I am standing in the trees waiting for them to play through, and they proceed to chew me out for making them wait.

And then, no one reponds to my pictures/post for which I risked life and limb.  UGH!!!

Anyone care to comment after learning of my life altering experience?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 05:06:20 PM by Mac Plumart »
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #53 on: November 10, 2009, 05:22:41 PM »
Mac, when the ball manufacturers bring out balls that spin more (to counteract the loss of U-grooves!), you will be able to more easily hit the tee shot that I think that hole calls for -- a hot fade right at that left fairway bunker.  That will insure you have a shot without messing with the tree on the right side.

One of the neat things about Donald Ross designs is the demands on the player to shape shots.  Many holes required draw tee shots followed by faded approach shots or vice versa.  This hole looks like a vice versa!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back