News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Norbert P

Hickory Golf at Old Bandon Golf Links (W/ YouTube link)
« on: November 04, 2009, 10:44:26 PM »
   YouTube has a charming hickory match held back in April at the newly renovated Old Bandon Golf Links, featuring some heavyweights of Hickory Golf. Apparently, the golf is so fantastic that the spirits of Old Tom Morris and Bobby Jones got restless and decided to show this new upstart Randy Jensen, the National Hickory Golf Champion (eight times over), just how the game used to be played.    Complete with sand tees, sodfaced bunkers, and plus fours!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=I80oBBOYqO8

www.oldbandongolflinks.com/

« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 11:01:11 PM by Slag Bandoon »
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Bill_McBride

Re: Hickory Golf at Old Bandon Golf Links (W/ YouTube link)
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 11:18:55 PM »
Slagster, where is Old Bandon Golf Links?

Ryan Admussen

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 11:33:17 PM »
It's a 9 hole course in Bandon, used to be called Bandon Face Rock GC, stumbled onto the website when I was looking for other courses in the area to play

Pete_Pittock

Re: Hickory Golf at Old Bandon Golf Links (W/ YouTube link) New
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 12:05:05 AM »
Here's a picture of me getting ready to go out for 9 holes with hickory rental clubs.

I was down there about a month ago, but Troy Russell was out of town. The supply of rental sets is limited. If you want to go old school, call ahead and reserve a set. The Russells have done a nice job, creating some interesting bunker complexes and working on drainage. I wish they could weed out the
creek where it crosses the fairways, it seems to gather the hickories at an alarming rate.

The card for hickories
1. 4-228; creek down the right side
2. 5-318; creek down the right side
3. 4-164; cross creek, creek to left of green
4. 4-263; creek on right side
5. 4-240; creek on right side
6. 4-160; cross creek at tee
7. 4-246; cross creek on tee shot
8. 4-174
9. 3-122; cross creek in front of green
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 11:33:34 PM by Pete_Pittock »

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2009, 12:09:21 AM »
Old Bandon Golf Links is on the beach loop in the SW part of town. It is next to Best Western Bandon Face Rock, not currently affiliiated with motel. The course is owned and operated by Troy Russell and family. Troy was a superintedent at Bandon Dunes resort and headed the construction team at Wine Valley. His brother Tony was a shaper at Bandon and other great sites .

The conditioning at OBGL has improved very dramatically from what is shown in the Youtube video.

Play stymies!

Above: Two of the three shall sod faced bunkers on the eighth hole.

Above: The short third hole crossed Johnson's Creek, but you need to watch out for the bunker complex. The creek comes into play again by the green.

Above: Bunker complex on the second hole. The striped pole is at 75 yards ( I believe).
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 02:44:32 PM by Pete_Pittock »

Norbert P

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2009, 12:15:19 PM »
 Peter, the juxtaposition of a leather bag with hickories on a golf cart is hilarious.  I hope you haven't given Melvin a heart attack.
Thanks for the pictures --- the Principal's Nose bunker complex is cool old school.   

I'm hoping Alfie Ward -- the evangelist of hickory golf -- sees this thread and Youtube reel.    Perhaps it'll get him over here for a visit.

Good job Troy and Kim, and congrats on your new position of President of Northwest Turfgrass Association.
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2009, 10:39:32 PM »
Slag,
That was a staged picture, obviously. I did manage to walk all nine holes. Fortunately someone was thoughful enough to leave water bottles on each hole so I stayed well hydrated.

Was in Medford the night before (2 rule days at Centennail) and drove the narrow route from Grants Pass/Merlin to Agness/Godl Beach to look at the land where P B Dye is going to build at Pistol River. OBGL was a stop on the rest of the drive back to Portland.

Mike Policano

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2009, 09:51:28 AM »
Ballyneal has a couple of sets of hickories.  They are great to play with on the second round of each day from the forward tees which is a slightly shorter walk.  With the firmness of the fairways and greens, you just have to get the ball going.  An excellent course for hickories.

Cheers

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2009, 11:29:01 AM »
Note to self...2015 trip for 50th birthday

Old Bandon
Bandon Crossings
Old Macdonald
Bandon Dunes
Bandon Trails
Pacific Dunes
Sheep Ranch

Check.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Jud_T

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2009, 11:36:12 AM »
Ronald,

don't forget the conservation course... 8)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 03:47:32 PM by Jud Tigerman »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2009, 02:34:09 PM »
I know!  I had forgotten that one.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back