News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Elvins

What are your favorite courses that....
« on: August 04, 2011, 05:19:55 AM »
you have never been to...

I will go first:

1. Fishers Island:  Before I visited golfclubatlas, one thing I knew was that i ddint like the geometric engineered style of MacDonald and Raynor.  Now I am completely fascinated by it (I am sure partly because I have only seen one of their courses).  Fishers Island seems to not only have some great template holes and terrain, but firm conditiosn and an amaxing ambience.

2. Ballyneal:  Barnbougle Dunes in my favorite golf course.  Ballyneal looks like it's long lost borther.  I have never studied the course intently but don't need to or want to.   I know that I would love it.  

3. Royal Dornoch:  The course looks like it merges into the town, it looks quite manufactured for a links course but there just seem to be so many challenging shots.  And you can play almost 20 hours a day in summer.

4. Augusta National:  I don't care what anyone says, I am convinced this is a super golf course.  Big greens, wild contours, lots of short grass, dramatic shots and amazing history, why wouldn't you want to play here.  

5. Crystay Downs:  I love MacKenzie, undulating greens, and variety of par 4s.  Thsi place would seem to have it all

*Very honourable mentions: Rock Creek and NGLA, for many of the reasons listed above.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 07:46:24 AM by David_Elvins »
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Scott Warren

Re: What are your top 5 favorite courses that....
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 05:42:11 AM »
1. NGLA - I loved Fishers Island, so I'm fascinated by the first course where those templates were used and where CB Mac and Raynor first collaborated, plus its place in golf history and lore... Looking at pics, every shot looks like a huge amount of fun.

2. Sunningdale (New) - All the great things about many heathland favourites with a set of greens that most others lack.

3. Ballyneal - Like Dave says, I love Barny Dunes - lifetime top three favourites - and so this is one I am sure I'll love when the time comes!

4. ANGC - So many great-looking shots, so much tournament history, the chance to maybe birdie a couple of them, and it's beautiful.

5. Morfontaine - Simpson is my favourite ODG, France is my favourite country, heathland is my favourite style of golf. Enough said!

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 07:07:09 AM »
David

By definition I have to see something first before it can become a "favourite" ???

Mac Plumart

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 07:31:46 AM »
Royal County Down
Royal Melbourne (I'll take either)
Riviera
Sunningdale (Old...but I'll take the New as well  :) )
Painswick looks sweet
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

David_Elvins

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 07:48:48 AM »
David

By definition I have to see something first before it can become a "favourite" ???

I would recommend buying a new dictionary, Kev  ;)
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Mike Hogan

Re: What are your favorite courses that....
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 08:17:53 AM »
1. NGLA
2. Pine Valley
3. Woodhill CC, Mn
4. Sand Hills
5. Royal County Down

Someday!

Anthony Gray

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2011, 08:26:33 AM »

I would like to see Riviera. Been there but not played. From television it looks like many of the holes have memorable features.

Anthony

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2011, 08:52:48 AM »
I've "been to" Pine Valley but never played there. I was supposed to play there but my host got sick and cancelled and later died so that chance escaped me. I've been there 3x for the Crump Cup.

As to others in the US that I've never "been to" AND never played:

1.NGLA

2. Shinnecock

3. Riviera

4. SFGC or Cypress Point

5. Elephant Rocks
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 12:55:36 PM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Carl Johnson

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2011, 10:05:12 AM »
Cypress Point Club
Deal (Royal Cinque Ports GC)
Pacific Dunes (at Bandon Dunes Golf Resort)
Seminole GC
Machrihanish GC

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2011, 10:57:16 AM »
David

I would recommend buying a new dictionary, Kev  ;)

David

I'm comfortable with my interpretation. A wish or dream on the hand.....might yield
Crystal Downs
Pinehurst 2
Oakmont
ANGC
Ellerston

Mike Tanner

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2011, 11:16:07 AM »
Leaving aside the debate about "favorite," the top 5 courses that I've never played but would like to play are:
The Old Course
Royal County Down
NGLA
Cypress Point
Royal Melbourne
Life's too short to waste on bad golf courses or bad wine.

JC Jones

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2011, 11:25:30 AM »
I've used a lot of threads on here to try and gain access to Pine Valley, this one shall be no different.

Pine Valley
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Alex Miller

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2011, 11:29:54 AM »
In no particular order

Cypress Point Club
NGLA
AGNC
Sand Hills
Royal County Down

Honorable Mentions: Pinehurst #2 (going next year anyways!), LA North post reno, Yale, Ballyneal, Shinnecock, Friars Head, Cruden Bay, SFGC, Barnbougle Dunes, Pine Valley, Merion

Obviously there were plenty to choose from  ;D
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 11:32:05 AM by Alex Miller »

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2011, 12:49:07 PM »
Dave,

What's with the Mucciesque, cut-off topic heading(...)?
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Greg Tallman

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2011, 12:52:45 PM »
Cypress
Crystal Downs
Shinnecock
Royal County Down
Old Course

J Sadowsky

« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2011, 01:29:56 PM »
Since I've never been to ANY of my favorite courses, the second half of this question is unneccesary for me!

1) Oakmont.  Just love the look of the course.  Has everything I'd want in a course.  Probably ignoring the fact that it is way too difficult for me.  Actually have an "open invite" to play there, which I need to utilize in the next few years - I don't get to Pittsburgh much.

2) Royal County Down.  Not much else to say, but to me it is the pinnacle of links golf.  Once again, probably underestimating the difficulty factor.

3) Pine Valley.  Starting to see a trend here....

4) Pinehurst #2, post rennovation.  Looks like something meant to be played.

5) NGLA/Mid-Ocean Club (tied).  I've never played a Raynor/MacDonald course, so the idea of playing the great templates is fascinating.

Michael Huber

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2011, 01:52:54 PM »
Sand Hills and Garden City for this gentleman.  The write up Ran did for GCCC is my favorite on this website. 

And I'll throw in the Jans for good measure.  I don't know anything about it other than shivas loves to talk about the Jans, but I really wonder what its like. 

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2011, 02:01:17 PM »
Cypress Point, unless driving by counts ...

jonathan_becker

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2011, 02:52:05 PM »
1. Royal Melbourne West
2. Royal Melbourne Composite
3. Royal Melbourne Presidents Cup routing
4. Kingston Heath
5. Barnbougle Dunes

Ash Towe

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2011, 03:04:34 PM »
Shinnecock  Always been at the top of my most wanted list

Pine Valley   Continuing the trend

RCD            Likely next year

Merion

Oakmont

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2011, 03:11:57 PM »
Umm, how about "my next one, whatever it might be?"

Steve,

Sad to hear about your host dying. I have almost had that happen, but in my case, the host finished the round, but complained of feeling poorly and begged off dinner.  He died the next night.

Years ago, Killian and Nugent had an appointment at Medinah, and when the reached the front gate and asked for the superintendent, they were informed that he had just passed away from a bee sting, and they had talked to him just an hour before.  That kind of stuff is always unsettling.  S
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back