News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Anthony Gray

Castle Stuart......Hole 3
« on: October 29, 2009, 03:03:02 PM »

Par 4....290 yards.....Bunker is 200 yards from tee......The miss is to the left...Hazard on right and behind the green....Very aesthetic.

Marty Bonnar

Re: Castle Stuart......Hole 3
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 03:05:27 PM »
I love the revetted 'grunker' almost as much as I love the orange Pants!

:-*
FBD
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 03:13:13 PM »

Laugh of the day!
 ;D

Great looking hole in spite of the dayglo orange pants.

You layed up to 140 yards? What kind of pencil and card play was that?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 03:14:47 PM by Garland Bayley »
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

jonathan_becker

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 03:19:09 PM »
Anthony,

The guy with the red sleeves in the first photo.... did he hit that iron greenside off the tee or was he pitching back to the fairway in the later photo?  Seeing that same guy in your Cruden photos, he looks he really slings it right to left!  I love slinging it when I can.

Or am I wrong wrong on all accounts  :)

Anthony Gray

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2009, 03:22:50 PM »

That was actually a 170 yard driver.............Look at the wind at the windblowing John Mayhugh's orange pants.

Anthony

Anthony Gray

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2009, 03:24:38 PM »
Anthony,

The guy with the red sleeves in the first photo.... did he hit that iron greenside off the tee or was he pitching back to the fairway in the later photo?  Seeing that same guy in your Cruden photos, he looks he really slings it right to left!  I love slinging it when I can.

Or am I wrong wrong on all accounts  :)

Everbody's secuond shots went right of the green because of the wind. My ball is the one in the water.

Anthony

jonathan_becker

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2009, 03:28:42 PM »
 :D I guess I should have looked at the pants! 

Bob Jenkins

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2009, 04:42:06 PM »

Anthony,

Okay, who is "twinkletoes" in the first pic? It takes talent to get up on your toes like that.

Also, I was told by John Mayhugh that it was the Michael Jackson style of pants and they were not shaped by the wind.

That hole looks fantastic!

Anthony Gray

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2009, 04:46:13 PM »

Anthony,

Okay, who is "twinkletoes" in the first pic? It takes talent to get up on your toes like that.

Also, I was told by John Mayhugh that it was the Michael Jackson style of pants and they were not shaped by the wind.

Bob,

That is a scotish kid that out drives me with that 2 iron. John refuses to give me his waste size.

Anthony

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2009, 06:55:01 PM »

Anthony,

I think Tony Jacklin and Brian Huggett used lift their heels up just like "twinkletoes".

There ought to be a law against wearing throusers like those :D How did you manage to concentrate on your golf?

Dónal.

Grant Saunders

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2009, 03:53:22 AM »
Anthony

What kind of scores did your group post on this hole? Does it play tougher than you thought it would standing on the tee?

Grant

Anthony Gray

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2009, 08:09:20 AM »
Anthony

What kind of scores did your group post on this hole? Does it play tougher than you thought it would standing on the tee?

Grant

Grant,

It was so windy nobody hit the green in two. Did you work on the course?

Anthony

Scott Warren

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2009, 08:13:32 AM »
The only thing I love more than the revettment down to the grass area is Marty calling it a "grunker"!

Grant Saunders

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2009, 05:27:39 AM »
Anthony

Yes, I did work on the course during construction. It was possibly the most creative and passionate team of people that I have had the pleasure of working with. 

I wasn't fortunate enough to play the course as the grow-in was not finished but I spent many hours on the holes and the 3rd is one of my favourites. It is great to see your pics now that it has matured. I always felt that is one of those holes where you can make bogey without really hitting a bad shot yet on the tee you are thinking of making birdie.

Hole number 2 is also another of my favourites with its huge range of options of how to play the hole. The opening stretch of 1-4 is one of the best starts to a course, in terms of variety, that I have experienced.

Grant

Bill_McBride

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2009, 01:40:26 PM »

Anthony,

I have a little "twinkletoes" thing going on here at Olympic Club's long downhill par 3 third hole!

Luckily I have a pretty good short game and made 3 any way!

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2009, 03:13:19 PM »

Do not think that new larger ball is going to work, first its one heck of a size; second, will it fit the cups. Third, what is it like when you make contact with the club, any vibration up the shaft? ;D

Also was that an air shot causing a 180 degree turn hence no longer facing the ball, mind you not certain I would like to make contact with that ball ;)

Melvyn

Garland Bayley

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2009, 01:30:22 AM »

Anthony,

I have a little "twinkletoes" thing going on here at Olympic Club's long downhill par 3 third hole!

Luckily I have a pretty good short game and made 3 any way!

Glad to see we got to see your better side here Ace.
Are you sure you're not just wearing lifts in the shoes to make up for being vertically challenged?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

David_Elvins

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2009, 02:26:16 AM »
So  the world's greatest living golf architect has tried ot create the world's greatest short par 4 and we are stuck talking about orange pants and twinkle toes?

Anthony,

What were your thoughts on the hole.  It looks to me, from what you describe that with the wind as you describe, a running approach is optimum.  However the contours only allow a running approach from the right of the fairway.  Does th location of the two fairway bunkers (centreline and one further on) make for two small a target for the tee shot out to the right? 

What are the prevailing winds? 
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Jeffrey Prest

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2009, 06:36:57 PM »
Never mind orange pants, you have to love the irony of a course charging £150 a round, then playing 'Fanfare for the Common Man' as its website backing track...

Garland Bayley

« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2009, 12:21:55 AM »
Anthony,

It would be easier for everyone to see what you are showing if you could get Brandy to do your posts like this.

Par 4....290 yards.....Bunker is 200 yards from tee......The miss is to the left...Hazard on right and behind the green....Very aesthetic.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back