News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Evan Fleisher

Bayshore Golf Course, Miami Beach, FL
« on: April 04, 2002, 05:00:45 AM »
I just returned from a vacation trip to South Florida, and drove past an old stomping ground of mine...the Bayshore Golf Course located in the heart of Miami Beach very close to South Beach right on Alton Road.

Having not seen the course for over a year, I was shocked (pleasantly, mind you) to see that the ENTIRE course was gone!  I mean stripped all the way down to dirt, old clubhouse and starter shacks demolished, etc.

This old course, dated from the early 1930's and designed by Robert VonHagge, was a fun course to play with plenty of ocean breezes and water to keep the round interesting.  Over the years the course fell into disrepair, and after the AGC management company took it over, it really went to pot.  So...seeing the course barren and new shaping and planting going on, I was quite excited!

I stopped by the old parking lot to read the signs put up, but they were of little help in telling me what was going on, who took over the course, who is doing the redesign, etc.  I was wondering if anyone here had any information on what they are planning on doing with this most valuable piece of real estate near SoBe...an upscale course, another nice muni for Miami Beach residents?

I'm very interested in finding out.  Thanks!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Jeff_Brauer

Re: Bayshore Golf Course, Miami Beach, FL
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2002, 05:42:54 AM »
I interviewed for that project at least four years ago.  Art Hills got the job.

Although its not unusual to see this much lag time in a project, and things probably haven't changed, its possible that they have.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

J Cabarcos

Re: Bayshore Golf Course, Miami Beach, FL
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 01:11:08 PM »
Should anyone have info filling in the 90+ year history of Bayshore Golf Course, any assistance would be much appreciated.  The following is what I have been able to find through fellow GCA'er and on the web.

Quick Timeline:

1921            Willie Park lays out 18 golf holes to create a “championship golf course”

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=2206&dat=19210720&id=hFctAAAAIBAJ&sjid=ftgFAAAAIBAJ&pg=6262,1264217

1922-23   Bayshore Golf Course is Inaugurated

1926            Miami Hurricane - Course was underwater and subsequently went through changes.

1927-29    Bayshore hosts the Miami Beach Open. Gene Sarazen wins each year.
      Ornate Mediterranean Clubhouse built
        Each year changes were made during the closed summer months.

1930s    Decline: Great Depression compounds previous Florida Land Sale Bust

1940s    World War II - Course was transformed to a military training facility.   
      Developers almost succeed turning Bayshore into a housing development
      Bayshore is restored back into a golf course of prominence. (Redesign by ??? Golf Architect)

1950s    Sam Snead wins the first Miami Beach Open after a twenty year tour absence from Bayshore
      New Clubhouse is built

1960s    Gary Player wins 1961 Sunshine Open, Arnold Palmer runner up.
      Doral takes pro tour away from Miami Beach
      Jackie Gleason Era at Bayshore
      Renovations by Bruce Devlin & Robert von Hagge

1970s    Decline: Miami Beach becomes Gods Waiting Room
1980s    More Decline: Miami Beach becomes playground for the Cocaine Cowboys
1990s    South Beach’s resurrection prompts Bayshore to get it together.

2000           Course is razed, Every blade of grass on course removed, Clubhouse demolished Over 10 Million dollars are spent.
      Arthur Hills/ Steve Forrest golf course emerged in 2003, renamed Miami Beach Golf Club

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back