News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott Warren

Co. Louth/Baltray - awesome greensites! (pics)
« on: October 26, 2009, 01:28:48 PM »
Baltray, last Friday, was my first ever game of Irish golf. A 5am alarm saw me on the move for the next seven and a half hours getting from my front door to the first tee, but it was worth the tube/bus/plane/car trip!!

The thing that stood out for me was the greensites. Many of them flowed really beautifully and, just as importantly, naturally off the sides of the dunes and just looked so perfect in their setting.

Pat Ruddy was right to note that it was a masterstroke by Tom Simpson that the greens look so charming but are a major challenge to play to. I'd class the best four or five as being as fun to play as the greens at TOC, and that's saying something!

The third green is the first to really wow you, though the three gentle tiers of the second green are a highlight of that hole. The entire green complex at the third is hidden from view until you're 30 yards short, with a rough-covered dune short left dominating the view on approach. At the green the land falls strongly to the left, where a steep side slope channels balls away to a closely-shaved chipping area, and gentle slopes on the side of the hill mean the chip is no straightforward recovery.

The fourth hole would probably get more talk were the 14th not such a cracking short par four. Bunkerless, the fairway from 70 yards out right up to the green is a rollercoaster ride, with a main channel running diagonally to the left catching aggressive te shots that end up in "no man's land", forcing a tough 30-50 yard pitch and run to a green that, camouflaged by the more dramatic slopes around it, looks much flatter than it is. There's a speed slot on the right edge of the green that will help the ball on, but that requires a dangerous carry over long rough.

The fifth is the first par three, and probably the best one-shotter on the course. The green slopes hard from right to left, and the slope at the front doesn't mess around either, depositing anything short either into the bunker (from where almost any pin is likely to be cut on land sloping away from you, forcing you to play right and use the contours) or back down the hill 30 yards short, leaving a chip/pitch up the hill reminiscent of the 6th at Deal, but to a far more treacherous green.

If you're not in golfing Nirvana by the time you putt out on the 6th, you have no soul ;D. The drive on this par five is over the right edge of a fairway trap, leaving a tempting second. The green falls away on all sides, and with a bunker right, I over-compensated and missed left, leaving a tough chip onto a green that does all it can to shrug balls played from that side into a collection area behind the bunker. Again, it just looks so natural atop the dune, and some closely-mown grass and subtle green contours provide the challenge.

The 7th is a mid to short-iron to an angled green, and though missing short doesn't look that great from the tee, this slope at the back right is infinitely more demanding, with a strong back-to-front slope encouraging a recovery struck to firmly to accelerate back down the front. These two par threes mentioned so far and the really enjoyable 15th (which reminded me of #6 at Sandwich - pic further down) are perhaps the best links par threes I have played behind Rye, and just in front of Sandwich, Trevose and North Berwick. Pity the 17th is a bit of a dog.

So that's five scintillating greens in a row, turning holes of reasonably comfortable length into tough pars.

From there you come to a bit of quiet time as far as the greens are concerned, with 8 and 11 offering some subtle and even slopes and 9/10 being pretty flat, then comes the 12th, which, with its flag just visible beyond rolling "sea swell" dunes, has more than a hint of the 3rd at Deal about it (I know, enough with the Deal comparisons...). What a fun long iron shot, running the ball the last 30 yards or so over the dip and onto the green, with that great couple of minutes afterwards waiting to see how it turned out! I never tire of that feeling. I also liked that there was plenty of space used in conjunction with the blindness, much the same as 13 at Rye.

The 14th green was so devilish that, at 322 yards, it may well be the shortest par 4.5 hole I have played. I was faced with a pin cut at the front, and saw first-hand that any putt from the top tier was nigh on improssible to stop near the hole. Add in the steep greenfront slopes and it's one of those greens you would take decades to master, if you ever did.

The 16th green demands to be approached from the left, where an opening in the dunes gives you a look right up the green, and brings the running approach into play. Anything driven right, which is tempting from the elevated tee, leaves a second shot over a tall dune that blocks your vision completely and requires that the ball be flown onto the green.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 01:32:57 PM by Scott Warren »

John Mayhugh

Re: Co. Louth/Baltray - awesome greensites! (pics)
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 01:50:12 PM »
Great pics and descriptions of the greens.  I'm glad you liked it.

My day at Baltray was in consistent 30 MPH breezes.  We had a front hole location on 14 with the wind blowing from back to front.  You either made a putt or were back off the front of the green.  Some of the most frustrating fun ever.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 01:52:11 PM »

Hidden Gem?

Anthony

Jud_T

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 02:01:51 PM »
Definitely a hidden gem.  Way to start Scott, Baltray was my virgin Irish track as well...
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 02:03:52 PM by Jud Tigerman »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

mike_malone

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 02:10:57 PM »
 They played the Irish Open there, so it isn't hidden from the Irish. I played there in 1998.
AKA Mayday

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2009, 04:55:40 PM »
Scott

Thanks for taking the time to post some pics. Baltray was a great test for mine around the greens. Am glad you enjoyed your time there.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009, 04:57:07 PM »
I really enjoyed Baltray.  We stayed in the clubhouse and played 41 holes -- two 18-hole rounds, plus a five-hole two-ball match against two twelve-year-olds who challenged us after we struck up a conversation at lunch because they thought it was bizarre that we were drinking Guinness with our food!  I agree that the greens were generally terrific and that it has a great set of par 3's, and it was also in terrific condition.  But there were also a few things that weren't top-notch -- among other things, the three-tiered green on 2 seems out of place, 17 wasn't nearly as good as the other par 3's, a couple of par 4's on the back were a little mundane, and 18 wasn't a great finishing hole.  The stay and play deal, though, is about as good a value as we found in Ireland.

Dub_ONeill

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2009, 04:59:17 PM »
This is a perfect place to fit in a round when traveling between County Down and Dublin. Has anyone stayed in the Dormie? I see I was too slow with the inquiry.

Sean Walsh

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2009, 07:00:54 PM »
Scott,

As you have mentioned a lovely course. Up there with Lahinch as my favourite in Irleand.

Would be held in even higher esteem if the golfing authorities at the time had gone with County Louth's application to have the standard round reduced to 16 holes.  Declining this application led to the club adding two holes (to the original 16) on the flattest most useless part of the site that contain today's 17th and 18th holes. (Fantasy of course but it is the only explanation I can come up with for the dross that is 17 and 18)

As for 14 ohh the love of my life (no one tell Rachel - that means you FBD)  The most glorious spot in all golf is standing on the tee at 14 surveying the whole of Baltray before you and the Irish Sea behind.  One of my greatest achievements in golf is a birdie on 14. For anyone interested The 12th tee at Port Fairy (although the hole isn't wonderful) and the walk between 4 & 5 at Barnbougle are also high on that list.

I must add my thanks to Paul Daley for persuading me to add this to my itinerary on my first trip to Ireland.  A course I will play every time I set foot on the Emerald Isle.

Padraig Dooley

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2009, 07:17:17 PM »
Sean

Baltray didn't always start with the present first. The present fourth was the first at one stage.

As for Baltray being a 'hidden gem'. It's one of the best known courses in Ireland and has had some of the best known golfing families in the country.

There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.
  - Pablo Picasso

Carl Nichols

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2009, 10:36:17 PM »
Sean

Baltray didn't always start with the present first. The present fourth was the first at one stage.

As for Baltray being a 'hidden gem'. It's one of the best known courses in Ireland and has had some of the best known golfing families in the country.

Padraig:
Was it originally a full 18?  Other than starting at 4 (a fun hole to start with!), how else did it differ?

Rob Rigg

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2009, 10:46:56 PM »
Scott,

The course looked great at the Irish Open this year and seeing your photos just confirms my desire to get there - thanks.

I have definitely added this to the list of courses to play when I am trying from Dooblin to Kyavan next time I head back to the maternal homeland.

Scott Warren

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2009, 04:11:34 AM »

On one of the honour boards there was a chap, I think his name was Dunn, who won the East of Ieland Amateur something like 13 times over a period of 28 years!

James Boon

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2009, 04:30:55 AM »
Scott,

Thanks for these photos and the others from your trip. It was several years ago that I played there and I hadn't got into the habit of photographing courses, so its good to see some pictures.

I love the run of 3, 4 and 5 at Baltray. Then on the back 9 there are some really great dunes to play between and over. Just great, fun golf! Its the only course I've played in Eire, but it is one that whenever I meet an Irish golfer, they will tell you what a great course it is!

Cheers,

James

2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2009, 08:39:31 AM »

On one of the honour boards there was a chap, I think his name was Dunn, who won the East of Ieland Amateur something like 13 times over a period of 28 years!

Scott,

That was Joe Carr from Sutton. He won the East of Ireland 12 times, the last being in 1969. His son Roddy (also of Sutton) won it once in 1970. Joe also won the British Amateur 3 times, played Walker Cup, etc. and was probably the best Irish amateur player ever.

Dónal.

Scott Warren

« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2009, 08:57:04 AM »
Thanks for clearing that up Donal. That's he bloke. First win was in 1941 from memory. Did he start winning at a freakishly young age, or did he keep winning to a freakishly old age?

Rory Connaughton

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2009, 09:27:33 AM »
Carr won his first East of Ireland at age 19.  His career was pretty remarkable.  He also won 12 West of Ireland championships; 6 Irish Amateur Closed, 4 Irish Am Opens, 3 South of Irelands, 3 British Am's, low Am at the Open Championship twice, Semi Finalist in the US Am, first Irishman to play in the Masters (where he made the cut), 11 Walker Cups (2 as captain, playing and non playing), played and captained multiple Eisenhower Trophy teams and was captain of the R&A.

There is a great story about Carr and Baltray (I believe it is in Jim Finegan's Where Golf is Great):
Carr is playing a casual round and playing poorly by his standards.  A young boy is his caddy.  The boy asked him whether he had ever been to Baltray for the East of Ireland.  When Carr responded that he had played in the East of Ireland a few times in the past, the boy responded, "The standard must have been much lower in your day".

Padraig Dooley

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2009, 10:25:01 AM »
Sean

Padraig:
Was it originally a full 18?  Other than starting at 4 (a fun hole to start with!), how else did it differ?

The start was moved to the present first to accommodate a change in clubhouse. I think the present clubhouse used to be a hotel, not too sure about exact details where the previous one was.

As for changes to the course, there have been some lately, a few new tees added and a bit of work done to the tee shot on 18.

With regards to the East of Ireland Championship, Ken Kearney who posts here has won it a couple of times, including shooting the lights out on a few breezy days as well.

There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.
  - Pablo Picasso

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back