News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jud_T

Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Melvyn Morrow

Re: Now that's what I call a room with a view!
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009, 06:59:20 PM »

Jud

That house is I believe next door to Old Tom's shop,  see the photo below, the white building on the right.

Melvyn

Jud_T

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2009, 07:02:33 PM »
If I only had a spare 4mm quid! 
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2009, 07:04:06 PM »
Jud:

I've got a pretty good view from my room tonight, in the clubhouse at Riviera ... I am looking right at the tenth hole out the window to my right, and the first hole out the window across from my bed!

Jud_T

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2009, 07:10:15 PM »
Tom-

Nice! However that brings back bad memories of the first time I tried to hit a long iron out of a seemingly innocuous lie in that rough!

Bill_McBride

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2009, 07:10:50 PM »
I remember the photo Mark Rowlinson posted of the view from the window of his room at the Creek Club on Long Island - down over those Raynor holes to Long Island Sound.  Beautiful scenery.

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2009, 07:27:03 PM »
Is the view blocked by grandstands during the Open? Or can you watch the finish from the deck?

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2009, 07:29:51 PM »
This isn't George Peper's place is it?

TEPaul

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2009, 07:42:17 PM »
Bill:

Actually that room(s) is not Mark's room; it's MY room! And if you really want to know why I propose that all the trees come out to the right of #8 green (and the tees on #9) as well as all the trees in the cemetary to the left of #16 and behind #18 tee (which the club does not actually own) except that big Oak behind #15 green which is actually the oldest oak tree on LI  it is because of the view from the window of that room! ;)

There is not much in this world across a golf course and beyond that is as breathtaking as the view from that room. You can see all the way across LI Sound to Conn.

TEPaul

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2009, 07:47:25 PM »
I'm gonna put in a bid on that house at TOC discounting the price by at least 1 million pounds on general negotiating principle and then discounting it another 1 million pounds just to redecorate the place!   :o ::) :P :'( :-* :-\ ;)

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2009, 07:51:53 PM »
To answer my own question - no that is not Peper's place.  He bought 9A Gibson Place in 1983 for GBP45,000.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2009, 08:21:16 PM »
Bill:

Actually that room(s) is not Mark's room; it's MY room! And if you really want to know why I propose that all the trees come out to the right of #8 green (and the tees on #9) as well as all the trees in the cemetary to the left of #16 and behind #18 tee (which the club does not actually own) except that big Oak behind #15 green which is actually the oldest oak tree on LI  it is because of the view from the window of that room! ;)

There is not much in this world across a golf course and beyond that is as breathtaking as the view from that room. You can see all the way across LI Sound to Conn.

Maybe some bright person can find and post that photo!

So that's your LI pied a terre?  Quite a ways from NGLA.

Jason McNamara

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2009, 09:14:55 PM »
Must be expecting a Yank buyer, given the house's area is only given in sf. 

Or is that another of those "we're metric, well, except when we aren't" UK quirks?

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2009, 09:30:22 PM »

Matt

The answer to your question is no. Old Tom's shop and flat over, have a clear view of the 1st & 18th during The Open.

Melvyn

Bill Hyde

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2009, 09:32:44 PM »
Let's all go in on it together at 4500/man...we can rent it out when we're not in town!!

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2009, 09:41:20 PM »
A bit off-topic but did you even notice that every bathroom in Scotland seems to have a towel warmer (including the one in photo 8 of the above link).

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2009, 09:47:34 PM »

Wayne

And why not ??? ;) After being in the sea for your morning bath each morning, you need something warm on top of the wee dram.

Melvyn

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2009, 10:16:00 PM »
And why not ??? ;) After being in the sea for your morning bath each morning, you need something warm on top of the wee dram.
It is good to know that you are continuing your ancestor's tradition.  How was the North Sea this morning?

p.s.  Are you sure that Old Tom would have approved of towel warmers - that could be construed as the beginning of a slippery slope that ends with GPS devices on a golf course?

Mike Erdmann

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2009, 10:52:40 PM »
Those of us in Scotland for the Golfweek raters' trip in 2007 enjoyed a nice reception one evening in this flat.  Wonderful views over the 18th green, as one would imagine.  Very nicely appointed inside, but not extravagent.  Interesting that they're selling the property, as the investors' original plans in 2007 were to sell fractional 12 fractional ownerships of 4 weeks a year.  It was going to be two peak weeks, two off-peak weeks, with the weeks rotating yearly.  During the Open Championship, no overnight lodging was permitted, but all of the fractional owners and guests could use the property as a hospitality suite, so to speak.

While you can get a nice view from the upstairs balcony from their website at www.theresidence-standrews.com, you can also see an archived version of their old website (circa 2008 via the Wayback Machine) at http://tinyurl.com/ycadbbm which gives some details on the original fractional ownership plans.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2009, 08:22:50 AM »
Jud:

I've got a pretty good view from my room tonight, in the clubhouse at Riviera ... I am looking right at the tenth hole out the window to my right, and the first hole out the window across from my bed!

The Hogan room does offer a pretty nice view to wake up to.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2009, 08:23:50 AM »

Wayne

Did the Roman have bathhouses and central heating over 2000 years ago?

I think Old Tom would have had his towel kept warm by the open fire during the Winter months.  ;)  They did have open fires in their houses back in the Victorian Age. ;D

Melvyn

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2009, 11:09:32 PM »
Melvyn - I thought the Romans were turned back at Hadrian's wall and never made it to Scotland.  Perhaps it was the lack of conveniences that kept them away.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2009, 05:45:25 AM »

Wayne

The point of mentioning the Romans was to show that things are not as new as perhaps we believe. They possessed not only under floor heating but wall as well.

As for the Romans, they went well past Hadrian’s Wall and built another called the Antonine Wall (see map), but ventured further North into Scotland.

Wonder if they had a round on TOC while they were there? ;)

Melvyn

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back