News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rob Miller

First post - an introduction
« on: January 30, 2010, 11:37:18 PM »
So, after a few years reading and enjoying the website and this discussion, I wanted to come off of the sidelines and humbly contribute from time to time.

First...a brief introduction-

Rob Miller
Location: Split my time between Osaka/Kobe and Shanghai (via Pittsburgh)

So, here's the disclaimer- I'm not an architect, not in the golf industry, not even an outstanding golfer.  I do love the sport and love the history.  At one point, I found the website and reading it has really changed my perspective and given me an appreciation for design.  (Ok, this is the end of my love letter to GCA)

Anyway, I've spent the last 5 years bouncing around Asia and have played quite a bit here.  Looking forward to the conversation and if anyone is ever in the area, happy to host a drink and a round. 

PThomas

Re: First post - an introduction
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 11:39:34 PM »
welcome Rob
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Ron Csigo

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 11:42:03 PM »
Welcome Rob.

Can you tell us about some of the courses you've played in Osaka/Kobe/Shanghai?  Favorites?
Playing and Admiring the Great Golf Courses of the World.

Michael Taylor

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 11:54:06 PM »
Welcome mate.

Rob Miller

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010, 12:29:43 AM »
Ron-

There are somewhere around two dozen courses in and around Shanghai.  Although I believe there is still a moratorium on golf courses in China, new ones are still being built.  I have a friend who wanted to join one of the premier and established courses there and asked to check their registration before joining.  On it, the 36 hole golf course was approved only for a 25 bay driving range.  They built anyway.  This is China.

Basically, a lot of the courses I've played there basically feature the same elements - kitschy giant clubhouse, water designed to be in play on every hole, and long rounds on the weekends.  Shanghai is basically flat and moving earth doesn't seem to be much of a problem, so if you want variation in terrain, you create it. 

That being said, my favorite course there is Shanghai Links. It's a Nicklaus routed 27 hole golf course, but through mismanagement they  only have 18 holes.  The design is good, the course is enjoyable and the greens are the best in the area.  (shanghailinks.com.cn)

Sheshan, the course that hosts the HSBC Champions event every November, is also a good one. 

Outside of Shanghai, Spring City Resort in Kunming is very good.  The mountain setting is outstanding.

http://www.springcityresort.com/home.aspx

Golf started in Japan here in the Kansai area- Kobe Country Club, Naruo and Hirono are all in the vicinity.  There are a lot of decent courses in the area.  Outside of the ones above Golden Valley is probably my favorite.

Recently, I've been playing quite a bit in Vietnam.  Lots of potential there and some amazing dunes sites north of Saigon.  A bit more remote for most than Bandon, OR or Mullen, NE but I'm hoping they get discovered and some interesting courses get built. 

Anyway, happy to be a part of GCA.  Thanks for the welcome.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2010, 05:46:42 AM »
Welcome Rob

Have you played any of the courses at Mission Hills ? If so - thoughts on them ?

Ever been to Australia ? Not too far to come "down under" in 2011 for the GCA gig ?

Rob Miller

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2010, 07:48:09 AM »
Kevin,

Thanks for the welcome.

Have been 'down under' a few times, but never for golf.  Hopefully, I'll be able to remedy that sometime soon.

As far as Mission Hills, I lived in Hong Kong for about a year and have had quite a few opportunities to cross the border and play. However,  most who go basically come away awed by the size, but unimpressed with the courses.  Quite a few good and much more competitively priced courses are just a ferry ride away.  For example, had a free weekend a few weeks ago in Hong Kong and did a weekend trip to Nansha (90 minute ferry).  Two 3 1/2 hour rounds (which is very rare) on decent courses and an overnight all in for around USD$250.  The same weekend in Mission Hills is easily over USD$1000.  I think prestige is a bigger factor than course quality with the 216 holes or however many they have there.  I have heard that the caddie lineup in the morning (for all 12 courses) is something that's a must see, but to go just for the phallic 'largest golf course in the world' designation is not really justification for the trip.  Could be wrong though...

Tim Leahy

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2010, 01:51:20 PM »
Welcome! Thanks for the link to Spring City, I had never heard of it, but there are some spectacular holes. Keep us up to date on the new Asian GCA developments.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Michael Huber

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2010, 02:15:17 PM »
Rob,

Are you originally from Pittsburgh?

If so, where did you play during your time there?

PCCraig

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2010, 04:33:47 PM »
Welcome Rob!!
H.P.S.

Rob Miller

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2010, 07:40:08 PM »
Michael,

Yep, Pittsburgh native.  Love that city.

I grew up fondly playing a pasture called Carradam, unfortunately it did not survive the latest economic downturn.  Unfortunate such a local accessible course closed to build houses that people in the area can't afford and don't want.   

Haven't played Fox Chapel or Bedford Springs yet, but favorites are Birdsfoot and Latrobe.  Outside of Pittsburgh, in Mercersburg, PA there's a humble little track called Whitetail that for me is close to heaven. 

I do get back once or twice a year, so if anyone has any recommendations around the burgh would love to hear them. 

Bill_McBride

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2010, 08:52:02 PM »
Rob, how's your Chinese?   ??? ;D

There are quite a few architects who are interested in working there who I'll bet would love to have a Chinese-speaking Westerner to call for assistance!

John Mayhugh

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2010, 09:18:52 PM »
Rob Miller
Location: Split my time between Osaka/Kobe and Shanghai (via Pittsburgh)

Anyway, I've spent the last 5 years bouncing around Asia and have played quite a bit here.  Looking forward to the conversation and if anyone is ever in the area, happy to host a drink and a round. 

In which area?

I go to Akashi a couple of times a year for business and generally stay in Kobe.  How much of your time is in Japan?  I'll message you the next time I'm headed that way.

Kevin Jackson

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2011, 12:51:18 PM »
I just joined the site a couple days ago after reading and following along for a couple years.  Now that I feel I might have an original thought on GCA from time to time, I decided I'd join.

For the introduction:

Kevin Jackson
Age 21
From Cincinnati, OH but go to school in New Orleans, LA
I am a building architecture student and I don't think my professors know I study just as much golf architecture as buildings.  I hope to try and get into the GCA business after graduation.  I am relatively new (about 4-5 years) to the study of GCA.  What opened my eyes was when I had the opportunity to caddie for a friend in a US AM qualifier at the Camargo Club.  To this day I have only seen the course that one day, but I remember every hole and shot we played that day.  While I am at school in New Orleans I am a caddie at Metairie Country Club, a Seth Raynor design (yes, I did my homework when I came down here to figure out where I wanted to caddie).  From a playing standpoint, I have never belonged to a club or played enough to keep a handicap but I am around a 12-15.  I have not played very many courses that are typically discussed on this forum, but my highlights are Kiawah Ocean Course (summer of '10), Port Royal (Bermuda), and lots of public courses in the Cincinnati area.  Like many of you, I am a walk and carry guy. Nothing ticks me off more than being a forecaddie and chasing after carts all day in the beautiful NOLA spring weather.

I look forward to joining in on conversations and hopefully traveling a bit over the next couple years to play some new courses and expanding my horizons on GCA.

Kevin Jackson

George Pazin

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2011, 01:03:00 PM »
Welcome, Kevin. Having spent some time in New York - and a lot less in New Orleans - I can honestly say New Orleans is much more the city that never sleeps... Best of luck to you in your studies and career pursuits.

-----

I had the good fortune of joining Rob Miller for dinner about a year ago when he was back in the Burgh, it was a lot of fun. If anyone has the chance of joining Rob for a round (of golf or beer), don't pass it up.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Paul Jones

« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2011, 08:37:49 PM »
Welcome Rob, you can post your information to this link... http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,12410.455/
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Paul Jones

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2011, 08:40:16 PM »
I just joined the site a couple days ago after reading and following along for a couple years.  Now that I feel I might have an original thought on GCA from time to time, I decided I'd join.

For the introduction:

Kevin Jackson
Age 21
From Cincinnati, OH but go to school in New Orleans, LA
I am a building architecture student and I don't think my professors know I study just as much golf architecture as buildings.  I hope to try and get into the GCA business after graduation.  I am relatively new (about 4-5 years) to the study of GCA.  What opened my eyes was when I had the opportunity to caddie for a friend in a US AM qualifier at the Camargo Club.  To this day I have only seen the course that one day, but I remember every hole and shot we played that day.  While I am at school in New Orleans I am a caddie at Metairie Country Club, a Seth Raynor design (yes, I did my homework when I came down here to figure out where I wanted to caddie).  From a playing standpoint, I have never belonged to a club or played enough to keep a handicap but I am around a 12-15.  I have not played very many courses that are typically discussed on this forum, but my highlights are Kiawah Ocean Course (summer of '10), Port Royal (Bermuda), and lots of public courses in the Cincinnati area.  Like many of you, I am a walk and carry guy. Nothing ticks me off more than being a forecaddie and chasing after carts all day in the beautiful NOLA spring weather.

I look forward to joining in on conversations and hopefully traveling a bit over the next couple years to play some new courses and expanding my horizons on GCA.

Kevin Jackson

Welcome to Louisiana, I am in New Orleans every other week for work.  Let me know if you ever have time for a little golf.

Also, give Arata a shout too...

Paul
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Bill Brightly

Re: First post - an introduction New
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2011, 04:15:11 PM »
OK Rob, since you wanted this to be an introduction :)

Here is Rob in the Road Hole bunker at Old Macdonald

2nd attempt succeeds!

Nice high driver finish!

« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 04:21:24 PM by Bill Brightly »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back