News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Shane Wright

Milwaukee area Friday and Saturday
« on: September 08, 2009, 02:54:30 PM »
I am going to be in the Milwaukee area Friday and Saturday.  Unfortunately, I won't have time to get up to Lawsonia, have played Erin Hills several times and don't have access to(nor am I looking for it) the Milwaukee private clubs. 

2 questions:

1. Public course recommendations (besides Blackwolf and Whistling Straits - Have played the Irish and not interested in paying $430 for the Straits without it being tied into an actual golf trip).

2. Anyone interested in joining me somewhere?

I know it is last minute, but I just got a hall pass from my wife.  Thanks in advance for your responses.

Shane

PThomas

Re: Milwaukee area Friday and Saturday
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 02:59:04 PM »
Brown Deer
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Joel Zuckerman

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 03:40:57 PM »
Shane,

PM me if you can...I have a good idea for you---thanks!

Shane Wright

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 10:06:51 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion Paul.

Brown Deer

PCCraig

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009, 08:15:54 AM »
+1 on Brown Deer. It's a pretty good golf course that gets somewhat limited play during the week and it's not too expensive.
H.P.S.

Rob_Waldron

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2009, 09:28:33 AM »
Rick Jacobson designed The Club at Strawberry Creek in Kenosha just a short drive south. Trying to be private but local support is making it difficult, Definitely worth playing.

http://www.strawberrycreekclub.com/index.php

Mike McGuire

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009, 12:39:42 PM »
Played Erin Hills yesterday. Greens are perfect and you get to view the changes. Its playing very firm and fast. The out of play areas are cut down so there is a lot of room to play. Very much fun as the ball runs forever.

I tried to get on Strawbeery creek a month ago and the pro shop said its private.

Bryan Bergner

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2009, 01:19:31 PM »
Morningstar Golfers Club ( 25 min.  southwest of downtown Milwaukee) is a good bet.  I have not played there in a while but I always enjoyed the place. 

Like Strawberry Creek, it's a Rick Jacobsen design about 9 or 10 yrs old

Shane Wright

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2009, 03:17:47 PM »
Pat/Paul - thanks for the suggestions on Brown Deer.  This may still be a possibility for the weekend depending on a couple of other suggestions/ideas.

Rob/Bryan - Strawberry looks like a really fun course.  Thanks for the link....If I had more time this weekend, I would try it.

Mike - great to hear the conditions are improving at Erin Hills.  I know it gets mixed reviews and there has been a lot of discussion on the changes.  I have not played since the changes and am really glad to hear your reaction.  I had a lot of playing it a couple of years ago.  I'm sure the owner is kicking himself for not making the changes during the initial construction but I think the new product should be much better. 

Thanks to all for your suggestions.

Shane

Phil McDade

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2009, 04:17:37 PM »
Shane:

A few more:

-- Naga-Waukee is a muni, run by the Waukesha Co. Parks Dept., right off of I-94 straight west of Milwaukee in Pewaukee, a Lawrence Packard design from the 1960s. Pretty good, some solid holes and nice views of nearby lakes, tree-lined so pretty in the fall, can get busy esp. on weekends, good value as less than $40 to play.

-- A place well below the radar that's close by in the western suburbs -- New Berlin Hills -- dates all the way back to 1907 but with some modifications over the years. A few dull holes but some really good ones, as well -- funky greens that are really grainy (putts breaking uphill...). Used as a qualifier when the old GMO now played at Brown Deer was played at Tuckaway. Also less than $40.

-- Further out in the western suburbs, south of Oconomowoc, is Kettle Moraine GC, self-designed and built by the guy who used to own the place, built among some kettles and glacial ponds and wetlands, some routine holes but some tough ones as well. 30 minutes from downtown, but only 10 minutes south of I-94 on Hwy 67.

-- Half the population of Racine, south of Milwaukee, seemingly learned to play at Johnson Park, a classic muni from the 1930s with fast and sloped greens; it can get really busy esp. on weekends, but a muni that's actually serious about pace of play -- it's one of those places with an established golf crowd that might take a 7-iron to your knees if you canoodle over a putt too long.

Jason McNamara

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2009, 06:58:13 PM »
Phil, a buddy of mine lives right by Chenequa.  If I get an offer there, do I accept and bring a bottle of wine, accept and buy him a beer, or feign injury?

Jason

Phil McDade

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2009, 07:50:26 PM »
Phil, a buddy of mine lives right by Chenequa.  If I get an offer there, do I accept and bring a bottle of wine, accept and buy him a beer, or feign injury?

Jason

Jason:

??

Phil

Jason McNamara

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2009, 09:14:38 PM »
Sorry to be oblique, Phil.  Just wondering what the course at Chenequa CC was like, since you mentioned Waukesha and Oconomowoc.  I realize the original request was for publics, but I think that has been asked and answered.

Thanks.

Mike McGuire

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2009, 10:16:22 PM »
Chenequa is worth a play. THe old nine has some cool holes and the terrain is really good throughout. THe greens are usually outstanding running true and 10.5 +.

The view of Beaver Lake looking down from the from the deck is worth the price of admission. Simply spectacular.

Wherever you go remember to call about aeration. Lots of 1/2 " holes being pulled out of the greens this time of year.

edit: Bring a bottle of good wine and try to have lunch/dinner on the deck. Weather in WI has been perfect the last couple weeks.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 10:40:46 PM by Mike McGuire »

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2009, 10:20:23 PM »

Jason

Jason,

I played 36 at Chenequa in a USGA qualifier a few years ago and I can't remember a single hole.  Take that for what it's worth.

Phil McDade

« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2009, 10:45:13 PM »
Sorry to be oblique, Phil.  Just wondering what the course at Chenequa CC was like, since you mentioned Waukesha and Oconomowoc.  I realize the original request was for publics, but I think that has been asked and answered.

Thanks.

Jason:

Never played it (or, honestly, heard of it :o). My main interest in Oconomowoc is to see how much Ross is left in one of the only two Ross courses in Wisconsin at Oconomowoc CC.

Jason McNamara

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2009, 11:49:04 PM »
Thanks guys.  Even if not a stunner on golf alone, you can still do a -lot- worse than Beaver Lake in the summer.  (My buddy grew up on the lake.)  Blueberry shakes at the Kiltie...  perfect.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back