News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Bowline

True International team events that include the entire world.
« on: September 10, 2009, 04:22:33 AM »
Is it time for golf’s governing bodies to get together and create non-exclusive international team events?

The more I observe team events like the Ryder Cup, President's Cup, and Solheim Cup, the more I miss outstanding players who are not included. Golf has finally become so very international in scope and excellence and there are outstanding players from many different countries. In fact, that is one reason the President’s Cup was created (yes, and to make money from TV).

To have these team events be narrow in their definition of teams (for example, the Solheim Cup not designed to include the best 20 or 30 Sims/Kims/Ohs from S. Korea) can leave some of the best players out in the cold just watching.

The USA no longer has world dominance, and the USA should no longer be the centerpiece of the team events: USA vs. Europe, USA vs. “the rest of the world”, etc. are not as relevant as they used to be. For example, wouldn’t the Europeans like to play the “Rest of World” team? Aside, the “Rest of World” team will definitely need a new team name – that one is a mouthful…..

What about a men’s event involving the three teams from the Ryder/President’s Cups (North America, Europe, “Rest of World”) in a round robin format? And then the same for the ladies, too.

Yes, there would be problems designing and implementing the format, but isn’t it time to start addressing these problems?

Scott Warren

Re: True International team events that include the entire world.
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 04:29:00 AM »
But such an event would be hard to arrange and get player commitment for.

Good concept, but better in my view to make Ryder and Presidents cups tri-ennial and create a new event played between Europe and ROW that is also tri-ennial.

Philippe Binette

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 08:23:06 AM »
I would go:

USA  vs  Europe one year (2010)
The winner of USA - Europe  vs  The rest of the world the next (2011)
The winner of 2011 against the loser of 2010 and so on.

which means that if you keep winning, you keep playing the matches every year

Kalen Braley

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2009, 09:53:34 AM »
I would go:

USA  vs  Europe one year (2010)
The winner of USA - Europe  vs  The rest of the world the next (2011)
The winner of 2011 against the loser of 2010 and so on.

which means that if you keep winning, you keep playing the matches every year

I'll 2nd this, but doubt it ever happens because the PGA likes its $$$$ too much to implement a logical and good idea.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2009, 10:21:55 AM »
I think it is just fine...

To be honest, since they stopped playing on good courses and bowed to the power of the dollar, i could quite happily do without either of the existing events...

Mike Bowline

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2009, 10:56:03 AM »
I think it is just fine...

To be honest, since they stopped playing on good courses and bowed to the power of the dollar, i could quite happily do without either of the existing events...

However, the drama at the Solheim Cup was excellent, despite the absence of the South Koreans.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back