News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom_Doak

Congrats to the Confidential Guide Shipping Department
« on: October 20, 2015, 12:53:39 PM »

One of the problems of being a (very) small publisher is that I'm not staffed up to handle big spikes in the volume of orders.  When we're just shipping a few books a day, it's no problem, but when we've got 1500 books to get out in a couple of weeks, I need help.

Last year a friend had the bright idea of enlisting the local girls' high school golf team to package the books for shipping, as a fundraiser for the team.  They enjoyed it more than a bake sale, so they're working on it again this year, and I've been happy to support them.  It's a nice group of young women and they do a great job.

Apparently, they can also play golf.  Last week they took the week off to get ready for the state tournament ... and they went downstate and WON the state tournament!

For those who have expressed consternation at not getting your books as quickly as you'd like, we apologize.  We'll be back to shipping orders on Thursday.

John Kavanaugh

Re: Congrats to the Confidential Guide Shipping Department
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2015, 01:00:31 PM »
When I read the title of this thread I thought they were given health insurance. A State Title, even better!!!

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2015, 01:13:53 PM »
"Young ladies - I do believe you have been reading my books! Now understand: I admire your initiative and your sensible good taste. But, I'd be a poor role model indeed if I didn't at least point out, with some consternation, that you've been studying when instead you were being paid to work! Well, well, enough said about that. And, between you and me, my hearty congratulations to you. Now, carry on please - there are a thousand fine young men, who perhaps one day some of you will be fortunate enough to meet, and marry, who are eagerly awaiting the same pleasure and privilege of reading my latest tome -- a mere trifle, modesty would say -- that you young ladies seem to take for granted."
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 01:23:45 PM by PPallotta »

MCirba

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2015, 01:18:36 PM »
Tom,

Please let the young ladies know that mine arrived perfectly yesterday and that I'm bringing it to Scotland with me.  Please convey my thanks and congratulations on their achievements.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Howard Riefs

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Ross Harmon

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2015, 04:11:07 PM »
Outstanding! Congrats to the girls and good thinking to the Renaissance team! My friends and I used to do that type of work in high school and we loved it.

Paul Gray

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2015, 06:37:13 PM »
On another thread the other day I enquired about my order via my good lady, Natalie Willcocks. I was wondering about the possibility of getting your scratch put on said item but I'll happily settle for a scribble from one of the young ladies! It's a lovely story. Good on you.
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Steve Green

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2015, 11:26:16 PM »
Nicely done Tom.  Looking forward to the arrival of #2. 
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
Bertrand Russell

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2015, 01:13:29 AM »
Ladies, way to go. A memory for a lifetime.
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back