News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

Re: The hardest set of greens I have every seen: Crystal Downs
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2009, 06:27:38 PM »
I played CD earlier this summer for the first time, and was absolutely amazed at the greens.  Works of art!  I played, what we all thought including a very very good playing member, an all-world bunker shot on #11 that ended up rolling completely off the front of the green.  The member said, that I played a "9" bunker shot… but needed it to be a "10".  Said I had been "Crystallized"… again. 

Brad Swanson

« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2009, 06:37:11 PM »
Pardon the naive question, but is there a caddy program at Crystal Downs?  Might be the smart way to go for a first timer trying avoid 40+ putts (if caddies are available).

Carl Rogers

« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2009, 08:16:04 PM »
Tom, you have not busted me yet this week .... but let me make the observation that I see a lot of Riverfont in these green complexes.  Curving broad slopes into asymetrical elongated demi domes .. all rather hard to describe.  take any 12 ffoot put , move 4 feet one way and move 4 feet the other and the results are often vastly different putts.

Part of the reason why I have encouraged many of you to take the trip to Suffolk, VA.

David Neveux

« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2009, 09:47:39 PM »
They are only benign looking your first time around, after that you know what kind of carnage you're in for. 

Matt Harrison

« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2009, 09:59:20 PM »
Two comments on Crystal Downs and the greens:

What I found most diffiicult about the greens is that on some of the holes that slope not just from back to front, but also from 1 side to another, it is difficult from the fairway (or the tee) to decipher where to place your approach to keep it below the hole.  Thus, my last round there this summer, included a couple bogeys where I did not ask the member in detail where to hit it, and ended up 20 feet from the hole but with a very difficult 2 putt.  I was pleased with my 75, but felt like I hit a couple good shots that were clearly not good shots in the end.

However, once I got on the greens, I did feel like I could read them most of the time.  Interestingly, on most of the greens, the further I was from the hole, the better sense I had of the overall break.  But on certain holes, from 15 feet and in, I had to work very hard to get a true read.

A great golf course, with great greens, as this group is well aware!

Ken Fry

« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2009, 10:28:54 PM »
I'll never forget my first round at Crystal Downs for many reasons, but I distinctly remember getting to the 13th hole and green.  The tee shot was another fun "shape your tee shot to fit me" kind of drive.  The green blow me away.  After seeing that green for the first time, all I could think was "wow, I didn't know you were, like, allowed to do that!"  The front plateau which then swoops off to the remainder of the green stunned me.  I'd never seen a green like that before and my eyes were finally opened.

The times I've played since have provided similar experiences on different holes.  It's just that kind of course.

Ken

Carl Rogers

« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2009, 07:16:37 AM »
Riverfront greens and their surrounds have many of the same playing characteristics as related on this thread.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 07:47:37 PM by Carl Rogers »

Rick Sides

« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2009, 01:51:00 PM »
Chip,
Just curious, what did you end up shooting at Crystal Downs :) and what is your handicap?

Matt MacIver

« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2009, 09:04:00 PM »
Matt MacIver,
If you are looking in, this is what I'm talking about. This photo is of the back right portion of five green. It paints a better picture of what I was trying to articulate earlier.

Wyatt - yes this picture definitely shows some serious break, generally in-flow with the surroundings.  Wild greens are about my favorite aspect of a golf course, so these discussions have really piqued my interest. 

john_stiles

« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2009, 11:01:07 PM »

Crystal Downs has an excellent caddy program,  and is part of WGA/Chick Evans scholarship program.

All of the young men and women are hard working, and know the course and greens.

Brian Cenci

« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2009, 11:30:34 PM »
Adam-

Great score there!  You obvisouly are a fantastic putter and reader of greens/conditions.

Actually, I rarely played for the greens if I was out side 200 yards. And if I was outside, I played my 185 iron which bounced and rolled on that fabulous turf to within a reasonably close distance to the putting surface.

Case in point, 1st hole. I was 210 to the front left pin. I played first and hit the low running 185 shot that ended up below the hole at the very front corner of the green. My host, hit the green pin high right, and was just beside himself in grief as he walked up to the green. One of the other players in the group was a 76 year old semi retired Doc who shot 73, putting lights out side saddle.

Watching the other balls interface with gravity was key in my success.

73...side saddle putter...Dr. Roy I assume? 

Adam Clayman

« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2009, 07:55:25 AM »
Yes of course it was Roy. We immediately made a connection in the pro shop before we even knew we were golfing together. We had similar warm up routines. Finding those comfy chairs near the windows. ;).  We had a great time and if I'd have parred the 15th he would've wanted my autograph. Sadly I missed by that much.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back