News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Cliff Hamm

Connecticut National - Mark Mungeam w pics
« on: July 31, 2009, 04:48:08 PM »
Connecticut National is a renovation of the old Putnam Golf Course in Connecticut.  To call it a renovation though is an injustice.  It is in essence a completely new course.  I played Putnam about 15 years ago and was not memorable to say the least.  In viewing diagrams in the clubhouse it appears that Mungeam actually used the same playing corridors and many greens but added everything else - humps and bumps, interest to the greens, hazards, fescue, etc.

The overall result is exactly what public golf should be.  A very enjoyable layout at a decent price.  Let me change that it is the best bargain in New England by far.  Current rates are $29 if over 50 for greens fees, cart and lunch.  $36 if under 50. That is not a typo.  The owner intends to keep fees low to offer quality, affordable golf.  He will, however, be raising fees from this ridiculously low point.

As to the course, generally wide fairways, although not monstrous.  Greens do not have much interior contour but much slope, back to front and side to side. They are typically of moderate size. Mounds are used to divide fairways and to my eye are not over done.  

The course currently plays to 6169 with a course rating of 70.1 and slope of 124 playing to a par of 71 (5 par 3's, 3 on the front).  It is still a bit of a work in progress, but in quite good shape considering it is new and the horrible wet weather we have had.  Drainage is also quite good.  Two par 3's are still being built although the temporary holes are quite playable.  There are back tees on about 1/2 of the holes and eventually will stretch to 6900 yards when done.

I will not do a complete course tour but some pictures to give a feel:

The second is an excellent 353 yard, dog leg right par 4.  Fairway is essentially blind from the tee.  

Shot in and fall off if you miss left:

The third a 396 yarder, cape hole.  This green is the toughest on the course being incredibly quick back to front.  The green is also shallow.

A couple other shots from the front:

The 8th - clearly the most controversial hole on the course.  320 yards severely down hill so doesn't play at all like the distance.  A pond to the right of the green is in play on your tee shot.  If coming in from the left the green is lightning and if hit a bit hard will find the water.  Do you go for it or lay up?  Easy par if you lay up and likely the smart play.  A bit gimmicky but still fun:

Having played CN twice I prefer the front.  The back has many parallel fairways  and a more open feel. The trees are not in play on the front and I simply enjoy the solitude of more isolated fairways.  A matter of preference.  

Anyway a few shots of the back:

402 yard 10th:

323 yard 13th:

Shot in on 360 dog leg right 17th:

521 yard par 5 18th:

Overall, a very pleasant round of golf.  The par 3's  are a bit weak, but as noted two are being built.  This is not top 100 golf.  It is what public golf should be.  If you live within an hour I highly recommend it.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 07:24:02 PM by Cliff Hamm »

Jaeger Kovich

Re: Connecticut National - Mark Mungeam w pics
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 06:24:00 PM »
Cliff... Thanks for sharing. I'm happy to see Mark getting some props! I owe a lot to Mark and his #2, Tim, for my introduction into the world of golf course architecture spending the spring of '08 interning for Mark up in Massachusetts. They let me work on just about everything and even submit my own ideas for real projects, one of which they built. I'm certain I worked on some of the plans for Putnam/Con National, and believe I even went on site with Mark there once. The guys (Mark and Tim) are great guys, and they do great work keeping the Cornish school alive!

ChipRoyce

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 06:40:46 PM »
That cape hole looks really nice. Reminds me a lot of the 3rd(?) @ Myopia Hunt

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 08:18:27 PM »
Cliff--

Thanks for the write-up.  I am always thrilled when a new golf course in CT opens up.  Did they tell you when the work would be completely done?

Thanks.

--Tim

P.S. Have you played Mungeam's Oxford Greens course in Oxford?  I played it once and found the fact that 14 or 15 of the 18 holes sloped to the left a bit tedious.  The par 3s are quite good, though, IMO.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Tim Gerrish

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009, 02:21:57 PM »
Jeager,  You should remember being there....  So the lessons continue my young padawan! javascript:void(0);

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back