News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Alan Gard

Outer Banks Suggestions
« on: July 26, 2009, 04:08:36 PM »
We're heading to the Outer Banks for a family vacation in mid-August staying in a town called Duck.  Looks like there will be time for one or two golf outings.  I'm not at all familiar with the area and thus have no idea where to play.  Any courses y'all would recommend that are in the general vicinity?  Thank you for any and all help!

John Moore II

Re: Outer Banks Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 04:13:41 PM »
Well, I have heard Nags Head Links, a bit south of Duck is a real good place to play, its in the range of 6100 yards long, but the wind howls, espcially in the afternoon. Currituck Club is more north up the banks, Rees Jones work, and had been ranked in the top 20 of the state up until a few years ago. Kilmarlic Club off the banks on Hwy 158 seems to be a good place to play; they've hosted the NC Open twice. And certainly if you wanted to make the trek up to the Norfolk/Newport News area, there are any number of places to play.

Dale_McCallon

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, 04:48:32 PM »
Alan,

My family has gone to OBX several times, but unfortunately it is not for the golf.  Really, nothing that spectacular but I do think that Currituck is the best on the actual island by far.   If you're staying in Duck your only about 5-10 minutes from the course.  If you have some time to travel a bit, Kilmarlic was a pretty good course as well.  I really did not like Nags Head golf links (the homes are really close to the course) and I had a bad experience with the staff at Sea Scape which leads me to never recommend the place.

Tourist recommendation;  go the the shopping area in Corolla called TimBuckTu and go directly to the ice cream shop; repeat every day of trip.

Hope you have a good time.

Dale

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2009, 10:55:27 PM »
Golf in the Outer Banks is shockingly limited.  The only decent course, mentioned above, is so overpriced it's not worth it.

My brother and I drove 15 miles inland to play an awful course for $80.  We had a 7:46 tee time.  On arrival, we met twelve other players, all waiting on the first hole with a 7:46 tee time.  By the time we hit, there were twelve carts waiting.

Not good.

WW

bbarkley

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 12:00:36 AM »
My family has been going to Corolla for 7 years now.  We are a family of golfers, and over the years have reduced the amt. of golf we play on the trip.   I played two of the courses mentioned  in mid-June and feel they are each good for their own reasons.  Currituck Club is only a few miles north of Duck.  It was the most expensive of the courses, being that is the only one on the north side of the Island.  A fun layout with a few challenging holes.  The back nine plays along the sound and is a wonderful setting for golf during the late hrs. of the day.  There is a chance to see a variety of wildlife.  Nags Head is a longer drive from Duck.  The course was in much better condition than Currituck.  When the wind is howling, it becomes a pretty difficult course.  The homes are extremely close on some holes.  A couple quirky holes, but all in all another decent course to play. 

- I do highly recommend renting a jeep and driving up to North Beach. 

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2009, 05:41:55 AM »
Duck Woods CC near the entrance to the OBX used to allow public play in the afternoon. Parkland style, it is in the good not great category. Traffic can get nasty, I would play Currituck and maybe Nags Head or DWCC once each and focus in on the beach.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 05:46:38 AM by Mike Sweeney »

David Federman

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2009, 09:12:07 AM »
I have been going to OBX for over 30 years - have played at Duck Woods - fun course, lots of water; Seascape - tale of two  nines - front is out in the open among the houses - back is in the woods - wouldn't recommend; since we stay down on Hatteras Island, Nagshead is the most convenient for us and we get there once  a vacation. It is always in great shape; it is right on the water and the howling Hatteras winds make up for the short course.  Pet peeve - no rough to speak of - if you are a few yards off the fairway, you are  either in a yard or it's lost in sand and heavy vegetation.

I have heard very good things about Currituck, but it is too far for us to go from where we stay. It is very convenient to Duck, however.  For your two outings I would go for Nagshead and Currituck.

Play early in day - it gets blistering hot by noon, when you want to be finishing up your round!

John Moore II

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2009, 10:38:56 AM »
I looked this up last night and its certainly something to bear in mind. Currituck Club is charging $160 per round now and Nags Head is up to $120. Thats mighty expensive to play golf, at least for me.

And David F. is correct, it does get hotter, but it also gets more windy as it gets later in the day; so thats something to think about as well. Of course the rates go down later in the day.

Craig Disher

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2009, 07:32:18 PM »
Innsbrook Golf & Boat Club. Best golf in the area although it's a bit of a drive from Duck.

http://www.innsbrookgolfandboat.com/index.php

Alan Gard

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2009, 03:39:37 PM »
Thank you all for your thoughtful recommendations!

And Dale, you can bet I'll be visiting the TimBuckTu ice cream parlor!

Dale_McCallon

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2009, 04:51:16 PM »
Name of the place is Big Bucks Homemade Ice Cream.  Wish I was there right now, but Mickey Mouse took all my money this year.

Have a great time.

Bill Gayne

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2009, 09:34:51 PM »
My wife, two sisters, my mother and all of their kids were in the Outer Banks, Ocracoke, last weekend. The fishing was good for the kids. Drum in the channels. I went to Ireland and the golf was great. I suggest you might want to do the same.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2009, 11:06:21 PM »
I don't know what they are charging at Duck Woods these days, but doubt it's as much as the others. And it's fun to play.

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2009, 11:26:21 PM »
Growing up in Eastern North Carolina and now living in DC and continuing to go to the Outer Banks for vacations I suggest you take your fishing rod and beer coozie instead.  Enjoy the fabulous beaches with your family.  Play golf somewhere else.

With that said, here is a picture of what could be there:

Brett Waters

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2009, 11:29:52 PM »
I don't know what they are charging at Duck Woods these days, but doubt it's as much as the others. And it's fun to play.

Last I had heard, it was $100, but that has been a couple years.

Tom MacWood

« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2009, 07:00:28 AM »
There was a time when Sea Scape was the best option by far. Before the condos were built and before all the homes were built it was a raw natural course through the dunes. Half the holes tree lined through the dunes and the other half totally open to the breezes from the ocean. The fairways were either islands of grass or strips of grass surrounded by sandy ground - with the par-3s being the only exceptions. You were either on fairway or the dunes. Although little known it was one of America's unique courses. Over the years the routing has been altered, the condos and houses have taken over and its more conventional course with wall to wall grass. I wouldn't recommend it today.

Rich Brittingham

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2009, 10:15:40 AM »
Played Nags Head Golf Links last Fall in 30-40 mph winds and it was an absolute blast.  It was off season so rates were low and course was empty which helps.  But the wind was a ton of fun.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back