News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John_Conley

Re: I'm going to have a drink!
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2009, 10:10:19 PM »
Watson went behind the green on 18 and my son and I were assessing his chances.  Right before he hit it I said, "he made one of these once!" and retold the story of his chip in on 17 at Pebble. 

I know he was thinking he couldn't mishit the putter, but there's no way he pulls that club 30 years ago.  He could have chipped a little SW up around the hole.  He may have even holed it.

No doubt the shot he wants over was the approach from the fairway, but he could have won with a mulligan on any of the final three.  They were all just bad enough to mean bogey.

Will MacEwen

« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2009, 10:23:39 PM »
John - I too was expecting a wedge, and thought back to Pebble in 1982.  When I saw the putter, I felt like Watson had lost his nerve and I had a bad feeling.  It seemed like the "old guy" club pull.

Gib,  I think yesterday may have been the cruelest finish to a sporting event I have ever seen.  I'm not even a huge Watson fan, but I think the only word for what I felt was grief.  I mourned what could, and should, have been.

Kenny Baer

« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2009, 10:33:12 PM »
A great golf tournament; today I can't stop thinking what if..... :(

I thought Watson outplayed everybody on the golf course from tee to green; he didn't even come close to choking on the last 4 holes until his 3rd shot (putt) onto 18.  He played 15 perfectly, 16 perfectly, 17 perfectly; and his first 2 shots on 18 were pure.  I thought Cink had thrown the tournament away; he gags on 16 (3 putt) 17 perfect drive then can't get up and down from the bunker.  I thought his birdie on 18 was all for not.  Watson's 2nd shot on 18 was literally 1 foot to far; so close yet so far.  Absolutely gut wrenching.  I am seriously sad; the ending never ends up how I want it to.  I am a huge Mickelson fan so the first 2 majors of the year devastated me and then yesterday I was pulling for Tom the same way I pull for the UGA football team.  It was so close he could taste it, watching him remember what it was like to perform under pressure and actually pull it off was inspiring.

I think your right, 20-30 yrs ago there is no way he is putting the ball on 18, but he had been doing that the whole tournament.  He putted the ball on 17 from the first cut and rolled it stone dead.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2009, 10:39:23 PM »
My golf towel flies at half-mast. The ending - even though Cink is a terrific guy - ruined my day. I am still discouraged . . . . .

Join me in being encouraged just by his being there at the end!  That bogey could have happened to anybody, he hit two very good shots.

Kenny Baer

« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2009, 09:14:01 PM »
1 foot away from the greatest achievment in golf history.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back