News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy Williamsen

Light summer reading
« on: July 16, 2009, 12:00:30 AM »
Summer is a good time for me to do some light reading.  To date I have read one pretty good book, one very good book, and one exceptional book.
Sir Walter: Walter Hagen and the Invention of Professional Golf
[/b] is pretty good.  I was disappointed in the prose.  But I did come away with a profound respect for Hagen the golfer but saddened by his personal life.  I had always heard stories about his partying but this book describes other personal shortcomings as well.  My belief that his five Western Open wins should be counted as "Majors" was reinforced.  The Western Open was certainly more important than the first few Masters.  If you ask players of his era, they all considered it a major tournament.

Byron Nelson: The Most Remarkable Year in the History of Golf[/i] was a very good book.  I had always like BN and had previously read his autobiography.  He was an exceptional golfer who, like Jones, retired while he was still at the top of his game.  His 11 wins in a row and 18 wins overall are records that will stand for a long time.  Unlike Hagen this book reinforced my opinion of Nelson as an exceptional person.

The book I fell in love with was The Soul Of Baseball:A Road Trip through Buck O'Neil's America.  Buck O'neil was a player/manager in the old Negro Leagues and played with the likes of Josh Gibson and Satchel Paige.  The book is as much about the Negro leagues as it is about the character of this extraordinary man.  I had seen him on Ken Burn's documentary Baseball and was captivated by his gentle demeanor.  When asked if he felt bitter aabout not being able to play in the majors, his refrain was, "Don't feel sorry for me.  I played with the giants of the game.  They just happened to be black players.  After the game I would go hear Duke Ellington and Count Basie.  I knew them personally." He would go on.  Another asked him if he hated the white establishment who kept black players out of baseball until 1947.  His reply will always stay with me, "Hatred will steal your heart."  You don't have to like baseball to read this book.  When you finish it you will be a better person.

Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Jason Topp

Re: Light summer reading
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 06:56:40 AM »
I recently enjoyed Golfer's Gold by Tony Lema.  Written as his star was on the rise a couple of years before his death

George Pazin

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 09:37:30 AM »
I wonder why no one has written a book about Jack's magical Sunday in '86.

Best book I've read recently was Born to Run, a non-fiction book about long distance running and racing with a side focus on an Indian tribe in Mexico. The chapter on evolutionary biology alone was worth the price of the book. I'm not a runner, so you needn't be to enjoy the book.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 09:45:03 AM »
Tommy - not to sidetrack this, but your mention of Buck O'Neil and his thought that "hatred will steal your soul" reminded me of the beautiful eulogy that Duke Ellington wrote for his friend Billy Strayhorn. He's a snippet:

"He demanded freedom of expression and lived in what we consider the most important and moral of freedoms: freedom from hate, unconditionally; freedom from self-pity (even throughout all the pain and bad news); freedom from fear of possibly doing something that might help another more than it might help himself; and freedom from the kind of pride that could make a man feel he was better than his brother or neighbor."

Peter

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 11:08:01 PM »
Given the happenings at Turnberry, I read Duel in the Sun by Michael Corcoran a few years ago.  It was a great read.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back