News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

cary lichtenstein

Calusa Pines
« on: April 28, 2006, 07:03:00 PM »
I played Calusa Pines today and was quite impressed by the work that Hurdzan and Fry did there.

It was once dead flat, and about 3 million cubic yards of dirt later, they fashioned this into a very interesting, challenging course with lots of topographical movement.

I would have to say that for dead flat Florida, quite a pleasing accomplishment.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Jimmy Muratt

Re:Calusa Pines
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2006, 08:24:32 PM »
Cary,

I've heard nothing but good things about Calusa Pines and hope to see it one day.  Can you describe some of your favorite features of the course?  Were the greens interesting and were there many risk/reward strategic decisions presented during the round?

I'll look forward to hearing your thoughts.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2006, 01:20:31 AM »
It's late, but I'll do a few:

Bunkering: Whoever did the shaping is one talented guy. Some of the most varied shapes, big, bold, with very sexy lines. Lot's of eye candy and challenging.

Greens were very interesting, with lots of Ross run off areas. You need to be speciifc with your irons coming in and if you miss your spot, you rescue shots have to be very specif as well.

I started on 10, hit the left ledge of the green with my 5 iron and took a double bogey after what I thought was a good lob wedge from the pine straw.

The greens were quick, difficult to read and speed dependent. Plenty of well struck putts would trickle 5 feet past.

Lot of risk reward strategic decisions presented with both irons into the greens and recovery shots. With the boldness around the greens, I think the course would play quite differently from day to day.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2006, 06:32:38 AM »
Cary

Isn't Calusa Pines a spin-off from Naples National? Disgruntled members forming their own club using Hurdzan/Fry and taking the head pro?

Have you played Naples National? If so, compare the courses.

Steve
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2006, 07:08:19 AM »
I haven't played Naples National, but I hear it is very difficult course.

I also heard that the new course, across the street under construction, called The Quarry, is being done by Hurdzan/Fry.

I haven't played many of their courses, so I would be interested in some comments on their courses.

Bette and I did play Stonewall, one of their's and did enjoy it, the only negative was the overuse of rocks, but I guess that's why they call it Stonewall.

I think most here on GCA panned that course, if I am not mistaken.

Tom Roewer

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2006, 07:14:15 AM »
Cary:  I have heard great things about Calusa Pines and have not played it yet.  In an article from Golf News it reports that it was the first course to employ TIFSport wall to wall in fairways.  It also reports that initiation is $175,000 and by invitation only, with a golf only experience. A developer builtit so I don't knoe about thatNaples National connection.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2006, 07:59:28 AM »
The condition of the fairway was perfect, you could hardly find a divot, I don't know the number of rounds played or the walking v cart traffic, but it would be interesting to find out.

rgkeller

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2006, 01:55:53 PM »
If one can't get into Seminole, there is no better Florida golf experience than Calusa Pines.

Kris Spence

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2006, 02:05:57 PM »
The shaper(2) for Calusa Pines were Jeff Karshner and Steve Coe.  They are two of the most talented guys you will meet in the business.  I was asked to provide some consulting between the project management and contractor during construction and was there a good bit.  Jeff was given a very long rope by Dana on the job and he ran with, as a team the created one helluv a golf course.

Jeff works for himself in south florida and every designer in the business would do well to employ him on their work, Steve works for the Course Doctors out of Hendersonville NC.  They deserve a great deal of credit for the success of Calusa.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2006, 03:44:37 PM »
Cary

The fairways are TifSport. Is The Quarry being built on their property?

This article appeared in Golf Course News in 2002:

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa4031/is_200202/ai_n9020045/print

Here is an excerpt:

Chensoff's Calusa Pines elevates golf in Naples
Overbeck, Andrew

NAPLES, Fla. - In order to compete in the everexpanding Naples golf market, developer Gary Chensoff knew that he had to create something radically different in order to elevate his new project above other area courses.

Chensoff, who was also involved in the development of the Rees Jonesdesigned Naples Grande Golf Club, has succeeded both literally and figuratively here with the November opening of Calusa Pines Golf Club.

Enlisting the services of Hurdzan, Fry Design, Course Doctors and superintendent Eric von Hofen, Chensoff transformed 550 acres of flat land into an undulating property that has 58 feet of elevation change and features the highest point of land in south Florida.

In order to reach such heights, Course Doctors, working with local mass excavator LeeMar, blasted through tons of rock to dig 72 acres of 25foot-deep lakes. Part of the two million cubic yards of fill from the pond excavation was then used to create the 15-acre landmass that encompasses seven holes on the private Calusa Pines layout.

ONE MILLION IN DYNAMITE

"This is a hard place to build a golf course," said director of agronomy Eric von Hofen who has worked at Calusa Pines since November of 2000. "You have to blast into coral rock to build ponds. We spent one million dollars on dynamite alone."

Once the blasting was done, the next challenge was forming the landmass.

"On the plans, it was 20 feet lower than the finished product," said lead architect Dana Fry. "The height of it was not as difficult as the scale of it. It is 58 feet high, but it goes on for a couple thousand yards in order to make it look natural."

The landmass was tied to the golf course through numerous sand and waste bunkers. There is one waste area that encompasses nine acres and the eighth green features a 27-foot tall bunker.

"Once we built that big earth mass, we had to keep water from washing the features away," said Course Doctors president Jim Sparks. "Our shapers Jeff Carsner and Steve Coe worked closely with Dana to tie in the finish work and bunker construction."

As Course Doctors completed the fine shaping, von Hofen followed behind with landscaping.

"We wanted to make the course look like it had always been there," he said. "We didn't want to build a big mound and leave it all grass." Von Hofen and his team planted 165 large oak trees (some as high as 45-feet tall and weighing 37,000 pounds), 1,200 pine trees and 900 sable palms. The final tab on construction topped out at $16 million.

Calusa Pines sports TifSport fairways and TifEagle greens, turf that von Hofen said will also set the course apart from the competition.

"We are the first course to open in south Florida with wall to wall TifSport on the fairways," he said. "It is more cold tolerant, more disease resistant and has less thatch build up. I had TifEagle greens at Sailfish Point Golf Club [in Stuart, Fla.] and it continues to exceed my expectations. We are cutting them at one tenth of an inch and have them rolling 11 feet on the Stimpmeter."
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

JC Jones

Re: Calusa Pines
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2009, 08:55:59 PM »
Bump.

I am bumping this as I will be moving to Naples in 3 weeks.  Is this still the gem of the area?  Does anyone have any pics they could post or any more comments?

Thanks
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2009, 09:04:15 PM »

JC Jones

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2009, 09:06:30 PM »
http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,32419.0/

Your search function capabilities are quite impressive.  ;D ;D For some reason, my search did not yield your thread.

Any new insights to add?
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2009, 09:10:38 PM »
The search works great when you search on the name of a poster. The general search does not work.

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2009, 09:45:58 PM »
Calusa looks pretty spectacular from the pictures in the other thread.  Where does it rank in the Hurdzan/Fry canon?  Their Shelter Harbor course in RI is one of my all-time favorite golf courses anywhere.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Bill_McBride

« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2009, 10:13:03 PM »
Bump.

I am bumping this as I will be moving to Naples in 3 weeks.  Is this still the gem of the area?  Does anyone have any pics they could post or any more comments?

Thanks

JC, as a guy who lives on the Florida Gulf Coast, if you are moving from Michigan to Naples, FL, you should wait until October.  Trust me on this.  ;D

JC Jones

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2009, 10:20:10 PM »
Bill,

I know, I know.  Trust me, I'd love to stay up here until October but my work requires me to be there mid-August through mid-May. 

Bill_McBride

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2009, 10:34:11 PM »
Bill,

I know, I know.  Trust me, I'd love to stay up here until October but my work requires me to be there mid-August through mid-May. 

So you can sweat along with the rest of us!  ;D

Actually, I'm headed for New Braunfels, Texas on Saturday, when the temperature there will be 103o.   :o

Hopefully it will have cooled off, maybe down to 99, when we play with Wyatt Halliday at The Bandit on Tuesday.  Otherwise, look for me in the Comal or Guadalupe River with a grandkid!

PThomas

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2009, 10:36:18 PM »
Calusa is quite good...an easy walk, the built in some elevation, and some terrific green complexes...better than Naples National for sure
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

John_Conley

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2009, 10:40:27 PM »
Bump.

Thanks

I think there are a lot of very good courses around there.  Hideout is super.  I love all five courses at Bonita Bay, but I'm hearing that some are closed.  Lots and lots and lots of super upscale housing development stuff.

Calusa Pines is fantastic.

JC Jones

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2009, 10:42:08 PM »
Bill,

So you can sweat along with the rest of us!  ;D

Actually, I'm headed for New Braunfels, Texas on Saturday, when the temperature there will be 103o.   :o

Hopefully it will have cooled off, maybe down to 99, when we play with Wyatt Halliday at The Bandit on Tuesday.  Otherwise, look for me in the Comal or Guadalupe River with a grandkid!

My wife and I are the rare ones who love the hot weather.  We've been in northern Michigan since the end of May and have seen less than a handful of 80 degree days.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back