News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mark chalfant

Brookville (Raynor) Long Island
« on: July 15, 2009, 09:45:47 PM »
Their  website  shows  photos  of several interesting green complexes and some old fashioned bunkering. Has anyone played Brookville in the past few years ?   The course is just a few miles from Piping  Rock....

Robert Mercer Deruntz

Re: Brookville (Raynor) Long Island
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 10:07:23 PM »
I've played the course in both recent incarnations.  Niether is really Raynor.  If Raynor really designed the course, then at some point it was dug up for the soil like the neighboring course(Cedarbrook) and surrounding neighborhood.  In 1990 I worked at Cedarbrook and played Brookvile quite a few times--it was a quiet club all about italian food that had a typical generic 60's low cost imitation RTJ course.  About 15 years ago the membership decided to do something about the course and brought in Gil Hanse.  This might have been a major learing experience for Gil.  Several greens came out way overdone.  For several years they have been doing some green softening work during biannual aerifications.  That being said, Gil built an awesome redan.  As for location, the 4th hole is located on Piping Rock Rd less than a mile from the PRC entrance.  Though I am not very enthused by the course, my own ball won the LI PGA Pro-Assistant tournament in 1998, so I have had some success on the course.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back