News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

James Boon

Anyone played Askernish?
« on: August 03, 2009, 01:05:40 PM »
I'm currently planning a holiday up in Scotland for my wife and I to celebrate our 2 years anniversary. We had gone to Mull for our honeymoon so the Scottish Islands have a special attraction to us. Now I didn't take my clubs on honeymoon (the only ever time I've been to Scotland without them) so I'm planning on taking them this time. My first plan was to tour around Arran, Kintyre the Islay but then I realised that there were too many courses (Shiskine, Machrihanish and Machrihanish Dunes then Machrie) and I would probably end up missing a couple (not wanting to spend too much time away from my wife).

Then it hit me! Head for the Outer Hebrides and play Askernish!

I've read a bit about the place and seen the clip from the BBC series Coast, but just thought I'd ask all on here if anyone has actually been up there to play it yet? And if so what your experience was like?

If I do head that way to either the Inner or Outer islands, its probably going to be for just over a week starting either 26 September or 3rd October. Its a long shot, but if anyone is out that way, I'd be more than happy to plan around a meet up? If its the Outer islands via a ferry from Oban I'm also thinking of sneeking in a round at Glencruitten?

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Bob_Huntley

Re: Anyone played Askernish?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 01:13:49 PM »
James,

Will you be getting to the coast via Fort William?

Bob

Phil McDade

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 01:41:02 PM »
James:

Glencruitten is a very funky, quirky, short James Braid design that's a pretty good example of how to fit a golf course on land that doesn't always lend itself to golf. A good club website here:

http://www.obangolf.com/

I will say it's a major hike to get to the Outer Hebrides -- much more of a hike than getting to the Kintyre peninsula. I have not played Askernish, but have played Shiskine, Machrihanish, nearby Dunaverty, and one or two others on Arran Island. A few days on Arran, combined with a quick hop over to the Kintyre peninsula for a few more days of golf, is a pretty good mix of golf, and some scenic parts of Scotland. (The view from the 2nd tee at the wee nine-hole Corrie course on Arran is one of my favorites in golf.)

Niall C

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 03:26:56 PM »
James

Whats that tosh about not wanting to be away from the wife for too long. Can you not teach the woman how to caddy ?

On you're proposed itineria, good to see you are thinking of going off piste. I haven't played Glencruiten but it came up on something else I was looking at and I planned to give it a visit. Looks an interesting course. I would be interested in hearing where else you get to once you've been. I think I would rather hear about some of these less glamourous/non-championship courses rather than the Troons, Turnberry's etc which we are familiar with.

Have a good trip.

Niall

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 11:00:26 PM »
James — I "played" a year+ ago. Howling winds, rain and lots of Scotch later on. You will not have a better time not matter how awful the conditions. It is a pilgrimage. I can honestly say it ranks among the top 10 of my golfing experiences, and believe me, it was way before prime time.
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

James Boon

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2009, 04:40:53 AM »
Thanks everyone,

Bob, assuming all goes to plan, I'll be heading up there via Oban and the ferry. But on the way back, probably the ferry to Skye so I would be heading back through Fort William I guess. Why?

Phil and Niall, thanks for the Glencruitten info and encouragment. My wife has in the last year or so showed an interest in golf, though its been a bit of a bad year for several reasons so its not really taken off for her. However, I found Glencruitten while searching for shorter but fun courses to possibly play with her if she ever gets serious. However, the caddy thing just wont work for her! If she wanders round with me I leave her to look at the scenery and the do the birdwatching thing...

Forrest, glad to hear it will be a great experience, but then golf north of the border usually is for me!

And lastly Melvyn, thanks for the IM. I'm just about to send you one back.

Hopefully all will work out, and I'll let you all know how I got on and post a few pics.

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2009, 10:32:28 AM »
North.....and WEST I might add!!    ;D
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Norbert P

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2009, 11:37:10 AM »
 Congratulations James, I think I speak for Bob Huntley as well when I suggest Traigh,      http://www.traighgolf.co.uk/   which is just north of Arisaig. The ferry docks just north of there at Mallaig, methinks.  A nice short course for the wife as well but uses the honor box system so I don't think they have rental clubs available. (She could probably just hit from your bag)  It's a very scenic area though so she'll probably be off combing the beach for oystercatchers and jackdaws.    The 2nd hole is one of my most memorable holes in Scotland -  a dune to dune tee shot with a hidden green hogged out of the ridgetop.  Fun intro 1st hole is par 3 doozy up a hill to a shelf of a green.   The website has maps, photos and descriptions of the place.   

We circumnavigated the Isle of Skye and it is a beautiful trek if you like mountains and ocean views, though they could use more places to pull the car over to take pictures.  I played no golf on the isle.   Spent a memorable night in the quaint but rousing town of  Plockton on the mainland heading to Dornoch.      Plockton - The Scottish Riviera.

Happy trails  ! 
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Jamie Barber

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2009, 11:48:30 AM »
+1 for Traigh

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2009, 12:04:12 PM »
Thanks everyone,

Bob, assuming all goes to plan, I'll be heading up there via Oban and the ferry. But on the way back, probably the ferry to Skye so I would be heading back through Fort William I guess. Why?

James,

Slag answered the question for me. I would not miss Traigh if I was travelling that way, it is an absolute delight.

Bob

Phil McDade

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2009, 02:06:52 PM »
Absolutely would recommend Traigh as well -- a very fun, but not taxing, nine-holer,with some stunning views out to Muck and Eigg and Rum.

It is a hike to get there -- the road from Fort William is quite scenic, but it narrows to one lane (I mean, one lane for both directions of travel) about halfway to Mallaig. And check the Cal-Mac ferry schedule to Skye -- it may or may not have service to the island in the non-summer months. (A real trip to nowhere is the little ferry from Mallaig to Inverie on the Knoydart Peninsula -- one of the few spots on the mainland of Scotland unreachable by car.)

Norbert P

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2009, 02:22:33 AM »
  After reading Robert Price's  geo-golf course book Scotland's Golf Courses  several years ago, I've been intrigued about Tobermory. Don't mean to sidetrack this thread but any experiences there from anybody?
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2009, 03:42:27 AM »

Slag

Check your e-mail

Melvyn

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back