News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Pitner

Re: Greatest course, despite the yardage
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2009, 03:34:46 PM »
None of them have actually hit a wooden club in 15-20 years.
Have you missed Mike Clayton's articles about Geoff Ogilvy?

Davis Love and Justin Leonard were playing wooden clubs in competition inside 15 years ago (into the late 90s, I believe). 

PCCraig

« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2009, 04:22:28 PM »
Old Elm at +/- 6400 yards and a scorecard par-73  :o

The course itself is very refreshing in a land of 7400 yard par-70 monsters.
H.P.S.

George Pazin

« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2009, 04:39:17 PM »
I contend that we continue to underestimate how good today's professional player really is.  They absolutely pillage any course under 6500 yards with anything short of a contrived set-up.

Bogey

Then how do you explain Rose not breaking par at New Zealand GC, which is about 6000 yards? Having putted the greens last week, they are true but nowhere near tour pace - the perfect combination for making plenty of putts. If it was purely about distance, he should have torn it a new arsehole.

I guess it depends on how you define pillage. One of the misleading factors is there is a lower bound to scoring, but no upper bound. You can put a tour pro on the easiest 6000 yard LPGA course and they're probably not going to shoot 60. Someone posted an interesting article about a year, maybe 2 years, ago about Steve Marino joining a Maryland sportswriter at his (the sportswriter's) home muni. The writer asked Marino what he thought he'd shoot; Marino replied something like low 60s, maybe even flirting with high 50s. He ended up shooting 68, if I recall correctly. I'll have to see if I can find the article.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back