News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Lyne Morrison

Inland 'links style' courses in OZ ??
« on: June 20, 2009, 02:39:49 AM »
Inland  ‘links style’ or minimalist courses of some merit in OZ – any thoughts / suggestions?

'Inland' being a hundred or so miles from the coast.

Thanks in advance.

Lyne
« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 03:00:05 AM by Lyne Morrison »

James Bennett

Re: Inland 'links style' courses in OZ ??
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2009, 03:35:44 AM »
Lyne

there is not much that is 100 miles from the coast in Australia, apart from desert.

Alice Springs has a Peter Thomson/Mike Wolveridge course, but that is in the centre of Australia.

There are a few courses along the River Murray, but only a few are worth seeing.

Perhaps Dubbo or Orange in country NSW might pass the test.

In SA, my one recommendation is Waikerie - great set of greens and no bunkers.  Just check on whether there has been rain/irrigation though.  Pretty good from late autumn through spring.  That said, Loxton has some interesting holes.

How silly of me - I have left out the obvious choice - Horsham.  two-thirds of the way from Adelaide to Melbourne.  Outstanding course.  Featured here recently following the bushfires.

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Josh Stevens

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2009, 04:09:23 AM »
James is correct, unlike the US or Europe, the interior is quite sparsely populated - remember it is a country the size of the US with the population of NY.  We all cling to the coast.

Royal Adelaide of course could be argued to be an in land links, but it is only a couple of miles inland.

The courses along the murray river were originanlly built from gambling - the Murray River is the border between NSW (where gambling was allowed) and Vic (where it was not) so a lot of courses were built on the NSW side in the 80's to atract the gambling and golfing set from Melbourne.  The law difference no longer exists, and so these places now struggle, but there are still one or two decent ones, however they were still products of the 80's and so a little silly.

Kooralbyn Valley was built some distance in from Brisbane in the 70's and was a fine bush course in the days, but has fallen on hard times in the last 10 years.

Lack of water is ultimatley the issue, but possibly the best by reputation was Horsham in Vic, M Clayton seems to speak its praises - however i have never played it and it was wiped out by the recent bushfires, no idea if it has come back.

Josh Stevens

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2009, 04:52:32 AM »
oops, of course we have forgotten Canberra.  Royal Canberra is very nice, altough it is famed more for its prettiness than for its architectural merit, but it is absolutley gorgeous - i speak of the orginal 18 holes, there is a new nine which is horrid.

Federal in Canberra is also rather nice.  Both are rather old and so somewhat minimalist

Rich Goodale

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2009, 05:07:00 AM »
If you define "Inland" as 100 miles from the coast there are not any "links style" courses in Great Britain either.  As far as I know, only the USA has the geomorphological history to have "links style" courses created in its interior.

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2009, 11:19:58 AM »
There are no inland links style courses in Australia - there are barely any real links courses by the sea.
Maybe Barnbougle,Port Fairy and Barwon Heads - not too much else but the Australians will chime in with others.
Horsham is the best inland course in the country  the fires went through it this summer but the pictures showed that the course looked less cluttered with pine trees.

Norbert P

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2009, 11:30:03 AM »
Coober Pedy looks like it might play linksy though I'm not sure if they have any turf. I wonder if the clubhouse is underground.

Coober Pedy Golf Course
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Rich Goodale

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2009, 11:36:18 AM »
Great find, Slag!

According to Wikipedia, "the Coober Pedy golf club is the only club in the world to enjoy reciprocal rights at The Royal and Ancient Golf Club of St Andrews."  Other reasons to visit the place are found in the following article:

http://www.gluckman.com/CooberPedy.Australia.html

James Bennett

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2009, 09:15:05 PM »
Great find, Slag!

According to Wikipedia, "the Coober Pedy golf club is the only club in the world to enjoy reciprocal rights at The Royal and Ancient Golf Club of St Andrews."  Other reasons to visit the place are found in the following article:

http://www.gluckman.com/CooberPedy.Australia.html

Rich

I think they can play on course #6 at St Andrews. Out of season?

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back