News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

BCrosby

Hogan on Wilson at Seminole
« on: June 19, 2009, 01:51:57 PM »
From the SI article about Hogan and Seminole:

"Hogan returned to Seminole one winter and saw that a bunker had been added to the right side of the 2nd fairway, a par-4 with an elevated green. Hogan asked his great friend George Coleman, a Seminole member, "Who put that bunker there?"

"Dick Wilson," Coleman said, citing the architect.

"Tell Mr. Wilson he knows nothing about golf course design," Hogan said. "His bunker is in the exact place a correct tee shot should finish.""

You could write a history of golf architectue organized around those who agreed with Hogan and those who didn't.

Bob

PCCraig

Re: Hogan on Wilson at Seminole
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 02:05:29 PM »
And if you were Dick Wilson wouldn't you of responded "well yeah and...."
H.P.S.

Jay Kirkpatrick

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 02:11:06 PM »
well... in the one time i played it, thats where i ended up.  pretty good angle from the bunker.

Michael Dugger

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 02:13:11 PM »
duplicate thread, this was discussed earlier this week.
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009, 06:01:35 PM »
From the SI article about Hogan and Seminole:

"Hogan returned to Seminole one winter and saw that a bunker had been added to the right side of the 2nd fairway, a par-4 with an elevated green. Hogan asked his great friend George Coleman, a Seminole member, "Who put that bunker there?"

"Dick Wilson," Coleman said, citing the architect.

"Tell Mr. Wilson he knows nothing about golf course design,"

I'd be curious to know if Hogan offered an opinion on # 18 after Wilson's redesign

Hogan said. "His bunker is in the exact place a correct tee shot should finish.""

The problem with many tour pros, even the great ones, is that they view architecture in the context of their own games.

If one is prone to a fade, that area might be a prefered DZ, but, it's not a prefered DZ for all golfers.

An architect must view architecture and the golf course as a disinterested party, favoring no one type of golfer.
Based on that comment, Hogan obviously viewed golf and architecture from HIS perspective and not a global perspective.

I believe Hogan declared # 6 as his favorite hole, another hole that favors a fade into the green.
I wonder what he felt about # 10, # 11 ?
I'm sure he loved # 13.
Actually, I'd like to know his opinion of each and every individual hole at Seminole.

You could write a history of golf architectue organized around those who agreed with Hogan and those who didn't.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back