News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom Yost

Green work at Chambers Bay #4 (with Photos)
« on: July 08, 2009, 10:18:11 AM »
I had the opportunity to visit the Seattle area a couple of weeks ago and the great pleasure to share a round of golf at Chambers Bay with local resident Rich Choi.   We managed a late afternoon round, teeing off at about 4PM, and finishing by 8:30 with still more than an hour of daylight left.  My previous visit to Chambers last August, came during a "heat wave" where I played mid-day with temperatures cracking 90 and not a breath of wind.  This time, I got to experience a little more of the typical weather, with a pretty stiff breeze blowing in from the sound and intermittent spitting rain. 

I remain awestruck by the serene beauty of the course and the stark contrast to what I'm used to playing in Arizona.  A fine time was had by all and I want to thank Rich for his hospitality and for treating me to an excellent post round meal.

Just wanted to share a few pics of the work that is progressing on the green at the 4th hole.

This shot from the tee shows the temp green and the grading being performed on the greensite and what appears to be at least 100 yards of fairway back from the green.

These two photos show the green from the 5th tee side.  Looks like the green has been enlarged considerably, a new area of egress created to route traffic to the 5th tee, and it looks like the bunker may be expanded around the right side of the green.

Tom Yost

Re: Green work at Chambers Bay #4 (with Photos)
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 10:25:36 AM »
A few more glamor shots.  The late afternoon light really makes for great photos with the shadows and the colors.

10th green with the flagstick silhouetted against the sky:

Colors and shadows (14th hole)

15th hole:

Finally, sharing one of Rich, who likes to see "all of the course."   ;D

Sean Leary

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 12:38:09 PM »
Nice towel Richard.

I am playing next weekend with Dr. Herreid. Looking forward to seeing the maturation as I haven't been back since last summer.

Rob Rigg

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 01:06:25 PM »
Great pics Tom - I have not had the chance to play the course with the 4th fully in play.

How are the other greens? I have heard good things about the speed and consistency.

Hoping to get back up there in August for another look - absolutely love the course - the terrain is magnificent as your photos display very nicely.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009, 01:23:56 PM »
Yes they are trying to soften the green a bit.

Tom Yost

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2009, 01:31:36 PM »
The greens, although a bit shaggy and slow, have good turf coverage (no bare spots) and rolled fairly true (not bumpy).   It does take some getting used to but does not detract from the experience by any means.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back