News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

TEPaul

Re: The Ideal Golf Links, by H. J. Whigham
« Reply #75 on: June 07, 2009, 11:16:05 PM »
"Shouldn't you be on a beach somewhere wearing a lei?"

That only lasted for 47 and 1/2 minutes and then the Avalon and NJ Police told me to get out of the town, county and state within the next two hours. Therefore, I returned to the farm by averaging 97.81 mph up the Garden City Parkway and the Atlantic City Expressway and mowed some paddocks so the horses can romp and play on "Firm and Fast" conditions while I spend 4-5 days in Hawaii impersonating and repopularizing the songs of Elvis Presley's Hawaian phase.

TEPaul

« Reply #76 on: June 07, 2009, 11:36:03 PM »
"Do you even understand the meaning of the phrase "except for this . . ."?  "This" refers to M&W's contributions.  "Except for" qualifies the remainder of the sentence. 

Except for M&W's contributions the entire responsibly for the design and construction of the two courses rests upon the Special Construction Committee..."   

Alan Wilson is crediting the Committee for that which M&W did not contribute. 

And the "in the main" language was also very much limited.  Wilson had finished writing about M&W and then writing about the contributions of the Committee.   

Do you understand the use of the conjunction "while . . .?"  In this case, is it used to create context and a contrast, similar to how one might use "although."

David Moriarty:

You know, the last thing either I or most of the participants on here need from you is some education on the English language, how to use it, read it and understand it! I have no idea at all who the hell you are or think you are but I can guarantee you I had a damn fine education including on the English language and I definitely DO NOT need your help in reading what Alan Wilson wrote and what he said and meant to say!

What Alan Wilson said in that letter to Philler and what he said about what Macdonald and Whigam did and what Hugh Wilson and his committee did does not mean what you distortingly tried to make it look like it meant.

Every day and in every way, your pompous and inaccurate thoughts and posts and contentions on here about Merion renew my desire to refute you every time you post something in that fallacious vein.

If you care about your reputation  ::) as you often say you do on here you better begin to rethink this charade of yours on the history of Merion or your reputation really will become unrecoverable on the general subject of golf course architecture as well. The best you can probably hope for on the INTERNET, at this point, is to be considered an incredibly fallacious and pompous asterisk!  ;)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 11:38:49 PM by TEPaul »

DMoriarty

« Reply #77 on: June 08, 2009, 12:33:08 AM »
I realize TEPaul is probably a bright man when sober, but he is not only incredibly rude, he is also extremely dishonest.  So whether or not he is sober enough or capable enough to understanding the source material, he is certainly unwilling to honestly deal with the facts.   

In my opinion, that is why he lied to all of us about the contents of the Alan Wilson letter.  It is also why he constantly writes about refuting my arguments but he can produce NO VERIFIABLE FACTS whatsoever that refute my argument.  The problem is the VERIFIABLE part.  Dishonesty and verification don't mix, and TEPaul is smart enough to know that.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 12:50:52 AM by DMoriarty »
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

TEPaul

« Reply #78 on: June 08, 2009, 01:58:30 AM »
"I realize TEPaul is probably a bright man when sober, but he is not only incredibly rude, he is also extremely dishonest.  So whether or not he is sober enough or capable enough to understanding the source material, he is certainly unwilling to honestly deal with the facts.   

In my opinion, that is why he lied to all of us about the contents of the Alan Wilson letter.  It is also why he constantly writes about refuting my arguments but he can produce NO VERIFIABLE FACTS whatsoever that refute my argument.  The problem is the VERIFIABLE part.  Dishonesty and verification don't mix, and TEPaul is smart enough to know that."

I strongly encourage you to come to Philadephia David Moriarty. Originally you said on here you wanted to learn as much as you could about Merion. After calling members and friends of Merion liars and scumbags, drunken douche bags, pompous asses, and such on a world-wide INTERNET website, and for what; disagreeing with YOU about your revisionist THEORIES of Merion's course's architectural history??  I think that time has come! ;) Don't you?!?

DMoriarty

Re: The Ideal Golf Links, by H. J. Whigham New
« Reply #79 on: June 08, 2009, 02:18:12 AM »

You are confused Tom, and understandably so, given [] the hour (2:15 AM Eastern.)   I called you these things.  Not your friends, not Members of Merion.  This is all on you.  You know why I called you most of those names.  For most of it, the record speaks for itself.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 12:34:00 PM by DMoriarty »
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.

TEPaul

« Reply #80 on: June 08, 2009, 02:28:56 AM »
"You are confused Tom, and understandably so, given your condition and the hour (2:15 AM Eastern.)   I called you these things.  Not your friends, not Members of Merion.  This is all on you.  You know why I called you most of those names.  For most of it, the record speaks for itself."

You did indeed! And believe me I'm not in the slightest confused by you or anything you've said on here. Come to Philadelphia and you will learn some important things about Merion and about consequences. Or you can decide not to and just keep doing what you've been doing on here and I will just hammer you harder and harder for the inaccuracies you put on this website. That's one of the most important missions of GOLFCLUBATLAS.com----to both set and keep the historical record of golf course architecture straight.

DMoriarty

Re: The Ideal Golf Links, by H. J. Whigham New
« Reply #81 on: June 08, 2009, 02:30:49 AM »

« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 12:33:25 PM by DMoriarty »

TEPaul

« Reply #82 on: June 08, 2009, 02:35:38 AM »
You shouldn't be worrying about me David Moriarty; you should definitely be worrying about yourself on here.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #83 on: June 08, 2009, 09:22:41 AM »
Guys,

This is absurd.

I enjoy healthy, if not passionate debates, but this has sunk to a level I didn't think possible on this site.

AND, over what ?

You should both be ashamed of your conduct on these threads.

I'm Signing OFF

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #84 on: June 08, 2009, 10:16:03 AM »

Gentlemen – Breaking News on the design of the holes at Merion.

I have deliberately held back from adding my two-penny worth to this debate, because my revelations will just add another chapter to the ongoing Merion debate. My research shows that the holes had all been previously designed and it was just a question of finding the right location to have them laid out.

So new evidence may be just about to come to light up the Merion debate. It may well upset and floor many of the current protagonists, may even question whether Merion was an American concept in the first place. May have the capacity to render the years of debate and the thousands of pages printed on the subject redundant   Because, IMHO the original design for the holes were actually done in Scotland well before the turn of the 19th century.

I have it on good authority or as reporters like to say ‘from a source close to the individuals concerned’ that each hole was effectively designed here in Scotland pre the 1890’s.  Detailed heart-searching and thought went into the preparation of such holes, which had some built in flexibility, in that they had the ability to accommodate most golfing terrains. The words ‘Land fit for Purpose’ seem to fit the bill. In fact, discussions were held at 7 The Links St Andrews on many occasions formatting these holes.

Whilst I will not claim that Old Tom was the designer, I would go as far as to say his hand could be seen on many of the great holes exported.  With CBM as his student plus keeping in close contact with Old Tom, as well as the fact that Wilson also checked out his work at Portrush and other courses on his visit to our shores in the early 20th Century. So I only claim Old Tom had some influence for the complexity of each hole but regrettable not the laying out of the course pre WW1.

So to those who thought they had all the answers, I am sorry but while you fight among yourselves, I will happily claim the moral high ground for the design and format of the holes and that the original idea for them dates back to the late 1800’s in a room at 7 The Links St Andrews. Unless, of course, you know better. ;)

Cool is the order of the day guys, otherwisw we know what Ran & Ben will do 8) 8) 8)

Melvyn     

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back