News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt_Ward

Re: The next US Open on Long Island ...
« Reply #50 on: June 04, 2009, 04:04:00 PM »
Pat:

To borrow a phrase used by Ron Reagan in his famous retort to Jimmy Carter -- there you go again.

Pat, you make the same mistake AGAIN -- WF/W and BB are far from similar. The only thing they have in common is that they are both in New York State. Likely if you have played the courses you would know this. If you have played them both and still can't fathom my previous distinctions of the two courses then you are truly blind -- no disrespect but it does apply partner.

Hold the phone again -- about this so-called "New York lovefest." Because of a quirk in scheduling the series of years from '02 to '09 featured four visits to New York. No one can assail SH because the course is utterly bulletproof. So, the E-Z thing to do is beat up on WF/W and BB. You can name any course you wish in the USA and nothing is as testing and man-sized as the West Course at Winged Foot. The only layouts that can make a stronger challenge to the Tillie creation in Westchester is Oakmont and when they greens are as vexing as they can be -- the South layout at Oakland Hills. After the '09 event -- the next available US Open slot will not be until 2016. For SH to be chosen -- that will have meant a space of a dozen years. That's fine with me and likely others as well.

Pat, check out the stats on what Winged Foot / West has provided to major championship golf. The record is there to be seen -- assuming your eyes are open. Until Davis Love III shot 269 in winning the '97 PGA (a scoring feat that's get lost goven what Tiger had shot earlier at the Masters that previous April) only one other winner had broken 280 (Fuzzy in the '84 US Open). The course has some of the finest green complexes in all fo golf and most of all -- what few realize -- is that unlike other Westchester storied layouts -- the site used for the 36-holes is fairly ordinary -- the sister East Course likely has the better overall terrain.

WF/W waited 22 years for a US Open -- more than enough time to sit on the sidelines. The return in 1997 for the PGA Championship was a stroke of good fortune for both parties. WF/W is certainly a prime layout that has been a major plus to any big time event contested there. When you say "weak" Pat you are certainly out there in the deep left seats because I have never heard anyone cast the course in such a demeaning light.

BB showed the way as a true and legitimate muni course on what is possible. The folks in the area -- and those outside the area who were cognizant -- knew full well what the Black has been about -- even when it was so-so to poor shape. I have no idea on how Erin Hills will do (assuming it gets a US Open) or what will be the case with Chambers Bay. Bethpage Black - minus a terrible concluding hole (an element I have stated several times over if you have bothered to notice) is a tremendous test in being able to drive the ball well and make flawless approach shots to the demanding elevated targets throughout the round. I salute New York State for working with the USGA in bringing to life what so many people knew as a doable thing. Bethpage Black paved the way for what will likely be more and more public venues for the championship. For that reason alone (plus the others I have provided) the course deserves to be a permanent member of the short list for courses being considered.

Pat, you have this silly idea that championship golf is some sort of political convention. That the "spoils" need to be evenly divided. The idea of sports -- world championship golf for that matter -- is to use the best of the best layouts. The USGA, to its credit, has made it a point to move the event to new layouts as well as maintain the traditional courses that have served it well in the past and continue to be a competitive test for what golf is now in 2009. I've said this before -- again you must read only what you want to read -- that I am a big time fan of the mountain time zone -- and hopefully someday the US Open will return there beyond having gone through the greater Denver area. The addition of the courses one sees today in the mountain time zone is encouraging but a US Open site at or beyond the level of those being used today is just not there now.

I've already explained the reasons for the other areas of the USA not having a US Open. Time of year -- the growing season, proximity to a major metro area, a club's membership / volunteer component, etc, etc are all elements being considered. No doubt course quality heads the listing. You mentioned all the courses you thought were US Open vintage -- I provided a response to all of them.

Let's talk about Baltusrol / re: '05 PGA. To the credit of the PGA of America and Baltusrol the wherewithal to stage the event on such short notice was a boom to both parties. Baltusrol was already on the outs with the USGA for a future US Open and seeing the opportunity for a PGA Championship they made a smart and very wise tactical move. The PGA of America, to Jim Awtery's considerable credit, knew that staying in the Northeast made solid sense. The NY metro area had been ceded to the USGA by the PGA and with the availability of Baltusrol they were able to make a follow-up call to the area after having had their flagship event at WF eight years earlier.

Pat, you may not realize this -- but Phil's win at the Lower in '05 was the icing on the cake. Baltusrol's leadership knew full well that
being pushed aside by the USGA would leave little real opportunities for a return to such a previous spotlight. The club worked well on such a short notice and pulled off a very successful event. Yes, the event was played in my home state but I'm just as able to say otherwise if the facts demonstrated such a thing. You snipe at me and my home state is way out of bounds.

One other thing -- Baltusrol is within the immediate NYC area and while tickets were slow to sell but all were sold out prior to the start of the event. Through Baltusrol's success with the '05 event -- the PGA of America rewarded its success with a return engagement in 2016.

By the way Pat -- talk about erroneous comments -- TCC balked at the PGA event because the logistics of hosting a major event were simply overwhelming for them -- see the '88 US Open and Ryder Cup matches as proof positive of that. You previously listed the club as a future US Open venue -- I hate to say this AGAIN -- but logistics in and around Brookline were among the worst I have seen in covering various events over the years.

Again, I have to say this -- Shinnecock Hills is every bit the equal of PB and Oakmont and deserves (if the club is interested) in being a continued site for the US Open. For you to trounce the NY area and with it SH -- you have exposed the anti-NY thesis that lies at the core of your arguments.

The NY area has the finest array of golf courses in the USA. You challenged me to state who else believes that. I mentioned Doak's name and you conveniently play the role of "let;s change the subject again." At the very top of the NY listing are several US Open worthy venues. Depth indeed is a strength of the area and as I said previously -- the differentiation between the courses chosen is also there to be seen and appreciated -- assuming ones' eyes and mind are open to that possibility.

Pat, Pinehurst #2 succeeds because of its long and storied history -- it's also not as remote as other locations you have trumpeted -- see Sand Hills and Bandon Dunes, as two that come quickly to mind. Erin Hills is also not that remote -- given the closeness to Milwaukee and the greater Chicago area.

One last thing -- try to realize what again you failed to notice -- the scheduling of events from '02 thru '09 is more of an aberation than a consistent fact. Like I said previously -- the spacing of US Opens to the NY area has generally been about four-five years apart. in 1974 WF/W hosted the event -- in 1980 Baltusrol Lower hosted it. In '84 WF/W did so again. Yes, in '86 SH hosted the event but it proved to be a stellar addtion to the championship and to golf in general. The US Open did not return again until 1993 at Baltusrol Lower. The next event was the '02 event at BB. Let's try to provide a bit more perspective instead of looking at the exception that has taken place this decade.

Oh, by the way, I don't need a real pizza sent to me. We have the best pizza in the USA here. Even though you made a major slip -- I'll still send you the "I love NY" baseball cap -- maybe I'll have the various Open sites and years held included on the sides of the hat so you wear it proudly ! ;D

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #51 on: June 04, 2009, 04:36:51 PM »
For me the silliness in this debate is that both sides have valid points... the Northeast the finest collection of points while there is a true need to have the Open & Amateur championships of our nation visit sites throughout it.

Steve Shafer's last comment though really should be given more of a careful read:

"What's the problem here? The US Open will be held at Chambers Bay in Tacoma of all places in 2015.   The trend is to some "new" public courses in the rota-seeTorrey Pines last year and perhaps Erin Hills and/or Cog Hill."

What is forgotten is that the Open & Amateur locations now need to be decided MANY years in advance for a variety of reasons. To criticise the USGA today for decisions made in 2002 & 03 would seem reasonable if what Steve stated wasn't true. The USGA is definitely expanding where it will hold these, and other national championships and looking for reasonable sites throughout the country.

In fact, if it wasn't for some very controversial and open-minded thinking on their part, the USGA would NOT have gone to bethpage in 2002 or even given it serious consideration. The choice of new locations such as Torrey Pines, Chambers Bay & Erin Hills can be DIRECTLY ATTRIBUTED to the incredible success at Bethpage in 2002. Without it We wouldn't have enjoyed the epic battle at Torrey last year.

Give the USGA  a break here... they are an old dog that has definitely learned some new tricks...

By the way, Matt is right in stating that WFW & BB are two very different courses. Of course he really doesn't know a damn thing about the Black!  ;D

Richard Choi

« Reply #52 on: June 04, 2009, 04:43:54 PM »
Kalen, I doubt that any city the size of SLC will host US Open any time soon.

If the going rate for the US Open tix are any indication (selling for WAAAAAAY below face value), the demand for US Open is down. Going to a small city like SLC will make that even more acute. I doubt that USGA wants to be any where near any site that has any chance of not selling out.

For you to host a Open, a major top 20 city has to be within a 2 hour drive (or SHORTER!).

Jay Flemma

« Reply #53 on: June 04, 2009, 05:06:12 PM »
I think they should look again at Oakland Hills.  I know it's held a PGA nd ryder cup and looks to be in that camp, but it would solve the problem of getting the Open to the midwest...and it's an order of magnitude or better than chicago's options.
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Kalen Braley

« Reply #54 on: June 04, 2009, 06:02:17 PM »
Kalen, I doubt that any city the size of SLC will host US Open any time soon.

If the going rate for the US Open tix are any indication (selling for WAAAAAAY below face value), the demand for US Open is down. Going to a small city like SLC will make that even more acute. I doubt that USGA wants to be any where near any site that has any chance of not selling out.

For you to host a Open, a major top 20 city has to be within a 2 hour drive (or SHORTER!).

Richard,

I wasn't trying to suggest the US Open be held here as I don't think it has a course that would be a good fit.  I was only trying to say that the area is more than big enough if they wanted to.

As for ticket prices, sure they are plummeting now, but I don't see this as a long term thing....several industries are suffering at the moment and golf is definitly not immune to price reductions and otherwise.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #55 on: June 04, 2009, 08:23:10 PM »
Kalen:

The issue is not whether SLC is capable in hosting the US Open -- my God, the Winter Games were played in the Park City area. The issue is whether or not an existing site has the wherewithal to do it now. Being somewhat familiar with the sites in and around the SLC area I don't see a viable candidate at this point.

If such a site were available -- I see no reason why the event would not sell out -- this is where Richard and I split apart. I also see the ticket prices fluctuating for a whole host of reasons. You can get some really good deals for US Open tickets now at Ebay and Stubhub.

Jay:

OH/S is really part of the PGA of America band wagon. The USGA doesn't like to have to follow in the footsteps of the PGA.

Phil:

Thanks for mentioning how WF/W and BB are two entirely different golf courses. To the credit of Tillie you don't see his work being so easy to pinpoint.

However, the argument here is far from silly as you mentioned in your last post. There are people -- who view anything associated with the greater NYC metro area with being overrated in a host of fronts. I've agreed with this to a degree but the idea that having there very viable NYC-area layouts can be hard for those who are so inclined to see NYC as the great evil in America in so many ways.

Golf was blessed to have used the NYC-area as a great launching pad for the designs that are here today. The talented architects of the Golden Age did extremely well -- and were blessed with great sites. How ironic that the greatness of WF is based on the fact that it's site is far from being really spectacular -- certainly far less so than the grand scale you see at BB and the majesty that SH provides.

The issue for me is really seeing to it that SH returns to the main stage. Yes, I am aware of the need for new courses and you and Steve said it so well -- other sites have been brought into the picture. It's no less critical for certain old time layouts that have kept up with the technology to still be used -- great to see Merion back on the scene -- a little less so in regards to the event going to Congressional again.

Phil, I find it so hard to imagine how anyone can really play down the qualities of Winged Foot -- can easily make the claim on being the best 36-hole facility in the USA.

mike_beene

« Reply #56 on: June 04, 2009, 08:37:20 PM »
I think even the Yankees have cut ticket prices in half.It frees up golf ticket money when baseball goes for under a grand.

Sam Maryland

« Reply #57 on: June 04, 2009, 11:14:09 PM »
Matt,

But you don't need immense populations to host a successful US Open.  Even SLC could host a US Open because between locals and people traveling from out of town, it would easily be a sell-out.  So i'm not buying that a US Open needs to be in an area with a massive population close by.

If the USGA was founded on the West Coast, the opposite would occur.  I'm not blaming the USGA per se, just saying that regional bias is built into the system and its very obvious to those of us who aren't NY homers.

You can take your group of 40 to the Wed. practice round at Bethpage for an average ticket price of about $6.50, I don't think that's indicative of a "sell-out".  Daily tix for official rounds are going for about 40-50% of face value ($42-$55 depending on the day, pretty sure face is $100/day).  Obviously we are in unusual times but what would those prices look like if the event were in SLC this year?  Hell, it might have to be a freebie like that 3M Senior Tour event!

(tix can be had at those prices on stubhub, FYI)

Matt_Ward

« Reply #58 on: June 05, 2009, 12:11:49 PM »
Curious to know how many people will be attending the event at BB ?

Might be a good opportunity to meet for drinks & food.

I will be there on Wednesday -- and can hook up either on the course or afterwards ...

Richard Choi

« Reply #59 on: June 05, 2009, 12:28:38 PM »
I would have to second Sam.

I had 4 weekly passes that I had to sell because I decided to go to Ballyneal with Jim instead. I probably lost $100 per pass, more if I waited longer to sell them.

The fact that the US Open being held in the most populus area in the country is taking a big hit is a pretty good indication that the demand is way down. And Kalen, I would argue that the period preceding today was not the norm. I think we all know that the good times over last 10 years were financed by nothing but hot air and we are not going back to those times any time soon.

Unless USGA is will to dramatically lower their prices (~20% to 30%), I would say the days of US Open sellouts may be the thing of the past. I am pretty certain that the speculation market will be dead after this year (and based on the number of tix available on Internet, that market was pretty big).

If I am USGA, I am not scheduling any US Open in ANY city that is outside the top 20 metro area. The risk is too great. Sure, Olympics will sell out even if you hold it in the middle of Arizona desert, but US Open ain't Olympics. Even if SLC had Oakmont nearby, I cannot see it hosting US Open.

Michael Ryan

« Reply #60 on: June 05, 2009, 02:38:47 PM »
Matt,

I'm attending Thursday, Friday and Sunday, but two of the days I'm hosting clients in our hospitality area and the third day I'm with my brother and good friends continuing our NY US Open tradition of consuming during the Friday round.  Golf Course Architecture comes up in conversation only after we have exhausted all of our bad jokes, insults, and proposition bets on the action.  To sum up, not much GCA talk at all. 

In fact, in reading this post and seeing that some folks want to make sure that the NY area doesn't see a US Open for a while, I can tell you that you have an ally in all of our wives and livers.

Looking forward to a great Championship on a well deserving host course in the greatest metro area in the world. 

Mike

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #61 on: June 05, 2009, 02:47:15 PM »
I'll be there from Sunday before the Open through the Monday after!

I'd love to meet and say hi to any and all who are there. IM me if you'd like.

Michael Blake

« Reply #62 on: June 05, 2009, 03:45:46 PM »

I will be there on Wednesday -- and can hook up either on the course or afterwards ...

No way.
Waaaaaay too crowded.

Though I was fortunate enough in 2002 to be in the NY Newsday tent.  Had lunch with Mike Milbury, Michael Pecca, and Alexi Yashin.  (for any of you hockey fans)  None seemed too happy to be there.  I think Newsday owns the Islanders and they 'had' to show.  I had to show some restraint as a Rangers fan sitting with them.

So I didn't chant:

Beat your wife Potvin, beat your wife, clap, clap.

Will MacEwen

« Reply #63 on: June 05, 2009, 04:24:12 PM »

No way.
Waaaaaay too crowded.

Though I was fortunate enough in 2002 to be in the NY Newsday tent.  Had lunch with Mike Milbury, Michael Pecca, and Alexi Yashin.  (for any of you hockey fans)  None seemed too happy to be there.  I think Newsday owns the Islanders and they 'had' to show.  I had to show some restraint as a Rangers fan sitting with them.

Did you manage to trade your ham sandwich to Milbury for his wallet and rolex?

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #64 on: June 05, 2009, 04:41:18 PM »
Michael,

You sound like a true blue-seater! And as any Ranger fan will tell you that is a badge of honor. My brother has a pair of seats up there for many years now. And like all true blue-seaters, who mostly lack common sense and anything close to a brain (at least in my brother's case ;D) he made a deal with the girl he lives with. If & when the Rangers would win the Stanley cup they'd get engaged. They did and he went out & bought her a big ring. The second part of the deal was that they would get married as soon as the Rangers win it a second time...

She stopped holding her breath quite a while ago...

Michael Blake

« Reply #65 on: June 05, 2009, 05:38:21 PM »
Will,

Milbury probably would've thrown in Pecca too, along with Rolex and wallet!

Phillip,

Good stuff about your brother.  I don't think that wedding will ever take place.

Pat Burke

« Reply #66 on: June 05, 2009, 08:30:50 PM »

No way.
Waaaaaay too crowded.

Did you manage to trade your ham sandwich to Milbury for his wallet and rolex?

He would have given draft picks too

Matt_Ward

« Reply #67 on: June 07, 2009, 03:49:51 PM »
While I'm very happy to see Oakmont getting the 2016 US Open -- I have to wonder if the controversy between SH and the USGA has really played out for it to have another Open there before too long.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #68 on: June 08, 2009, 02:39:13 PM »
While I'm very happy to see Oakmont getting the 2016 US Open -- I have to wonder if the controversy between SH and the USGA has really played out for it to have another Open there before too long.

matty, you have my digits, so buzz me in the media tent and we'll catch up...will you have a badge?

anyone else covering BB?
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back