News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill Brightly

Banks Restoration Plan and THANK YOU to GCA
« on: August 25, 2009, 10:26:56 PM »
I know this is a little self-serving (sorry, it is not meant to be) but with recent topics about promoting appreciation of architecture and dealing with the "Blank Stare", I thought some might enjoy a really nice article written about Hackensack (Charles Banks, 1928, New Jersey) prior to this year's Met Am.

Yes, I am quoted a few times  ;D, but the reason I am posting this is because I  learned so much about architecture on this website, and other places, in preparation before we hired an architect to start our restoration.  So I hope that some here might enjoy a story about a course returning to its roots.

http://www.metgolfer-digital.com/metgolfer/20090607/?pg=64&pm=2&u1=friend#pg64

Chip Gaskins

Re: Banks Restoration Plan and THANK YOU to GCA
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 10:36:30 PM »
Where does what Rees did fit into this?  The article wasn't clear...

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 10:37:05 PM »
Bill,

Hackensack is a terrific golf course that often gets overlooked due to the overall quality of the courses within a 25-50 mile radius.

Bill Brightly

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 10:53:58 PM »
Chip,

Rees was first hired in the 90's to oversee a bunker re-building project. At that time, he replaced many of the Gordon bunkers, which were sand-faced, with grass faces on the slopes. He did some other things, including some containment mounding that I do not care for, but to be fair, in the 90's he was NOT asked to restore, and the original plans were never considered. At the same time, we passed a resolution saying that any future changes had to be 1) recommended by our architect and 2) approved by a vote of the membership.

When we began our restoration process in 2005, Rees was given specific instruction to restore in the Banks style, and that is how he approached the project. I know he takes a beating here, but he and his lead guy, Keith Evans, really did a good job. In addition to putting back "Banks-style bunkers" they also recommended taking out mounding.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2009, 08:55:52 AM »
Thanks for posting the article. 

I think the template hole description could have been a bit better.  It reads like building the holes was largely an engineering exercise on each unique site.  CBM believed in strategic principles that could be used on every course he built but I don't know that I would call these "golf hole features."  Of course, I know many on the site believe that a template hole is just that.

Congratulations on the restoration.  Would you say that Rees does what his client asks for? 

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2009, 09:19:31 AM »
Bill,
I read the article in print and was happy to see you quoted. Good job.
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Bill Brightly

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2009, 09:33:54 PM »
Thanks for posting the article.  

I think the template hole description could have been a bit better.  It reads like building the holes was largely an engineering exercise on each unique site.  CBM believed in strategic principles that could be used on every course he built but I don't know that I would call these "golf hole features."  Of course, I know many on the site believe that a template hole is just that.

Congratulations on the restoration.  Would you say that Rees does what his client asks for?  

John, i could discuss the template description with you, but i was just so happy that the MGA Magazine picked up on Banks' link to Raynor and Macdonald! To me, it was one more small step in getting the GCA message out there a bit.

I wouldn't know how to answer that about all of Rees' work, but he did what we asked for at Hackensack. This was not a total restoration, but that made it a little tricky to do as well. Since so much of the course was NOT going to be touched, the new bunker work has to fit in with the old so as not to look disjointed, and I think Rees handled that very well.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 09:35:41 PM by Bill Brightly »

Tom MacWood

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2009, 09:59:28 PM »
Well done and good luck.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2009, 10:57:34 PM »

John, i could discuss the template description with you, but i was just so happy that the MGA Magazine picked up on Banks' link to Raynor and Macdonald! To me, it was one more small step in getting the GCA message out there a bit.

[/quote

I agree with you.  Just wish there was an easy way to communicate the strategic principles concept without the using the T word.

Do you think you guys will do more restoration work down the road?

Bill Brightly

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2009, 12:21:59 PM »
John,

The plan received from Rees and approved by the membership is being done over a number of years, and we are only about 20% done. In essennce, we have a "road map" for future changes to the course. This allows us to do the work in the off season, with minimal interruption of play, and we can flexibly apply capital expenditures as our yearly budget permits.   We did not assess the members for the course work, having just made an assessment for dam reconstruction and clubhouse renovation.

The hole I really want to see completed is our Road Hole, which will be just fabulous. Unfortunately, that may be the most expensive work and our board is being frugal in these challenging times...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back