News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Emil Weber

2 days of golf in Vancouver
« on: May 10, 2009, 03:02:52 PM »
Next week I'll hopefully have the chance to go on a 2 day trip to Vancouver with my dad. We'll have time for 2, maybe 3 rounds of golf. Is there anything of great architectural merit in the area? Any thoughts and advice are welcome! Thanks!

Bob Jenkins

Re: 2 days of golf in Vancouver
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2009, 04:17:47 PM »

Emil,

The course with the most architectural merit is clearly Capilano but it is private. I believe it is possible to get on late on weekend days but the fee is very substantial. It is the only Stanley Thompson course in this area. 

No. 2 would probably be Shaughnessy, one of the last courses designed by A.V. Macan. It too is private but they do have plenty of reciprocals with other clubs. It has had modifications since Macan laid out the course in about 1960, mainly in the bunkers as opposed to routing and other factors. It hosted the Canadian Open a few years ago and will do so again in 2011.

Probably the best suburban course would be the Ridge course at Northview, which used to host the Air Canada Championship. Northview also has the Canal course and both are good, although the Ridge is more intersting. Designed by Arnold Palmer and Ed Seay. The touring pros liked the course except for the fact it is about 45 minutes from downtown, in an agricultural area. In Vancouver, there are 3 munis, Fraserview, McCleery and Langara, which are all pretty could but Fraserview is the best.

Email me if you have time and hopefully I can get you more details.

Bob

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2009, 08:33:57 PM »
Vancouver BC or Vancouver WA? 

(I'm kidding, even though Royal Oaks in Vancouver WA is a really nice golf course)

Mikkel Hansen

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2009, 09:06:09 PM »
Hey Emil, for non private options, I would recommend

Seymour- Which allows public play on Monday and Wednesday afternoon. Very good parkland course.

King's Links- Is an interesting experiment in a Links style course on farmland in Delta.

Fraserview- a good city owned muni, where they have spent some money over the last couple of years.

Point Roberts- Is technically in the states, but it is on a small pennisula. Quick border cross and you get to a fantastic Graham Cooke designed golf course.

Are you flying into Vancouver, or driving from a particular direction?

Will MacEwen

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2009, 10:35:41 PM »
Mikkel and Bob pretty much cover it, but I would add Riverway, a muni in Burnaby, which borders Vancouver.  Like the Northview courses, it doesn't exactly feel like you are in the Pacific NW, but it is fairly central and good value.  Where you are staying is pretty important, as getting around the metro area can be a challenge.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2009, 10:39:28 PM »
Don't let anyone talk you into playing Furry Creek.   ;)

If you are a member of a private club, Capilano is quite willing to let you play (if your GM calls their secretary).  It's expensive as Bob says, but it's worth it, a truly top notch Golden Era Stanley Thompson course.  It's a wonderful walk with a masterful routing and great views.  Go for it!

Sandy Smith

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2009, 11:12:29 PM »
Hi Emil , just be careful not to play where they have just topdressed . Vancouver courses are just in the middle of doing this .
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 11:37:56 PM by Sandy Smith »
Firm greens, firmer fairways.

Greg Cameron

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2009, 07:48:41 AM »
One course not mentioned would be Westwood Plateau, Coquitlam,although the turf took a kickin from our worst winter in years.West Coast rainforest,Hurdzan/Fry,mountain golf.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2009, 12:30:05 PM »
The obvious choice is Royal Oaks. After that I guess your only other choice is Club Green Meadows. ;)
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

John Mayhugh

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2009, 12:34:05 PM »
I was fortunate enough to play Capilano last year.  Not sure how much it would cost you, but I agree with Bob & Bill that it is very much worth seeing.  In case you didn't see this thread before, here are some pics and discussion.
http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php?topic=38375.0

Emil Weber

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2009, 12:54:32 PM »
Thanks for the information, guys!

Mikkel:
We're flying into Vancouver

Bill and Bob:
Capilano would of course be kind of like a dream come true and yes, I am a member at a club, but it's in Germany and not private ;D How far is the drive from Vancouver? How much do you think it would cost?

Furry Creek, Westwood Plateau and Fraserview look the most interesting on the internet (of the public courses).
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 12:57:43 PM by Emil Weber »

Sean Leary

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2009, 11:22:59 PM »
Please do not waste your time at Furry Creek. One of the worst courses ever built. Seriously.

Will MacEwen

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2009, 11:31:06 PM »
University is another decent option that is fairly central.

Jason McNamara

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2009, 03:26:52 AM »
If one of the "big 2" isn't available, what about hopping on a coach for a day (all-day) trip to Whistler?  I realize it may not be the best option in this particular case (a very short visit), but how about it generally?

Emil Weber

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2009, 07:52:58 AM »
Sean:
Don't worry we won't play it ;D

Jason:
Good idea. We're open for almost everything!

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2009, 07:55:31 AM »
Good call, Will.

UBC is fun and accessible, in a nice setting near the University of British Columbia campus.
jeffmingay.com

Ian Andrew

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2009, 12:06:07 PM »
Don't miss the city - I would skip a day of golf to enjoy the city.

I would second UBC - not perfect - but fun.

I played Capilano last week - still one of Thompson's best - worth the effort to see the course.

Will MacEwen

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2009, 02:48:18 PM »
Emil - did you make it out in Vancouver?

Emil Weber

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2009, 03:48:58 PM »
Will -
I sadly didn't because something came across my plans on short notice. But my dad - who was on duty anyways - made it there and could well use your advice. Thanks everybody!

Jim Thompson

Re: 2 days of golf in Vancouver New
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2009, 10:50:42 PM »
Emil,

I don't know where you should play......
but I do know where you should eat!

You MUST go have dinner at the Chambar!  I was on business there in January and had three nights to have dinner.  The first night we went to the Chambar and it was sooo god we went back the next two nights.  It is a must and a good value.  It is the best food I have ever had regardless of price and it is a great value.  Enjoy!

Cheers!

JT

Here's a link http://www.chambar.com/

Have a LA POIRE MOROCCAN  for your first cocktail.

Then Moule Frites Coquotte for an app

and

Tajine d’aziz a l’agneau  for your main dish

Heaven!!!!
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 11:10:28 PM by Jim Thompson »
Jim Thompson

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back