News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Thomas Dai

Photography and architecture, construction, maintenance etc
« on: August 14, 2018, 04:22:13 AM »
Many of us herein take photographs as we play (or visit) a course.
I imagine there are many reasons why we do so.
Have you found that taking course photos has enhanced your appreciation of the architecture, the construction, the maintenance etc of a course or courses?
Has searching out locations and angles from which to take photos increased your understanding of a particular feature that the architect, the constructor, the maintainer has attempted to create or some subtlety that you perhaps wouldn't have noticed if you'd merely been walking down the hole?
Thoughts?
atb

Sean_A

Re: Photography and architecture, construction, maintenance etc
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2018, 04:55:12 AM »
ATB

I take photos to help remember courses.  Subsequently, because I hit the ball in some odd places, I discovered that golf is easily as much about the recovery shots as it is about strategy.  I don't know how often I found that recovery shots have the odd dichotomy of a better angle of approach or no option but a pitch out.  This is what really sold me on width many years ago.  I trust in width because I trust good archies to make width count by essentially providing recovery shots from good or at least have a go lies. While there will always be a place for harsh rough, water and excessive sand, the essence of golf is finding the ball and having a go...OR choosing to get back on the path of strategy and hopefully eliminate hanging oneself.  Anyway, using cameras for hindsight is wonderful.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2018, 08:01:03 AM »
I could not agree more with Sean's post, although I'm not sure I learned anything about that aspect from taking pictures.

What I did learn is that there is always a best angle to take a picture of a golf hole or green.  And if I can put the golfer in that best spot by placing a tee there, everyone will think the course is better because it's more beautiful.  That's why I keep insisting that the setting of the course is an integral piece - because it does influence design decisions.

I don't mean to say this is my main concern in design - playability and strategic interest outrank it.  But it's that much better when you can bring them all together.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2018, 09:58:17 AM »

I take pictures of specific shaping or natural features I like, and put them in a digital file marked "shaping features I like".  I look at them every so often in design, if something jogs my memory to make me think that pic might be the basis of something I want to use.

Ron Whitten used to do the opposite, and came up with a power point presentation he called "architorture."  That was always fun to watch.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Jeff Schley

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2018, 11:59:42 AM »
When I was coaching football, I would keep a cut up video of all the trick plays I liked from reviewing film of opponents.   I remember Boise State had some very good ones.  Also Fresno State and Texas were pretty creative.  I think I still have it somewhere in my files and cut tapes.  Miss the coaching days.
Similar to what Jeff just mentioned, there are no new ideas, there are versions of repeating those ideas that has worked under similar circumstances.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back