News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jonathan McCord

Golf Architecture in America
« on: May 17, 2009, 08:38:03 AM »
During a couple of visits to some Antique and Rare Book dealers this past weekend, I came across a 1st Edition of George C. Thomas' fantastic book.  Now I realize that the value of such a book will depend on the condition, but what does a 1st Edition of this book normally go for, and how are books such as this graded or rated to determine a value?

Are there any online sites that focus on early golf writings and literature?

Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated.
"Read it, Roll it, Hole it."

Tom_Doak

Re: Golf Architecture in America
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 10:51:16 AM »
Jonathan:

I am not an avid collector and I'm sure there are some here who can provide a more accurate price.

I suspect the book would have sold for well over $1,000 two years ago if it's in good shape.  However, the price of all collectibles should have fallen a bit in the past year.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 11:37:28 AM »
Jonathan, 'Ed Getka who we played with at Meadow Club a few years ago, has a friend who has a golf book shop at Pebble Beach.  Send Ed an email and he can get you in touch for an opinion.

Where are you these days?

Bill

Bob Jenkins

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 01:31:16 PM »

Jonathan,

Rhod McEwan, a book dealer in Scotland, would be able to provide an estimate for you. His website is  www.rhodmcewan.com

I just tried to find the Thomas book on a search of his site but it did not show up. That may be my lousy search skills or he does not have a copy of it in his collection. I would send Rhod an email.

There was another dealer I bought a few used books from named Grant Books. They are located in England. A Google search just now did not show them but they would also have some idea of price.

Having recently played George Thomas courses for the first time, "Golf Architecture in America" would be a good read.

Bob Jenkins

Jonathan McCord

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009, 02:23:18 PM »
Thanks for the information so far.  I have found a couple of 1st Editions that are signed by Thomas, but I have a feeling this increases the value ASTRONOMICALLY!  :o   A couple of sites I've found list the book between $900 and $1400.  Prices also seem to increase if the book is being sold around golf hot spots such as Monterey and NYC/Long Island.  I'm just curious as to what others have found out there in cyberspace and in local book and antique shops.
"Read it, Roll it, Hole it."

David Stamm

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2009, 03:02:19 PM »
Jonathan, the book goes for (without the dust jacket) anywhere from $600 to $1500 in the last couple of years. If (and that's a BIG if) a dust jacket is found it can double the price of the book. If there is a legit GT signature in the book, my guess would be the book would go for anywhere from $4000-$6000 (without dust jacket), depending on condition, from what I've seen in the past couple of years. I recently saw a first edition copy of Thomas book on Game Fish signed by him sell for $150, but obviously that book is not in as high demand than his book on architecture. The place Bill is referring to at Pebble is an excellent source for valuing something. There is a gentleman Ed knows as well who lives in Pacific Grove who has one of the best golf literature collections in the world, from what Ed has told me. He can give you an idea as well. As a side note, the Sleeping Bear reprint's go for several hundred dollars, while the USGA Collection reissue can be had for around $100. Hope this helps.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Michael Robin

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2009, 01:26:23 AM »
Jonathan -

I purchased a 1st Edition as a thank you gift from said shop at Pebble about 5 years ago. I payed around $900. I believe that shop has changed hands since then.

James Bennett

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2009, 08:57:07 AM »
Jonathan McCord

the book is outstanding - one of the best I have seen.  I was fortunate enough for Ed's friend Ron M (who used to work at Pebble Beach in the book shop) to sell me a reprint copy which I treasure.  As luck would have it, it was selling inexpensively in the old shop at the Venetian at Las Vegas a few days later (NLE I think).  I have been able to lend it to some people who have valued the book considerably - to my personal joy.

Personally, I love the content of the book.  I know of people who get really excited and value an original, especially a signed copy (including Ed and Ron, and Neil C down under).  The value of an original is up to you.  The content is worth reading again and agian, especially if you are fortunate enough to see a George Thomas course or two.
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

ed_getka

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2009, 09:15:38 AM »
Jonathan,
   The market for golf books is very weak these days. You could pick up a first edition of the Thomas book for approx. $400 if you are patient. About 10 years ago someone came up with a number of boxes of this book that had been sitting in a warehouse somewhere. At that time copies would sell for $600-700.
    One place to look for more reasonably priced books is with Peter Yagi who puts out a catalog periodically. Otherwise e-bay is the place to be looking for bargains. If you need any advice on how to find books on e-bay my friend Ron is quite expert at it. Let me know if you would like to get in touch. If you are ever in Pacific Grove you would be well-advised to stop by to see Ron's library. There aren't many superior to it in the world.
    Michael is correct that the Pebble Beach shop has changed hands a few years back.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back