News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Sweeney

Re: Golf in India pre-1860
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2009, 05:31:58 PM »
Melvyn,

I believe the oldest golf course outside the UK is the Royal Calcutta, founded in 1829.

Royal Calcutta Golf Club affectionately known as the "Royal" is synonymous with the game of golf in this country. Founded in 1829, Royal is the oldest golf club outside the British Isles, the oldest being the Royal and Ancient, St. Andrews in Scotland, the home of golf. The Royal truly has a history that would be a treasure for the archives of the game of golf.

http://www.rcgc.in/golf_course/history.php

Just curious if any of our well traveled group have played here?

Melvyn,

It appears that they have carts.

http://www.rcgc.in/schedule_charges/charges.php

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2009, 06:48:40 PM »

Tom

Well done, love what you have posted on your blog. It’s through sites like GCA.com that news and information is circulated, thus increasing our overall knowledge and understanding of the game.

Great map and enjoyed reading the information on your site

Melvyn

Pat

No matter what I say, you have a problem with me. You are the one who keeps bring up my great, great grandfather. 

As you say, I have no authority in the game of golf so what is your problem.
I have always said that I am voicing my opinions, so as an equal member with the same standing as you, do I not have every right to do so?
As to contributing information to GCA.com, I do so and have done so since joining.

I have been called many names on this site by people who consider themselves morally superior to me, yet that is the very thing they accuse me of being. I cannot win, in fact, I am not worried about winning, it is about helping others and passing on interesting information about golf that is more important for me. 

As for Carts, and all form of aids, etc yes it is repetitive but is that not the nature of golf and certainly this site. The classic is the annual top 100 course list and the debate that goes on forever. I have no problem with that, as it is all part of golf & GCA.com.

I will continue voicing my opinions in whatever direction they take. Those who call me names should take a long hard look at themselves before passing judgment on others.

Mike

Lived in Calcutta for 3 years, when young with my parents. My father was a keen golfer as you would expect, yet he always walked although not very often in the heat of the midday sun. No carts back then

Melvyn

Lyne Morrison

« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2009, 04:55:31 AM »
Melvyn – another interesting read, thank you.

I would have to agree that the Victorians were a hardy lot in many respects. I have always enjoyed looking over the wonderful collection of historic images on display in the Clubhouse at Royal Sydney. After having completed a round on a hot, sultry day I can’t help but admire the character of those early golfers who despite their heavy attire were determined to not have the climate interfere with their chosen sport. I imagine the conditions would have been similar in northern India.

1860 was early for Mrs B to be walking the links – by all reports the ladies did not play over the Putting Green of St Andrews until 1867 - although in 1855 Mrs Wolfe-Murray of Cringlettie is reported to have appeared regularly on the St Andrews Links with two clubs. It is said that she was ‘totally indifferent to the unsolicited opinions gratuitously expressed, she thoroughly enjoyed her game’.

I digress, but the pioneering spirit of Mrs B and Mrs Wolfe-Murray does make me smile.

Cheers - Lyne

Josh Stevens

« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2009, 05:20:05 AM »
I thiink Bothwell in Tasmania claims to have been established in 1822 and so a bit older that Calcutta.  Not sure what their documantation is like

Lyne Morrison

« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2009, 06:54:06 AM »

The website for Ratho (Bothwell) provides more detail.

http://www.rathogolf.com/2631350/ratho-golf-bothwell-tasmania-the-course.htm

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2009, 08:11:37 AM »

Lyne

The quality of a Lady always shines through.

GCA.com are lucky to have our own way-out down-under.

Hope you and the family are well

Melvyn

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2009, 05:14:10 AM »
Nothing like a bit of curry with your round...
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back