News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ben Cowan-Dewar

Feature Interview with Dana Fry is posted...
« on: March 12, 2009, 04:29:12 PM »
In a novel twist, this architecture website is only going to interview architects this year. Yes, a brilliant idea indeed. The feedback was fantastic last month from Ian Andrew’s one and we build upon that this month with the extremely well traveled Dana Fry. Many of your know Dana for his work with Michael Hurdzan, from Devil’s Paintbrush to Calusa Pines to Erin Hills. The great thing about his work is how it resists being stereotyped – there is no such thing as Dana Fry course per se despite his wide body of work.

As this interview reveals, he got his start with Fazio and worked closely with Mike Strantz and Andy Banfield. Dana now offers a truly global view of golf – both in his travels and outlook for future work. Indicative of that is the fact that this interview was conducted between three trips – two to Asia and one to Europe. For an industry that is going through tough times, it is great to see one of its good guys staying so productive.

Similar to Ran’s modest goal of world domination ;) for GolfClubAtlas.com, Dana’s array of international projects will no doubt lead to all the more work, as once you have played one of his courses, you typically seek out more – is there any greater compliment for an architect than that?

Joel_Stewart

Re: Feature Interview with Dana Fry is posted...
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 04:59:01 PM »
Well done.  Great photos, obviously not from Ran....

John Mayhugh

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 06:36:15 PM »
Another great feature interview.  Two things stood out to me:

1.  I need to add St. George's Hill to the BUDA trip lineup.

2.  His favorite hole at Calusa (the third) doesn't get too much discussion.  That's one tough short tee shot to the island-like green.

PThomas

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 07:00:54 PM »
Calusa Pines is a terrific course
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

PCCraig

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 07:21:42 PM »
I really can't wait to get out to see Erin Hills this summer.
H.P.S.

Rob Rigg

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 07:27:51 PM »
The opener at Devil's Pulpit . . . my first eagle ever!

Aww shucks guys, thanks for bringing back a really nice memory.

O yeah, enjoyed the interview too and especially liked the integration of photos. Actually hearing from the guys who design the courses is very very cool, cheers to what is shaping up to be a brilliant year of interviews.

Chapeau!

Matt_Ward

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 08:18:00 PM »
Dana Fry is one of the most knowledgeable people I have met in all my golf travels. A consumate professional and someone with unbridled passion for the game and the architecture associated with it.

I've had the opportunity to play a number of the designs he has done in concert with Mike Hurdzan. There are a number of favorites but like Dana I have a real love for what was done at Devil's Paintbrush -- quality land and a consistent effort for the duration of the round.

On a rating perspective I have to say his eye for various details is also among the best I have personally encountered. As good as the interview is -- meeting him in person is even better.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 11:37:31 PM »
Ben

Good idea about doing architect interviews this year. I'm sure many will have some extra time to be interviewed this year...unfortunately.

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Matt Day

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2009, 02:48:50 AM »
I read that interview and another dozen or so last night and was engrossed...excellent stuff

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2009, 12:26:43 PM »
Great insight. While I have not gotten to know Dana well, I have always enjoyed his enthusiasm and great passion for what he does. I fondly recall one of the first rounds I played as an ASGCA member — with the very low handicapped Dana Fry! To say he was kind and gentle on me is an understatement.

Devil's Paintbrush remains one of the biggest surprises and best golf experiences of the past several years. I was blown away by the creativity and risk taking — and fully enjoyed the golf.

One of my "tests" of a golf course is at which hole (1 through 18) would I be content with walking away and leaving the round. Devil's Paintbrush was a solid 18 — my typical scores are lower than 12, and this comes from a person who tries to find the good in nearly any course I play.
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2009, 02:32:18 PM »
Great interview.

I have played numerous Hurdzan & Fry courses (live in Ohio) and found his insight and how he ended up with Hurdzan quite interesting.

Scott Warren

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2009, 02:42:26 PM »
Did I read the interview wrong, or did Dana namecheck Royal Melbourne as a links course?

7.     Please discuss the allure of links golf to you personally. Is it your favorite form of golf? If so, why?

I love links golf and have played a lot of the most famous links courses in the world. Courses such as Royal Melbourne, Royal Dornoch, St. Andrews, Shinnecock Hills etc.., just touch the soul for golf purists. That being said I don't have a favorite form of golf.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2009, 07:01:23 AM »
I count Hurdzan/Fry's "Links at Hershey" (nee Wren Dale) as an under-appreciated gem.   Nah, it's not Pine Valley or Merion or Lancaster CC, but it's a helluva lot of fun.  Tough to beat for daily-fee in Central PA.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2009, 07:34:13 AM »
Having never played the sandbelt courses in Australia, how does Royal Melbourne differ from a links course, other than the obviousness of not being on a body of water?

I have not been disappointed by any Hurdzan/Fry course I've played, and that includes the somewhat-goofy Golf Club of Dublin.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Tom_Doak

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2009, 04:10:33 PM »
Ronald:

I would not term Royal Melbourne a links course.  Most obviously, it's not right near the sea, and it is surrounded by trees, although the playing corridors are wide.  Also, the terrain is gently hilly, as opposed to bumpy and undulating like true links courses generally are.  True, the wind does come into play more, and the surface is generally firmer and faster, than some other sand-based courses like Walton Heath or Sunningdale or High Pointe, but to me that is not enough to cross the line to "links".

For that matter, neither does Shinnecock Hills qualify, in my mind.

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2009, 07:05:51 PM »
Frankly, it's too bad Dana won't chime in here.
jeffmingay.com

Patrick Hodgdon

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2009, 11:38:04 PM »
Wow surprised it took me so long to find this thread and interview...

I had the pleasure of caddying for Dana at Calusa Pines a number of times and I will echo what the others said that he is a great guy. It was fun to hear the stories of the different holes and how they came to be.

I also had the pleasure of caddying for him and Jeff Bradley one time while I was there and it was great to hear him and Dana discuss the bunkers at CP. Cool stuff.
Did you know World Woods has the best burger I've ever had in my entire life? I'm planning a trip back just for another one between rounds.

"I would love to be a woman golfer." -JC Jones

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back