News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

A.G._Crockett

Re: Best Trips for GD 100 Greatest Public Courses
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2009, 06:23:30 AM »
Day 1

Arrive Myrtle Beach and play one round-Tidewater, Caledonia or Dunes Club.

Day 2

Play both Barefoot courses, drive to Kiawah

Day 3

Play both Kiawah courses, drive back to MB

Day 4

Play one round Tidewater, Caledonia or Dunes Club then depart or play two of these and depart later or the next day. 

This could get 6-7 courses on the list and if you do it a the right times you could do it at a reasonable price.

That's not only a great trip, but it would be the least drive time of any of the suggestions being made here.  As to the price, with the exception of the Kiawah courses, the $ are probably in line with the rest of the Top 100 list even during peak season.  At the summer rates, no other trip could touch MB for affordability.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Andy Troeger

« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2009, 09:06:59 AM »
You could (and some of you have) do very well with a New Mexico itinerary including:

Paa-Ko Ridge
Black Mesa
UNM Championship
Twin Warriors
Pueblo de Cochiti
Sandia/Santa Ana

rjsimper

« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2009, 09:16:58 AM »
Why the seemingly arbitrary "No more than 2 courses at a resort" qualifier?

PCCraig

« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2009, 09:59:41 AM »
How about;

Fly to Chicago (Midway) play Cog Hill #4.
Drive to Kohler, play WS and Blackwolf Run.
Drive to Lawsonia and play the Links,
Drive to Erin Hills
Fly out of Milwaukee

No Ocean but solid none-the-less
H.P.S.

Richard Choi

« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2009, 10:44:50 AM »
Why the seemingly arbitrary "No more than 2 courses at a resort" qualifier?

Because, then all you have to say is "go to (Pebble/Whistling Straits/Bandon) and stay for 4 days".

I want to make it a bit more difficult than that.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2009, 10:48:53 AM »
Andy:

Said it best -- the NM sixsome is a good place to start. Very E-Z to drive to all -- I favor his first four courses -- the other two are fillers. Likely you can add others as needed -- Isleta is one that comes to mind. The cost factor is also a plus for those wanting some extra $$ in your pocket.

Jason Topp

« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2009, 11:09:15 AM »
The SC Coast would be a pretty easy way to do this trip. 

Chris_Clouser

« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2009, 12:45:30 PM »
I know none of them are on the list, but you could just come to Indianapolis and play the best pack of overlooked courses in the country.

The Fort
Trophy Club
Purgatory
Brickyard Crossing
and any combo of Prairie View/Bear Slide/Heartland Crossing

within a two hour drive you have Otter Creek, Rock Hollow, Coyote Crossing, Harrison Hills.

extend that out to three hours and you can get to French Lick, Sultans Run, the Warren Course, Glendarin Hills, Belterra, etc.

And with the exception of Belterra, Brickyard and French Lick, you can play all of them for $50 or under. 

Why are we so concerned with getting additional notches in our belt?  I thought we were above all of that... ;D

PCCraig

« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2009, 12:57:34 PM »
I know none of them are on the list, but you could just come to Indianapolis and play the best pack of overlooked courses in the country.

The Fort
Trophy Club
Purgatory
Brickyard Crossing

within a two hour drive you have Otter Creek, Rock Hollow, Coyote Crossing, Harrison Hills.

extend that out to three hours and you can get to French Lick, Sultans Run, the Warren Course, Glendarin Hills, Belterra, etc.

And with the exception of Belterra, Brickyard and French Lick, you can play all of them for $50 or under. 

Why are we so concerned with getting additional notches in our belt?  I thought we were above all of that... ;D

Chris-

I agree with your assessment of Indiana and it's public courses. I will admit there isn't much nightlife, but the golf is fantastic for the cost. The Fort and Prarie View are both worth the trip IMO. No Kampen course on the list?
H.P.S.

Chris_Clouser

« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2009, 09:35:16 PM »
Pat,

Andy Troeger and perhaps a few others will back me up on this, but I was not a big fan of Kampen.  The current maintenance of the course hides the design value that exists there.  And to be honest I think there is a lot of other Dye courses that exceed it in the state on the public side of the equation.

If they ever change the maintenance practices at the facility then it deserves a  second look. 

Matt_Ward

« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2009, 12:32:54 AM »
Chris:

I forgot to mention the greater Indy area -- superb golf and fees that are very reasonable.

When I see an overall top national public listing and I don't see at least one or two of the Indy courses in the mix I know that far too many panelists simply give the huge benefit of the doubt to the better known and higher priced alternatives.

A pity -- because the State of Indiana is blessed with some solid alternatives even though many people might think that basically flat land cannot be so appealing. A visit to the courses you mentioned would clearly demonstrate how much in error the previous statement is.

Sean_A

« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2009, 04:54:52 AM »

The Fort
Trophy Club
Purgatory
Brickyard Crossing

Chris-

I agree with your assessment of Indiana and it's public courses. I will admit there isn't much nightlife, but the golf is fantastic for the cost. The Fort and Prarie View are both worth the trip IMO. No Kampen course on the list?

I must be turning into a crusty old bastard.  I am finding it harder and harder to get really excited about pure golf trips for anything more than one or two nights.  I have always been one to want to enjoy the area I visit even if it means not playing every day.  This is why I would be attracted to a place like Charleston (I really enjoyed my recent few days walking the city and poking my nose about) or Santa Fe over a place like Myrtle Beach any day for a golf break.  I have an extreme dislike of strip mall culture and I don't much see the point in spending money to visit this sort of thing when great alternatives are out there.  With this in mind and knowing that I am not overly fussed about playing the best courses so long as good and interesting courses are on the itinerary, do folks know of cool areas to visit where golf can be combined with some of the more pleasurable aspects of life?  For some reason I have been drawn to Cooperstown not only for the Baseball Hall or Leatherstocking (which I assume is public) but also because I have an idea its a cool area to visit, but  don't have a clue if this is true or not.  Am I somewhere in the ball park of accuracy?  Are there a few other public courses nearby which could get the blood pumping?

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Roger Wolfe

« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2009, 06:05:30 PM »

The Fort
Trophy Club
Purgatory
Brickyard Crossing

Chris-

I must be turning into a crusty old bastard.  I am finding it harder and harder to get really excited about pure golf trips for anything more than one or two nights.  I have always been one to want to enjoy the area I visit even if it means not playing every day.  This is why I would be attracted to a place like Charleston (I really enjoyed my recent few days walking the city and poking my nose about) or Santa Fe over a place like Myrtle Beach any day for a golf break.  I have an extreme dislike of strip mall culture and I don't much see the point in spending money to visit this sort of thing when great alternatives are out there.  With this in mind and knowing that I am not overly fussed about playing the best courses so long as good and interesting courses are on the itinerary, do folks know of cool areas to visit where golf can be combined with some of the more pleasurable aspects of life?  For some reason I have been drawn to Cooperstown not only for the Baseball Hall or Leatherstocking (which I assume is public) but also because I have an idea its a cool area to visit, but  don't have a clue if this is true or not.  Am I somewhere in the ball park of accuracy?  Are there a few other public courses nearby which could get the blood pumping?

Ciao

We tried only playing 18 one year out of 15.  We sat there in a bar looking at eachother then immediately sped off to the nearest course to play golf into the twilight.  A good trip is the optional 2nd 18 for the crazies (like me) or alternate shot.  I rarely have the opportunity to play guilt free, unencumbered golf and the trips are my only time to take advantage of that freedom.

Eric Smith

« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2009, 09:55:50 PM »
With this in mind and knowing that I am not overly fussed about playing the best courses so long as good and interesting courses are on the itinerary, do folks know of cool areas to visit where golf can be combined with some of the more pleasurable aspects of life?
Ciao

Sean let me offer up one of my favorite locales, have you ever been to Hilton Head?  I'll vouch for it as far as fitting your description above 8), having lived there for a few years and still going back often.  It's relaxing...go for a walk on the beach, play golf, ride a bike, eat a bunch of shrimp, have a few beers...and since you loved Charleston, I have no doubt you would enjoy Savannah, one of the most beautiful southern cities, full of history and a short 45 minutes away.

If you've been following the tour event this week, (as a side bar to CBS television coverage, check out Stewart Cink on Twitter  http://twitter.com/stewartcink ), you'll hear over and over again how this week is overwhelmingly those guys favorite 'laid back' week of their work year.

But you probably already know all of this!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back