News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Bert

1. With conditions ideal for scoring this weekend - little rain in sight, no wind, nice temps - for the first time in several years and with scores looking mighty low this morining, will this finally prove to all the naysayers wrong that they sucked the scoring and fun out of Augusta National?  It seems like we've had a few years of abnormally low temps or tough cinditions couple with the changes that have led some to draw unfounded conclusions.

2.  Are they going to overreact and toughen up the course for the weekend, or will they continue to allow the scoring?

3. Can we really say that people are excluded from the "able to win" list if Larry Mize can start -5 through 14 holes?  I hope Greg Norman feels appropriately ashamed for his whining comments about not being able to compete.

4. Will the tournament committee react the wrong way for next year if the scores again reach -10.

5. For those benefitting from watching instead of peaking at the leaderboard - are the cheers and the fun accompanying the early scores?

George Pazin

Re: Masters - A couple observations based on a half-day of results
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 04:03:23 PM »
1. With conditions ideal for scoring this weekend - little rain in sight, no wind, nice temps - for the first time in several years and with scores looking mighty low this morining, will this finally prove to all the naysayers wrong that they sucked the scoring and fun out of Augusta National?

No, people make up their minds and will not change them. Ever. Period.

2.  Are they going to overreact and toughen up the course for the weekend, or will they continue to allow the scoring?

Yes, they will overreact, everyone does.

3. Can we really say that people are excluded from the "able to win" list if Larry Mize can start -5 through 14 holes?  I hope Greg Norman feels appropriately ashamed for his whining comments about not being able to compete.

We can say anything we want. Facts don't matter, only loudly voiced opinions matter.

4. Will the tournament committee react the wrong way for next year if the scores again reach -10.

Yes. Bet the farm.

5. For those benefitting from watching instead of peaking at the leaderboard - are the cheers and the fun accompanying the early scores?

Coverage is just coming on, I will answer this question in approx. 60 seconds.

Any other questions, just let me know.

:)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Anthony Gray

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 04:15:08 PM »

I hate the mindset that they have to defend the course and not allow for low scoring. Let the best proove they are the best by going low.

Nice topic.

Anthony

David_Tepper

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 04:34:32 PM »
With Furyk, Katayama, Clark, Weir, Mize & Todd Hamilton at or near the top of the leaderboard, we can lay to rest the notion that short-hitters cannot compete at the Masters (at least in good weather!).

Paddy Harrington at -3 is impressive and a serious threat to win. 
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 04:46:14 PM by David_Tepper »

John Kirk

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2009, 04:56:04 PM »
It's too easy...toughen it up.

Do we really have a strong objection to Augusta National as the best American course?  Our man Tom Doak has noted that his favorite shots are those played away from the hole.  I've seen a steady diet of those shots today.  It's just fantastic.

Campbell moves to -9 after 15!

John_Conley

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2009, 05:02:17 PM »

Campbell moves to -9 after 15!

Will someone shoot 62 in one of the four male professional majors?  I used to expect it in the early part of the decade and when it didn't happen I figured it wouldn't for a long time.

He's thisclose.

jkinney

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2009, 05:07:54 PM »
Let them score. The Masters should not try to be like the U.S Open. Right now it's a hard enough driving and putting course. That these guys are chipping and putting like demons is a joy to watch.

John Kirk

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2009, 05:15:21 PM »
To make sure I am not misinterpreted, I was kidding about toughening it up.  The course looks brutally difficult, and the it will be windy and dry another day.

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2009, 06:54:42 PM »
For what it's worth, Jim Nelford said on TSN's pregame show that 14 pins were in accessable positions. Will there be that many on Friday or Saturday? Sunday's pins are largely traditional, some accessable, some not.

But it sure sounded loud on the telly (and on the Internet feeds) today.
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Bill_McBride

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2009, 06:55:39 PM »
To make sure I am not misinterpreted, I was kidding about toughening it up.  The course looks brutally difficult, and the it will be windy and dry another day.

John, according to the scores today, "brutally tough" might apply to me but not to the field.

Jeff Evagues

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2009, 07:10:12 PM »
If conditions are so perfect, why is it taking 5 hours to play?
Be the ball

jeffwarne

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2009, 08:14:37 PM »
With Furyk, Katayama, Clark, Weir, Mize & Todd Hamilton at or near the top of the leaderboard, we can lay to rest the notion that short-hitters cannot compete at the Masters (at least in good weather!).

Paddy Harrington at -3 is impressive and a serious threat to win. 

can we also lay to rest that it's too long.
amazing-finally get some weather and the roars reappear.
Even Greg Norman was able to play it :o

On a side note, watching the ESPN Classic Masters last night, it was amazing all the reasons Norman gave for bad shots (and I grew up a huge Norman fan-and I'm pulling hard for him this week)
....a tight sandy lie, mud on ball.....very gracious but always a reason.
Tiger gets a tight sandy lie and has a shot for that circumstance, mud on the ball-another shot---Tiger explains what he had to overcome and why it worked out, Norman why it couldn't be done
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

JSlonis

Re: Masters - A couple observations based on a half-day of results New
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2009, 08:41:34 PM »
If conditions are so perfect, why is it taking 5 hours to play?

It was close to 5 1/2 hours by the time the last few groups finished.  The simple fact is a large % of these guys play REALLY slow.  I attended the 2nd round last year and that was the one glaring thing I noticed that day.  It takes them a very long time to play a shot, hit a putt, you name it.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 11:25:26 PM by JSlonis »

Bill Gayne

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2009, 09:26:13 PM »
I think it's going to be great tournament that can be won by 20-25 players but in the end it will require posting a four round total of nine under to win.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2009, 09:42:43 PM »
Tim - I'll observe that there's magic in the ground there.  Today I watched the stylish Jose Maria Olazabal, floating through on the spirit of Augusta, and thinking of Seve.

Peter

John Handley

« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2009, 10:21:10 PM »
I was at the tourney all day.  the conditions were absolutely ideal.  Some guys were on fire while others were struggling (ie. Mickelson, Anthony Kim etc.)  Realistically, Par today was 70.  Chad Campbell was unconscious until 17 and 18.  I fully expect the tournament committee to toughen the pins tomorrow but not go overboard.  16 was so easy.  One group I watched, all 3 guys made birdie and then 2 of the 3 in the next group.  But all in all, it was awesome and the red numbers were fun.
2024 Line Up: Spanish Oaks GC, Cal Club, Cherokee Plantation, Huntercombe, West Sussex, Hankley Common, Royal St. Georges, Sunningdale New & Old, CC of the Rockies, Royal Lytham, Royal Birkdale, Formby, Royal Liverpool, Swinley Forest, St. George's Hill, Berkshire Red, Walton Heath Old, Austin GC,

Doug Siebert

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2009, 02:12:44 AM »
I've noticed that the winning score is usually only a couple shots better than the low round on opening day.  So I'm going to call the winning score as -10.
My hovercraft is full of eels.

John Kirk

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2009, 01:31:12 PM »
Todd Hamilton 6 under par?  Welcome back!

Tiger "lurking" at 3 under.

rboyce

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2009, 03:08:36 PM »
just want to point out that John Paul Newport of the WSJ is writing the most interesting reports about the Masters that i have seen. he writes for the golf fan more than the general sports fan.

Jason Connor

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2009, 03:17:01 PM »
just want to point out that John Paul Newport of the WSJ is writing the most interesting reports about the Masters that i have seen. he writes for the golf fan more than the general sports fan.

Do you have a link?
We discovered that in good company there is no such thing as a bad golf course.  - James Dodson

rboyce

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2009, 04:03:57 PM »
unfortunately it's mostly a blog so it's hard to link to. here's the entry i was thinking of...sub may be required...

http://blogs.wsj.com/dailyfix/2009/04/09/an-accidental-pep-talk-for-danny-lee/

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back