News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Carl Nichols

Re: Great Tree Pictures on Golf Courses
« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2008, 09:37:42 PM »
Cool looking tree at Desert Forest #16 (par 5, about 530 from back tees).  Also well-placed, since getting the best angle requires the player to challenge the tree, as the bottom pictures try to show.  The last picture is from left and past the tree. 

Tom Naccarato

« Reply #51 on: December 05, 2008, 08:51:02 AM »
Some great pictures. Trees do have a place on a golf course--just not golf course inundated with trees. One of the major problems is when an architect introduces trees that are not natural to the site itself.

However, here is a course wherre the tree works for me. I don't know if it still exists since my last visit to this course, but certainly it help make a serene picture--almost as if the place was heaven.

Here's another:

Jason Connor

« Reply #52 on: December 05, 2008, 11:56:52 AM »
From my home course, Mike Dasher's North Shore GC, our most spectacular oak (unfortunately the photographer isn't as spectacular):

We discovered that in good company there is no such thing as a bad golf course.  - James Dodson

Tony Gorski

« Reply #53 on: December 06, 2008, 09:00:48 PM »

Not a big fan myself, but nonetheless...........#17 at Shadow Creek....

« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 09:04:21 PM by Tony Gorski »

Tony Gorski

« Reply #54 on: December 06, 2008, 09:17:16 PM »

great natural backdrop to Colorado Golf Club par 3 #2....

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #55 on: April 09, 2009, 12:58:58 PM »
I thought these were worthy of transplant to this thread.

Aidan Bradley described this one thusly “…stunning in it's state and extremely statuesque. Looks vibrant to me in it's final  years.”

Courtesy of Ian Linford (both are from Stanford; hole 10 and then hole 11):

I thought these latter trees evoked the look of haggard golfers making their way back to the clubhouse.

From Mike Benham (Aetna Springs in northern CA; hole 6)

Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Bill_McBride

« Reply #56 on: April 09, 2009, 02:17:52 PM »
Ari Techner needs to post some pics from Eugene because they are the biggest trees I have ever seen on a golf course. Most importantly Hakeem !!!!!!

Matt, have you seen the Giant Sequoias on Columbia-Edgewater in Portland?  Eugene's are nothing compared to those skyscrapers?  The website doesn't do them justice: www.cecc.com

Stephen Britton

« Reply #57 on: April 09, 2009, 05:57:07 PM »
I took these Monday at Augusta.

Clubhouse Oak.

Huge Magnolia branch at the end of Magnolia Lane. (gauge the size with the cop car in the background)

Juniper by the practice range.

Ike's tree.

Wisteria on the par 3 course.

Magnolias in between 9 tee & 1 green.

Magnolia by the clubhouse.

Huge Magnolia & leaning Pines left of 8 f/way
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 05:21:24 PM by Stephen Britton »
"The chief object of every golf architect or greenkeeper worth his salt is to imitate the beauties of nature so closely as to make his work indistinguishable from nature itself" Alister MacKenzie...

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #58 on: April 09, 2009, 09:39:21 PM »
Stephen, that oak is golf's answer to the clock at Grand Central Station.

Here are a few.

Great tree, but I'd just as soon see it gone:

And one of the great trees in golf:

Anyone got a pic of the NLE lime tree at The Addington?

Mark

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #59 on: April 09, 2009, 09:48:57 PM »
A picture from behind Pacific Grove Golf Links #17 from my personal stash.

Technically, I didn't take this shot on a golf course, but you can see Pebble Beach Golf lLnks in the distance.
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Damon Groves

« Reply #60 on: April 10, 2009, 01:16:21 AM »
The eucalyptus at Monarch Dunes number 5 in Nipomo CA. Feels like a cathedral.   

James Bennett

« Reply #61 on: April 10, 2009, 02:06:40 AM »
The 18th at Buckinghamshire north of London.  It is a par 5.  This ball is just right of middle!  It was very late in the day.
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #62 on: April 10, 2009, 02:38:02 PM »
The eucalyptus at Monarch Dunes number 5 in Nipomo CA. Feels like a cathedral.   

Those trees affect play much more on holes 12 and 13. On twelve, I saw a fellow GCAer hit a tree on the left of the fairway, ricochet into a tree on the right, and then finish in the center about 30 yards closer to the hole than he started. Good stuff. Fun course.
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

John Moore II

« Reply #63 on: April 11, 2009, 04:17:39 PM »
Chip,

After nearly 40 years of playing golf, this long par three at "The Pit" in NC still sticks in my mind as the absolutely narrowest golf hole I've ever seen.

If memory serves, it plays about 215 from this tee, but even when I was young and foolish I believe I took a 7-iron from the tee just to try and keep the ball in play.   I don't believe I succeeded.

And it looks narrower from the tee than it does in this picture. That green is also about the size of a car windshield. And I think from those tees its about 230 yards. To me, its really a poor golf hole. I mean, I have nothing against tiny greens and I have nothing against a par 3 requiring a long iron, but add them both together and than add in a 10 yard wide approach corridor and 4 or 5 feet of room around the green where you can miss and not be in the weeds, its gets a little excessive.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back