News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Peter Pallotta

Re: "DESIGN INTEREST"
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2009, 09:32:03 AM »
Jeff - thanks again. Don't get me wrong - I'm not a very good player. But I do enjoy trying to hit shots (fades, draws etc), and I do start feeling a little, I don't know, 'embarrassed' if it is too obvious that the designer is helping me too much.  Your last post reminded me of the B Darwin idea, and like always he puts it very well - i.e. most of us are rabbits, but we want to FEEL like tigers every once in a while...

Peter 

BCrosby

« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2009, 09:34:22 AM »

There is not a top 100 paintings so why is a top 100 golf courses so important?

Good question.

Ross Tuddenham

« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2009, 09:35:29 AM »
Peter

That was sort of where I was going, in that without really knowing it you may have a bit of increased confidence you otherwise would not of had and in turn this made you try the TIGER shot.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2009, 09:59:31 AM »
Peter,

So true.  Its one thing to be constantly condescending so you can never feel like a Tiger and another to make things so difficult that you can never feel like a Tiger.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Rich Goodale

« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2009, 10:09:46 AM »
To be honest I was surprised and confused about the emphasis placed on rankings/ratings in these discussions.

There is not a top 100 paintings so why is a top 100 golf courses so important?

Au contraire, M. Tuddenham

http://www.productionmyarts.com/arts-et-marche/51-a-75-oeuvres-fr.htm

Biased towards the later artists, to be sure, but so are the golf course lists, are they not?

Anthony Gray

« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2009, 10:13:55 AM »
Ross,

Thanks and congrats on joining me in "nonratersville"!

Looking for that lost shaker of salt.

Ross Tuddenham

« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2009, 10:19:06 AM »
Ok, of coarse some groups will compile a list but in a serious debate about art or architecture, which I class as art, the piece is judged against similar works but not by a list of the so called 100 best.  In some cases it will not be compared because it may be new and innovative.

A new artist does not create something to end up in the world’s top 100, they do it to showcase something that will provoke emotion and make a statement.  It would be weird if suddenly Picasso was slightly less sought after because Dali had few more ahead of him in the top 100.  It just strikes me as too easy a way to dismiss or elevate a design because it meets pre set criteria of what should be.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2009, 10:30:32 AM »
Ross

I fully agree with you, except with the statement that golf course architecture is "art."  List are silly, but they have somehow been embedded in our DNA.  "Compare and contrast" represents much of what we do socially as human beings.

Reading your post more closely, I must also take issue with the implication that golf course architects (if they are indeed artists) do what they do in blithe disregard as to how they are going to be rated by the public, or even "experts."  Just as painters build their fortunes depending on what their work can sell for, golf course architects build their fortunes on how their works are rated, by publications and/or by their customers.

Ross Tuddenham

« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2009, 10:42:37 AM »
Sorry I meant architecture with respect to buildings and structures, should have made that clearer.  I also don’t think lists are silly we all like having a browse through them, I was more wondering if like it appeared people regarded them as the best indicator of what the best courses are.

You are also correct in saying anyone who produces something does it for an audience, fan, client etc but usually after they have established their style.  It just so happens the ones left are the ones that style sells.  Further the comparisons with art only go so far.  I also wonder whether a top 100 list reflects what the average golf punter expects from the consumption of golf.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2009, 11:18:58 AM »
Yes, Ross, to say "silly" is silly.  Maybe taking them too seriously is silly.

Cheers
Rich

Davis Wildman

« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2009, 11:31:47 AM »
Ross,

Thanks and congrats on joining me in "nonratersville"!

Looking for that lost shaker of salt.

So, you musta found that bottle of Tequila  :P

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back